• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Cyber surfing: Sunday

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
110821-clayton-whitehurst-600.jpg

Good morning. Here’s what’s “out there” about the Seahawks for today, Aug. 21:
The Seahawks opened their home preseason schedule with a 20-7 loss to the Minnesota Vikings at CenturyLink Field, a performance that left coach Pete Carroll to offer, “I was disappointed.”
Steve Kelly at the Seattle Times writes about how QB Tarvaris Jackson remained poised and, more importantly, mobile under heavy pressure from the Vikings’ pass rush. Says Kelly: “Escapablity. It is the most important asset for a Hawks quarterback this season. For most of the first half Saturday night the Vikings’ defensive linemen came after Jackson as if they had some grudge against their former teammate. (For the record, they don’t.) They hit him almost every time he dropped to throw. Jackson stayed cool.”
Also at the Times, Danny O’Neil looks at how Charlie Whitehurst not only took over for Jackson in the third quarter, but took charge. Offers O’Neil: “All Whitehurst did once he replaced Jackson in the third quarter was complete his first seven passes and 10 of 11 throws for 79 yards on Seattle’s only scoring drive. His 3-yard touchdown pass to tight end Anthony McCoy on the first play of the fourth quarter cut Minnesota’s lead to 13-7. About the only thing Whitehurst didn’t complete was Seattle’s comeback.”
Mike Sando at ESPN.com looks back at three things from the game, and he also deals with the pass protection: “Don’t be fooled by the stat sheet, which showed only one sack against Seattle quarterbacks. The Vikings hit Jackson repeatedly. They had 10 quarterback hits overall. There were some breakdowns in one-on-one matchups.”
Eric Williams at the News Tribune examines how the No. 1 offense has yet to score in the preseason. Says Williams: “They’re still staring at zeros. After two exhibition games, the Seattle Seahawks’ starting offense has yet to put any points on the scoreboard. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll hoped to establish some much-needed momentum for anointed starting quarterback Tarvaris Jackson. However, Jackson’s debut in Seattle on Saturday night was a continuation of his lukewarm play as the Seahawks fell to Minnesota, 20-7, at CenturyLink Field.”
Also at the News Tribune, Williams and Doug Pacey combine on a notebook that leads with Golden Tate’s hand in the loss: “Then the ball slipped through Tate’s hands and landed in the arms of Minnesota’s Marcus Sherels, who returned it 64 yards for a touchdown that gave the Vikings a 7-0 first-quarter lead. ‘It was lack of focus on my part,’ the second-year receiver said. ‘It was a great throw. It was all me. I didn’t watch it in. It went through my hands … the other guy picked it off, ran it back. All in all it was a good throw, I was where I was supposed to be, and I just didn’t make the play.’ ”
John Boyle of the Everett Herald also writes about the disappointing effort in the home opener: “Saturday night provided the first extended look at Seattle’s new-look offense led by quarterback Tarvaris Jackson. It also showed that said offense still has a ways to go between now and when the regular season kicks off next month.”
Christian Caple at PI.com has quotes from both locker rooms. Said Vikings coach Leslie Frazier: “We wanted to be in this game and establish an identity upfront with our offensive line along with our defensive line. I thought we really got in a rhythm with our first unit and that was encouraging.”
Here at Seahawks.com, we’ve got a game story that focuses on Charlie Whitehurst saying the right things when asked about competition for the starting job: “I’m kind of competing against myself,” Whitehurst said in the locker room after the Seahawks’ 20-7 loss to the Minnesota Vikings at CenturyLink Field. “I’m trying to be as good as I can and help the team in any way they ask me.” Diplomatic, but also direct and to the point. “I motivate myself,” he said. “The external stuff, I don’t think it really factors in. I’m trying to be as good as I can and whatever happens happens.”
There’s also the game at a glance, with Whitehurst as the player of the game, as well as Tony Ventrella’s video review and a photo blog from Rod Mar and Corky Trewin.

b.gif
FpkW7CdDFYg

Source: Seahawks.com

Top Bottom