• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Carpenter to play Guard when he returns.

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
By Brady Henderson

The Seahawks aren't sure when right tackle James Carpenter will return from a serious knee injury that cost him half of his rookie season. What they do know is that their 2011 first-round pick will be playing a new position.

82486.jpg

James Carpenter​
Coach Pete Carroll told "Brock and Salk" on Monday that the Seahawks are moving Carpenter to guard.

"We would look at James – we want to see him play inside when he comes back. We want to see him play one of the guard spots," Carroll said. "He'll be a monster. He'll just be a monster when we get him right. It's going to be a bit but we're really excited about that."
Carroll's comments confirmed a decision that has been speculated since Carpenter tore his ACL during practice in November and was replaced by Breno Giacomini, who played well enough to earn a new two-year contract.
Carroll didn't specify which guard position Carpenter will move to, but it's safe to assume he'll be playing on the left side, which Carpenter has said he's more comfortable with. Injuries forced Carpenter, the 25th overall pick in 2011, to start the regular-season opener at left guard before playing the next eight at right tackle.
Carroll offered no timetable for Carpenter's recovery other than to say "it's going to be a bit." The Seahawks placed Carpenter on the Physically Unable to Perform list to begin training camp.

Idahawk

Reaction score
He doesn't have the footwork to play outside I completely agree with giving him a shot at the inside and going from there.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Thats all well and good, but this is a black mark on their drafting ability. They reached to get Carp, and then now he's a gaurd. You dont draft a gaurd in the first round unless his name is Hutinson or DeCastro.
I think we are light at OT now, and heavy at Gaurd.

Idahawk

Reaction score
I would agree with Carpenter being a suspect pick at the time,who isn't . I think the logic was that he came from a strong program with a good coach- pro style and has the size and would develop as a pro. I remember the chatter about his feet back before the draft so I believe the FO and coaches thought it was something they could fix, now I'm assuming his injury may have something to do with the move. If he wasn't mobile before he is worse now, so move him inside and let him stuff the pile

Reaction score
I'd say a LG is about the same value as a RT. I think he's going to be an absolute beast inside. I like Moffitt a lot too, swing McQuistian out to RT and we'll be set.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Breno is at the RT spot, and heard he is plain nasty. Carp can be a mauler on this inside, I would think he would to to the RG, the strong side then, the conventional run side. But I guess that is Moffett's spot.

Reaction score
Yeah, I think Breno played pretty solid at RT down the stretch. I can't see McQuistan replacing him. I think its his position unless he all of a sudden has a drop off.

Reaction score
Cable said Breno would be the one guy he'd take with him into a dark alley....

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9941442&p=1007&n=

An endorsement from a badass like Tom Cable who punches his assistant coaches for being stupid ;D

I recall Breno getting into it a few teams with defensive players and playing way past the whistle. He would not back down or get intimidated and always came to the defense of a team mate. That is what I want in my offensive linemen.

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Cable said Breno would be the one guy he'd take with him into a dark alley.....

That is impressive praise.

I guess the verdict is still out on rather Carp is a bust, I still can't decide if his pick or Irvins was more of a shock. I think putting him inside was a good move.

I was sure we were going after DeCastro in the draft but in hindsite I can't wait to see what Irvin can do.

Top Bottom