• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Seahawks Cyber surfing: Friday

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Good morning. Here’s what’s “out there” about the Seahawks for today, Dec. 2:
Danny O’Neil at the Seattle Times recaps the Seahawks’ 31-14 victory over the Eagles on Thursday night, from Marshawn Lynch’s incredible effort on his first TD run to David Hawthorne’s interception return for a TD: “Marshawn Lynch ran over, through and around the Eagles to the tune of 148 yards — the most by any Seahawk in five years, and then when Philadelphia was threatening to make a game of it, Hawthorne took off in the other direction. Seattle’s middle linebacker — who wasn’t even sure he would be able to play because of a sore knee — stepped in front of Philadelphia’s LeSean McCoy for an interception he returned 77 yards for a touchdown. ‘When I caught the ball,’ Hawthorne said, ‘I was like, ‘Man, I know the end zone is this way, why haven’t I got there yet?’ “
Jerry Brewer at the Times focuses on how Lynch wasn’t just running to pay dirt, but a big payday: “Really, there’s just one thing left to be said regarding Lynch. Pay up. He will be a free agent after this season. Pay up. The Seahawks have begun the season with a different running back in each of the past five years, but they have found The One, and he’s only 25 years old. Pay up.”
Steve Kelley at the Times focuses on wide receiver Golden Tate, who got the first start of his two-year NFL career and made the most of the opportunity “Working from the left slot, Golden Tate ran up the middle of the field and cut left toward the corner of the end zone and waited as Tarvaris Jackson’s pass hung in the air for what seemed like a tick too long. This was a catch a playmaker had to make. This is a play Tate is supposed to make. A jump ball play. And this time Tate made it.”
Eric Williams at the News Tribune says that Lynch’s no-quit effort on his first TD run matched the effort of his team in the second half of the season: “The Seahawks (5-7) have won three of their past four games, and coach Pete Carroll is giving his players until Tuesday off to get some much-needed rest in preparation for their last contest in a three-game home stretch – a Monday game with NFC West rival St. Louis. ‘Maybe some teams quit at this time of year, but we’re still trying to do something,’ Carroll said.
Dave Boling at the New Tribune focuses on the diversity of Lynch’s two scoring runs: “At times, Lynch is a nasty mass of pumping knees, stiff arms and steely determination. How many yards does he get after contact? Dang near all of them. But then he finds a crack and shows a surprising burst, and can unleash the kind of open-field move that can bring a linebacker to his knees. Thursday, Lynch’s first touchdown seemed an impossible escape from inside a knot of Eagles. Hidden in the cluster, Lynch kept churning his feet and the line kept pushing. Somehow, Lynch dematerialized and reappeared outside of the scrum to score on the 15-yard run that left almost everyone on the field grasping for a description. …The second-quarter score was a beautiful breakaway behind impermeable blocking. Speed was the mode of operation employed on this one, and he sprinted 40 yards untouched.”
John Boyle at the Everett Herald looks at the eerie feeling the Seahawks had after taking a 17-7 lead, which matched their lead against the Redskins on Sunday that evaporated as the Redskins scored 16 points in the final 10 minutes: “For the second time in five days, Seattle had a 10-point lead against a beatable opponent, and less than a week after blowing that lead, the Seahawks weren’t about to let the same thing happen against the Philadelphia Eagles. And instead of falling apart in prime time, the Seahawks finished strong to beat the Eagles 31-14. ‘We all felt like we let one get away,’ linebacker David Hawthorne said of last week’s loss to Washington. ‘We were in the same situation tonight. … It was kind of the same scenario, and we just honed in and got the job done today. It was amazing.’ ”
Speaking of amazing, Rich Myhre at the Herald takes along slant on Lynch’s evening: “Health-wise, Marshawn Lynch was less than his best on Thursday night. But when it came to getting tough yards and making big plays, the Seattle Seahawks running back was too much to handle for the visiting Philadelphia Eagles. Lynch, who was battling a stomach illness — he appeared to be vomiting on the sideline late in the game — churned for 148 yards on 22 carries with two highlight-film touchdown runs in Seattle’s 31-14 victory over the Eagles at CenturyLink Field.”
Christian Caple at PI.com looks at the injury left tackle Russell Okung got late in the game: “Second-year left-tackle Russell Okung suffered a pectoral injury late in the game after being flipped to the ground by Eagles defensive end Trent Cole, an injury coach Pete Carroll indicated could be significant. ‘I didn’t see the play where they threw him down, but he got hurt,’ Carroll said. ‘He has a pec injury that doesn’t look good right now. From what I heard, it was really an unnecessary play that didn’t have to happen. You guys will probably see that. I don’t know if you saw it upstairs or not. He got thrown down and hurt his right shoulder or his pec or something. We’ll find out in the next day or so.’ ”
Mike Sando at ESPN.com says the Seahawks simply wouldn’t be the same without Lynch: “The last time the Seahawks shelled out top dollar for a running back, Shaun Alexander went into Ceased Mode. The former MVP took the money and couldn’t find anywhere to run. He was finished within a couple of years. That cautionary tale came to mind Thursday night when Marshawn Lynch shifted into Beast Mode. … The raw numbers Lynch is posting – 148 yards against the Eagles, his fourth 100-yard game in five weeks – are enough to justify a new contract once his current deal expires in the spring. But it’s how Lynch produces that makes him less dispensable than the typical running back. His running style is the very foundation of the offense coach Pete Carroll has vowed to build around.”
Sando also has his “Rapid Reaction” to the game, including what he liked: “Seattle established its ground game – again. The team fed off Lynch’s power running. Pass protection was generally good enough, breaking down mostly when Tarvaris Jackson held onto the ball. Jackson had third-down completions for 21, 26 and 25 yards in the first half. Two of those plays sustained separate touchdown drives. Kam Chancellor picked off Vince Young to end the Eagles’ opening possession, the first of four interceptions by the Seattle defense. Brandon Browner, plagued by penalties in coverage this season, broke up a deep pass at the last moment after initially getting beat. Browner also picked off two passes, giving him three interceptions over the past two games. Second-year receiver Golden Tate caught a touchdown pass for the second week in a row. The athleticism that appealed to Seattle when Tate was at Notre Dame showed up on two plays, including his leaping TD grab in the back of the end zone.”
Here at Seahawks.com, we’ve got another take on Hawthorne’s interception: “It was definitely the longest run I ever imagined myself running,’ Hawthorne said. ‘Usually in my dreams, I get them right around 20 and I take them him. But that was a long one. I could never be a kick returner. I would quit.’ ”
Our “Game at a Glance” recap features the obvious choice for “Player of the Game,” with some not-so-obvious praise: “He was the key today to their offense,’ Eagles coach Andy Reid said. ‘And we didn’t do a good job of stopping him.’ Added defensive end Trent Cole, ‘He’s a freak; just a freak. I don’t know how to explain it.’ ”
There’s also Tony Ventrella’s video review, a photo gallery and a feature on Chris Clemons that was featured in last night’s GameDay program.

b.gif
h9Tsyv6WpCE

Source: Seahawks.com

Top Bottom