• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Tate signs with Lions

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
I don't really understand why this happened the way it did. Did the Seahawks tell him straight up they wouldn't match Detroit's offer? As quickly as he bailed it's almost like he couldn't wait to get out of here.

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
No win situation, I hate to see this. It reminds me of Engram and Burleson. Seems like we invest so much in these guys just to send them off to other teams. Tate has to feel under appreciated having carried the WR core and there is nothing like a big payday to stroke the ego. It sucks but PC knows what Tate is worth and it's well below what the Lions offered.

Tate was a good fit with RW, I don't think he will be as good in a less dynamic system.

Without Tate and Rice, a lot more is riding on Harvin staying healthy.

Idahawk

Reaction score
I think they gave him a number they were willing to pay and he found a better deal plain and simple. Based on Tate's overall numbers he's not a 6 million dollar man IMO and apparently not in the Seahawks either . A hometown discount is one thing but 1-2 million dollars more is hard to walk away from for a guy like Tate even with another ring at stake .

One of the most sure handed WR's we've ever had and opposite Megatron he could see a lot of balls in that pass first offense as opposed to the Seahawks run first game . Makes sense for both parties really .

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few .

Free Brandon Browner

Idahawk

Reaction score
Tate on KJR " nothing bad happened , at the end of the day the money just didn't make sense "

It's a nice way of the Seahawks saying take it or leave it , I'm sure if Harvins big fat deal wasn't hanging over their heads the Hawks would have brought him back .

Free Brandon Browner

Last edited:

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Tate on KJR " nothing bad happened , at the end of the day the money just didn't make sense "

It's a nice way of the Seahawks saying take it or leave it , I'm sure if Harvins big fat deal wasn't hanging over their heads the Hawks would have brought him back .

Free Brandon Browner

I think your right, especially this year, Percy hits the cap for 9M I think.

I grew fond of tate as a player, he was so physical, and his antics were entertaining. One thing that I noticed about him is when he got the ball near the endzone, he would do some crazy moves to score. Few times he went air borne right at the goal line up or through a defender. I'll have to look for some of clips.

But in the end he is not a top end WR and IMO wasnt worth more the 5M a year.
We will be good with Baldwin, Percy, Kearse, Lockette, and hopefully find a true #1 in draft.
Right now I like :

67 *Donte Moncrief WR 11 Ole Miss Jr 6/2 221 2/3

Idahawk

Reaction score
He was a firecracker and now a very rich firecracker , that's for sure

I just don't think you can count on Harvin for 16 plus games, sorry . And were down two WR's now, 3 if your like me and don't expect a full season from Percy .
Bringing Rice back after he tests the market if available would be one option and like Szat said the Draft is coming .

Free Brandon Browner

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Contrary to some on here I think this is a pretty significant loss. I saw Tate as one of the core guys along with Wilson, Sherman, Wagner, KJ, Kam, ET, Okung and maybe Unger and Byron Maxwell. Those are the 'retain at all costs' guys.
Maybe Tate can be replaced in the draft, I don't know. But he's got a pretty versatile skillset, he's one of the top two or three WRs in the league in YAC, He led the league in catching passses that were actually catchable. And he's a top tier punt returner. A big part of why the Hawks won this year was because they pretty much controlled field position consistently throughout the year and Tate's returns were a big part of that. He's 25, just hitting his prime, he's gotten better every year and hasn't hit his peak yet.
Going from being the primary target in a run first offense has probably hamstrung his numbers a bit. Being the #2 in Detroit with Megatron being the focal point in a pass first offense, he can easily become a 1000/10 guy.

Thinking that Tate's not even worth Brian Hartline money is just crazy. The Hawks should have re-signed him. The Hawks can't afford to misfire on a WR in the draft now.

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
They can't all get what they are worth. We had playmakers everywhere.

I'm hoping they can pull off what they've done for the last 3 years; build a deep bench.

Sent from a cell at the CLink...

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
They can't all get what they are worth. We had playmakers everywhere.

Most of the playmakers are on the defensive side.
If this was indeed a result of the Harvin signing, then the Harvin signing becomes a bad move on the part of the Hawks. Their skillsets are somewhat similar in their versatility. Harvin's a little faster and more dynamic but Tate is tougher and far more durable.
Just gotta hope Harvin holds up. If he does and the Hawks hit the mark in the draft on a WR then they can sustain and offset this loss. But if Harvin goes down again the Hawks will be in trouble.

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
Just gotta hope Harvin holds up. If he does and the Hawks hit the mark in the draft on a WR then they can sustain and offset this loss. But if Harvin goes down again the Hawks will be in trouble.

The mindset of " next man up" seems to have served them well. The won a SB with Rice and Harvin out most of the season.

I see us fans always wondering why they do this move verses that move. Just like in drafting a qb when we just signed one. But that seems to be the formula they have for wining.

We have a SB. I'll give them a few years slack at this point. They've earned it. ;)

Sent from a cell at the CLink...

Idahawk

Reaction score
I always suspect guys that have their best seasons in contract years and I doubt when we signed Harvin he was very pleased seeing that money go to a newb , when he was due the next year . Don't get me wrong I liked Tater and wanted to keep him , just looking at this thing from all sides . Maybe he felt slighted and then got a lowball deal and walked .

The other thought I had was that if teams copy cat us and suddenly there's six foot three inch DB's everywhere maybe another taller WR like Lockette isn't such a bad thing and even he has been released once so I'm not sure their sold on him to be honest with you .

Free Brandon Browner

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
The mindset of " next man up" seems to have served them well. The won a SB with Rice and Harvin out most of the season.
Ironically that's exactly what troubles me about losing Tate. The Hawks have a kind of WR by committee thing going on where no one really stands out. But it was because of guys like Tate and Baldwin that the "next man up" thing worked.

The Hawks shouldn't have much trouble replacing Tate's numbers. Replacing his "hands dirty" mentality and how he fit within the system might be something else.

But you're right about another thing too. Pete and John always find a way to make it all work out. In Pete and John we trust.

Idahawk

Reaction score
Let's not forget this Beast

Seahawks sign CFL receiver
Posted Feb 18, 2014

Clare Farnsworth
Seahawks.com Writer
@Seahawks on Twitter Seahawks on Facebook
The Seahawks have tapped their Canadian pipeline again, as the Super Bowl champions signed CFL wide receiver Chris Matthews on Tuesday.

The Seahawks have dipped into the Canadian football pool again.

Wide receiver Chris Matthews, the latest player who is either from Canada or played in the CFL, has signed with the team, it was announced Tuesday. Matthews played the past two seasons for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, catching 95 passes for 1,330 yards and eight touchdowns.

Other Canadian-born and former CFL players who have found success with the Seahawks are punter Jon Ryan, who is from Regina, Sask., and kicked for the Green Bay Packers before rewriting the punting section of the Seahawks’ record book the past six seasons; tight end Luke Willson, who was a fifth-round draft choice last year and is from LaSalle, Ont.; and suspended cornerback Brandon Browner, who played four seasons with the Calgary Stampeders of the CFL before signing a futures contract and becoming a starter in 2011.

The 6-foot-5, 218-pound Matthews played at the University of Kentucky and was with the Cleveland Browns during their training camp in 2011. He then signed the Blue Bombers and was named the CFL’s Most Outstanding Rookie in 2012, when he caught 81 passes for 1,192 yards and seven TDs. Last season, he missed 13 games with an assortment of injuries and caught 14 passes for 138 yards and a TD.

Free Brandon Browner

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
"But I didn’t feel like I was going to be taken care of. If you just look back at the things that have happened the last few years. They signed Chris Clemons two or three years ago and released him this week. They signed Red Bryant two or three years ago and released him this week. They released some guys who still had a year or two in their contract to make space for me or whoever. I just felt like, I didn’t want that to happen to me.”

Jeez, doesn't Tate understand the realities of a hard cap and the tough decisions a team has to try and keep it all together? There's a hint there that the breakdown might have been in the amount of years the Hawks were willing to commit to him just wasn't enough. Who knows?

Top Bottom