• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Curry retires, what a bust.

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
the League

Aaron Curry announces his NFL retirement on Twitter
  • _Rosenthal1-65x90.jpg

• By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The League Editor
  • Published: Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:17 p.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 28, 2013 at 02:47 p.m.
email-card-title.png

Friend(s) EmailYour EmailSend Email
  • _Rosenthal1-65x90.jpg
  • By Gregg Rosenthal
More Columns >
One of the most disappointing and confounding top-five draft picks of the last decade has decided to retire from the NFL.
Aaron Curry, taken No. 4 overall in the 2009 NFL Draft, announced his retirement via Twitter on Wednesday. He recently was cut by the New York Giants.

"After a lot of prayer. Consulting with God. The best thing for my family and myself is to retire from the @nfl. I enjoyed it #DeliveredDefender," Curry wrote.
The Wake Forest product universally was touted as the "safest" pick in the 2009 draft, proving there is no sure thing. Curry's intelligence and athleticism gave him the look of a plug-and-play starting linebacker.
Former Houston Texans general manager Charley Casserly called Curry the "best linebacker prospect" he'd seen in 10 years. The Detroit Lions reportedly considered taking Curry at No. 1 overall.
Curry never played fast at the NFL level, and there were open questions about his desire to be great. His fall from grace is another reminder of how imperfect the draft process can be.
The top five picks that year: Matthew Stafford, Jason Smith, Tyson Jackson, Curry and Mark Sanchez. It's not a great sign that Sanchez is the second-best player in the top five.
The "Around The League Podcast" is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
One of the more perplexing busts in recent memory. Almost everything about Curry indicated low bust potential. He was arguably bigger and/or stronger and faster than Cushing, Matthews and Laurinaitis, on the surface the best of an outstanding LB class. I never felt it was a lack of a desire to be great neither, he badly wanted to excel in the NFL. But something was missing that is pretty much unscoutible. Some might knock the Hawks for even taking a LB at #4 but there are a lot of LBs out there who have come and gone who I'd trade for the #4 pick in a heartbeat, Matthews being one of them. So if Matthews turned out to be worth a #4 in hindsight, then why not Curry? Then one can say, "ok, then why didn't they take Matthews at #4 instead?" Well, because no one would have. He didn't grade out that high, which further shows how convoluted the whole process is.

Top Bottom