• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Seahawks contact NFL front office about hit on Russell Wilson

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
information
Seahawks contact NFL front office about hit on Russell Wilson
Tuesday, September 17, 2013 by:Nick Eaton
Ads by Google
.share-print{margin-right: 135px !important;}
Share this:
Quarterback Russell Wilson has been taking a lot of big hits already this year, more than we’re used to seeing after his skillful dodging and evading at the end of last season. The Seahawks are understandably concerned about keeping him healthy, and the lack of protection under NFL rules for quarterbacks on read-option plays is raising some questions.

On read-option plays like this one in Sunday’s 49ers game, Seahawks QB Russell Wilson is vulnerable after handing the ball to Marshawn Lynch until Wilson has backed out of the play. (Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images)
In particular, there was one big hit in Sunday’s 49ers stompdown that had head coach Pete Carroll concerned enough about his young star signal-caller that he has contacted the league office.
With 7:29 remaining in the second quarter, facing second-and-7 at the San Francisco 26-yard line and having just been flattened on a three-yard scramble, Wilson took the snap on a read-option play and stared down unguarded Niners linebacker Ahmad Brooks on the line. Brooks rushed full-speed at the QB so Wilson let Marshawn Lynch take the ball — and Wilson got lit up by Brooks.
Having just witnessed two big hits on his quarterback, Carroll was livid. He wanted a flag for Brooks’ hit — but for the nature of the hit (Brooks led with his helmet), not for the fact Wilson was hit in the first place.
Because on those read-option plays, the quarterback isn’t protected by NFL rules the same way he is after getting off a pass. On a running play such as those read-option looks, the quarterback is involved in misdirection and is therefore fair game for the defense until he has backed up and removed himself from the play completely.
“I think the rules are pretty clear,” Carroll said Monday at his post-49ers press conference. “If the officials deem that he is still a part of the running-game fake, they’re treated like a runner. That’s it. And I think in that situation, it was close — the one (Wilson) got pounded on, it was close. The official was right on it, he saw it; he felt like it was all part of the extension of the running game.
“I wasn’t questioning that at all. I was questioning (Brooks’) hit — the hit with the helmet and the placement of it. That’s all. And we talked to the league office about it (Monday) and they will have some information for us later in the week. We will know more about (the rule). But they are investigating about it. They want to get the language really clear. They’re really trying hard to get this right and they’re doing a good job with it.”
The NFL did not immediately reply to a seattlepi.com request for comment on Carroll’s inquiry. Updated 7:57 p.m.: An NFL spokesman said the league does not comment on confidential communications with teams.
In an age when the NFL is so concerned about player safety, and with the read-option gaining in popularity, the vulnerability of the quarterback has become a league-wide issue. And it’s not just Wilson and the Seahawks who are feeling the big hits — running QBs like S.F.’s Colin Kaepernick and Washington’s Robert Griffin III have also been eating a lot of turf already this season.

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
The no calls on leading with the helmet were also a concern. He got hammered pretty good a couple times.

Reaction score
The no calls on leading with the helmet were also a concern. He got hammered pretty good a couple times.
Really the only hit I was concerned with was the blatant fore arm to the head ad neck of Wilson on the slide. That was 100% intentional and dirty and I would not expect anything less from a 49er

Top Bottom