• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Have we stopped the BOMB !

Idahawk

Reaction score
So do you guys think we have done enough to stop teams bombing away on us ? Is Russell going to start ? is Lucas the answer ? Was last years lack of being able to stop the run the reason for our secondary being owned ? Have we addressed why we sucked so bad in pass defense ? Was bringing up Grant and Russell up to stop the run , leaving Trufant on an island a mistake ? Clearly the weak link in our D has got to be a hot topic ....Have we fixed the leak ?

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Something worked right in 2007. I imagine if Kerney, Tatupu, and Trufant all stay reasonably healthy, we should be better. Each of those three spent significant time with injuries last year.

Reaction score
Not to mention we have a bunch of young big guys with potential in the middle... Corey Redding has been a very over looked acquisition.

Reaction score
I think the main problem was that we never blitzed like crazy or brought corners or anything like that. If you just let the QB stand in the pocket any secondary will fail like ours did. Our defense is made for speed so hopefully we will use that speed to crush the opposing teams QB or at least make him hurry and make some bad throws.

Reaction score
phaZe said:
I think the main problem was that we never blitzed like crazy or brought corners or anything like that. If you just let the QB stand in the pocket any secondary will fail like ours did. Our defense is made for speed so hopefully we will use that speed to crush the opposing teams QB or at least make him hurry and make some bad throws.

I think that was the 2nd biggest problem... The biggest problem is the one that everyone is saying, we had injuries to all of our defensive stars except for JP.

Reaction score
bobflipaburger said:
phaZe said:

I think that was the 2nd biggest problem... The biggest problem is the one that everyone is saying, we had injuries to all of our defensive stars except for JP.
Definitely. This is the year for our defense to shine especially with the addition of Aaron Curry, Ken Lucas and Cory Redding/Colin Cole.

Reaction score
I definitely think Lucas is an upgrade to Jennings. He is not the long term answer to that position, but a definite boost.

When we got beat deep it was almost always on Jennings side. I do not the think poor play of our safeties had to go so much with them as individuals, as it did with the defensive play calling. If the D coordinator calls for them to play tight against the run and there is a play action, then those guys are going to be out of position. The same 2 guys in 07 improved the hell out of our secondary. They were injured or slowed by anything so idk.

Like it was said above, we beefed up the interior of our D line with the addition of Redding and Cole. Also if Kerney is healthy, the D line will have a hell of a year.

I think Aaron Curry will definitely improve our line backing core. JP was a great player, and in his prime he was a monster LB. Curry in my opinion is a younger, and faster version of JP and hopefully has career that mirrors JP's.

We saw what our D could do when properly utilized. They played solid down the stretch towards the end of last season, and looked more like the defense from 07.

I know I am excited!

Reaction score
Our offense wasn't on the field long enough for the defense to rest. A lot of the big plays came were a sign of tiredness. Having the defense on the field too much hurt us. Hopefully that's not the story this year. We need to put pressure on the QBs also. When we were successful we were a top 5 team with sacks. Kerney stay healthy and we get him pressuring the QB it will help our secondary.

Reaction score
Hawk096 said:
Our offense wasn't on the field long enough for the defense to rest. A lot of the big plays came were a sign of tiredness. Having the defense on the field too much hurt us. Hopefully that's not the story this year.

That's the other point that's commonly made, but it's a good one. I think what it comes down to is A.)health and B.) fatigue. Most of our problems can be traced back to those reasons.

Idahawk said:
Eric Williams inteview with Brian Russell ( The Hero Speaks ) man those guys at field gulls really hate Russell
http://www.wikio.com/sports/basketball/ ... c_williams

Sounds like everyone is buying into the new system that's going into place... I don't think any safety in the league would have had a good year in this defense last year and all the criticism Russel gets is a little unfair.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Am I watching the same B. Russell here? Because usually when theres a big hit, its got a guy with a 25 on his back. I guess he's gotten burned a time or two, but what safety hasent. Grant and he were a hell of upgrade to our former safety tandem, though I was a HUDGE hamlin fan until.. the incident. Actually... Im still a fan.

GO HAMMER! :mrgreen:

Reaction score
Russell isn't bad at all szat. I think he took the hurt the most of having Jennings/Wilson's guy. When I spoke to him in Florida he told me how he felt he needed to make a big play everyplay. When you have that on your mind the little things that might stop a 25-yard play go away and you give up that play. He will rebound back nicely and I'm not writing him off just yet. I think this year with a healthy offense and a defense that goes after the QB our secondary should be a top 15.

Reaction score
phaZe said:

agree 100%

with Kerney, Lofa and Leroy fully fit, the secondary problem last year shouldnt be an issue, also think that Curry should be allowed to move in to put extra pressure on the QB and allow Trufant to sit and pick off the bad throws from the ensuing pressure, blitz the fuck out of the opposition

got a really good feeling about the D this year :)

Top Bottom