• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Darrell Bevell says there will "competition" between T-Jax and Whitehurst

travisduncan

Huddler
Reaction score
357101226031_Seahawks_at_Bucs.JPG

Tarvaris Jackson has not had a single practice with the Seattle Seahawks. NFL rules dictate that the newly signed signal caller can't practice with the team until Aug. 4. That will give him exactly 1-week to prepare for the first preseason game, Aug 11. vs San Diego.

Charlie Whitehurst is in camp and practicing as if he has a chance to show he deserves the job.

Is there a competition or not?

Thursday, before the 'Hawks signed Jackson, Whitehurst said "I want to be the starting quarterback here. I know there’s going to be competition, but I’m confident I can make it happen and lead this team to a heck of a season."

And the more you listen the more it sounds like Seahawks coaches want to make it appear that Whitehurst at least has an outside shot at the job, though head coach Pete Carroll named Jackson the starter over the weekend.

Monday offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said that there will be a "competition" between Jackson and Whitehurst, though the phrase competition is used loosely by the former Vikings offensive coordinator who spent five years with T-Jax.

"Charlie has responded very well, he’s taken it like a pro,” Bevell said. “The thing is, coach (Carroll) explained it to him well. One, you’re up front with him and then, two, Jackson has it because he knows the system.”

“As soon as Charlie gets up to speed with the system, then the competition is on,” Bevell added.

“I don’t think there’s ever not competition for those guys with our program. Coach is always preaching about competition.

Caroll said on this upon naming Jackson the starter, "Our program has always been about competition. [Jackson] comes in as our starter, he's going to own that position, until Charlie gets a chance to catch up, then the competition will begin."

Jackson for his part said he "feels wanted" in Seattle.

But did admit, perhaps out of respect for Whitehurst, "I really don't look at it like I got the job."

"If I get out here and don't perform I'm pretty sure Charlie is playing well they'll put him in."

Heavy Interest in TE Zach Miller

-All that money saved by releasing Lofa Tatupu (nearly $6 million in cap space) could be put to good use.

The Seahawks are interested in bringing in tight end Zach Miller from Oakland.

Ironically Tatupu could possibily sign with the Raiders, according to reports.

Miller was expected to re-sign with the Silver and Black, but was not present at Raiders camp on Monday according to ESPN. According to the report, the pro bowl tight end was in Seattle on Monday listening to the Seahawks' pitch.

The Raiders desperately want to keep Miller, but the Seahawks are putting out all the stops to acquire him, according to reports.

Last season Miller started and played in 15 games, catching 60 passes for 685 yards and five touchdowns. He was named as an injury replacement for the 2011 Pro Bowl game.

The third-year pro was a second-round pick of the Raiders in 2007 out of Arizona State.

Lofa's Exit

As for the depature of Tatupu, Carroll tried to spin it into the positive

He said "This was a decision that we agreed to, I support him. I support him in this. We helped him in this regard and he helped us. It's a mutual agreement that we made that we both feel good about."

Carroll did mean in the context of both Tatupu and the Seahawks when he says "we".

The Kicking Job

The Seahawks signed free agent kicker Brandon Coutu and re-signed defensive tackle Junior Siavii, the team announced Sunday. Coutu is in the running for the kicking job opened in Olindo Mare. Rookie free agent Wes Byrum out of Auburn is also competing for the job.

Top Bottom