• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Lockout a 14 on scale 1 to 10

OP
Striker

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
That was a nice yet very one sided article. It reiterates the owners unwillingness to open their books to the players, and it shows the players unwillingness to take a large pay cut.

I honestly believe the players not only are not interested in a pay cut, but instead are interested in a pay increase. Mainly because they see the regular season being extended in the future, and more work should equal more pay. I normally would agree with that argument if the players salaries were not utterly inflated.

$100 million contracts don't seem outrageous? $40+ million has become commonplace. What is an NFL player really worth, and how do we take it from where it is now to that.

As for taking care of retired players and vets of old, that is where the focus should be. The people who broke their backs for far less than these multi-millionaire babies who believe they are being underpaid. Those players need medical assistance from the beatings they took in the eras where the game wasn't nearly as "soft" or "pansy" as the current players themselves have complained.

I believe a solid retirement fund / health benefit setup along with a generous pay in the hundreds of THOUSANDS to the low single digit millions (proven vets) should be more than enough for these players to do what they love while being paid for the work they put in.

Sadly it is unrealistic to believe this can happen overnight. You cannot pay someone 10 million this year, but next year pay them 100 thousand for a larger body of work and expect them to not feel swindled. Is 100 thousand closer to the actual worth of an NFL player than 10 million? I believe so, but that is through the eyes of a man who will never make a 100 thousand a year in his life, not from the eyes of a man who has been living the life of a multi-millionaire and now has to just live a wealthy life.

Reaction score
I just don't see why these players want more and more money. You play in the NFL for 10 to 15 years and then you get to retire and do an easier job or do nothing at all for the rest of your life. How many people get to say that? They retire at 35, everyone else retires around 65. Doesn't seem like they have a rough life at all.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
phaZe;46655 said:
I just don't see why these players want more and more money. You play in the NFL for 10 to 15 years and then you get to retire and do an easier job or do nothing at all for the rest of your life. How many people get to say that? They retire at 35, everyone else retires around 65. Doesn't seem like they have a rough life at all.
I agree with you but the percentage of retired football players that go bankrupt is ridiculous, you would be surprised. I believe what I read was 78% of retired football players go bankrupt after they retire. Do i think they need to make more money? Absolutely not. I think they need to enroll every pro football player in some sort of class on how to handle your money properly.

OP
Striker

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
I guess that brings to question, is the employer responsible for the employees reckless spending.

If so, then taking a large sum of money away from the employees at one time will force players out of their current lifestyle and place many of them with debts they cannot pay. Thus the NFL should cover those expenses and or not cut the players salaries.

If they are not responsible, then it doesn't matter the amount of debt left to the players for recklessly blowing millions and buying houses they cannot afford to pay off of their new salaries. Thus cut their salaries and let the players deal with the adjustment themselves.

The owners wont stand for one, the players wont stand for the other. This is just one of the reasons there will be a lockout next season, though I pray I am wrong.

It is sad that the game could very well suffer due to rich kids becoming less rich and being unable to pay their bills. What would the founding fathers of football think about all this?

Top Bottom