• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Cyber surfing: Tuesday

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Good morning. Here’s what’s “out there” about the Seahawks for today, Oct. 25:
Danny O’Neil at the Seattle Times looks at the possibility that Charlie Whitehurst could get another start in this week’s game against the Cincinnati Bengals at CenturyLink Field. Offers O’Neil: “Backup quarterbacks are like communism. They tend to work better in theory, while real-world applications can be a little more problematic. … ‘It was a hard go,’ coach Pete Carroll said (of Whitehurst’s effort against the Browns). ‘I think that’s the toughest time Charlie has had in the games that he’s played in. I know he didn’t feel real good about it.’ Hard to think of anyone outside of Cleveland who felt good about it. But Whitehurst is still the backup, and he may be needed again this week since Carroll could offer no guarantee Jackson will be ready for Sunday’s game.”
O’Neil also offers “three things we learned” from the loss to the Browns, including: “The growing pains aren’t over: So you thought the Seahawks turned a corner, huh? You believed the last game and a half constituted the Great Leap Forward as the Seahawks scored a total of 57 points. Well, that wasn’t a step backward in Cleveland or a stumble, but a full blown face plant. Seattle gained 137 yards, the second fewest of any game going back to the start of the 2001 season. Ouch. The offensive line that had shown so much improvement gave up another three sacks in the first half, and rookie James Carpenter was penalized twice for false starts. For all the promise Seattle showed in the second half against Atlanta and its victory at New York, Sunday’s game showed Seattle still has a long way to go.”
There’s also “three things we already knew,” including: “Red Bryant is the most important single comment of this defense. He is the strongest player on Seattle’s defense and the biggest reason the Seahawks have been so rugged against the run. The fact that he was able to block not one field-goal attempt, but two, is further testament to his size and significance. Seattle suffered injuries across its defensive line last season, but it was the loss of Bryant in the first half of Game 7 that took the biggest toll. A free agent at the end of the season, his importance to this defense is no longer a question.”
Mike Sando at ESPN.com offers “silver linings” from the Seahawks’ loss to the Browns on Sunday, including: “Seattle’s defense held the Browns to six points and 298 yards even though its offense held the ball for only 17 minutes.”
Dave Boling at the News Tribune also weighs in on the quarterback situation. Says Boling: “True enough. Injuries kept running back Marshawn Lynch, tight end Zach Miller and center Max Unger from playing. Add those guys to the offense and the Seahawks might have been able to crack double figures in scoring. But their absence did not alter the validity of critical assessments of Whitehurst’s efforts on plays when he did have time to throw, and when receivers did manage to shake free.”
John Boyle of the Everett Herald runs through the Seahawks’ lengthy injury list, including cornerback Walter Thurmond needing surgery on the ankle he broke in Sunday’s game. Says Boyle: “And while Thurmond’s injury is the most serious, it is hardly the only one that affected the Seahawks in Sunday’s loss. Seattle went to Cleveland knowing it would be without quarterback Tarvaris Jackson (pectoral), tight end Zach Miller (concussion) and center Max Unger (foot), then lost Marshawn Lynch just before the game when he had a flare up of back spasms during pregame warm ups.”
Also at the Herald, Scott Johnson continues his “The Game of My Life” series with a look at Eugene Robinson. Says Robinson: “The game I remember the best isn’t a game we won or a game of much significance for the team, but it was the game when I made my biggest hit when I really needed to. Before the season, Coach Chuck Knox wanted to go in a different direction, so he traded for a safety named Johnnie Johnson, who he knew from the Rams. He wanted him to play free safety. Incidentally, I had to do a lot of praying for Coach and a lot of praying for myself so I wouldn’t have a bitter attitude. But I was pretty hot. My wife kept reminding me to pray, to pray for Coach Knox. I was angry, and I took it personally, so there was a lot of prayer that year. In the end, I took my frustration out on Keith Jackson.”
Here at Seahawks.com, we look at the haunting elements of Sunday’s loss in our “Monday Metatarsal Musings,” offering: “The list of plays the Seahawks didn’t make, and allowed the Browns to make, could be turned into a miniseries. Those plays were the difference between being 3-3 and riding the emotional wave that would have come with winning three of their past four games, and being 2-4 and wondering how to right everything that went wrong on Sunday.”
There’s also Tony Ventrella’s video recap of the game, as well as coverage of Monday’s events in words and video.

b.gif
IcP3wn7VRtM

Source: Seahawks.com

Top Bottom