• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Why Aren't Baseball Fields Standardized?

Idahawk

Reaction score
The main reason for this is that there is no designation for the authorized size of an outfield. In the official rules for Major League Baseball, it is stated that the outfield fence should be at least 250 feet from home plate. A distance of 325 feet or more along the foul lines and 400 feet or more to center field has since become mandatory for any new stadiums. As such, professional fields are all a little different. Even more significant is the fact that those rules only apply to MLB; a field designed for youth baseball or even college baseball is likely to have somewhat (or substantially) shorter fences.

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
Standard field size and design of the overall park do not have to be linked. And regardless, I would not expect a standard field size to make the game more or less exciting - it will still be boring to me. My thought is more around how it basically invalidates any stat associated with baseball. The whole point of a statistic is to judge something on an equal ground. Having different sized fields makes that ground unequal.

Interesting thread. I wish to add that stats are just as meaningless in the NFL these days too. Significant rules changes have occurred over the decades that directly effect stats. Playoffs, wild card teams, so many rules now to protect QB and ball carrier, helium in ball, stickum on hands, goal posts moved back in the end zone, kickoff from the 35 yard line, 2 minute warning, instant replay too. (Here's one for Seahawks fans. Back when the Rams were The Greatest Show On Turf the officials went on the PA system threatening to penalize the Rams because Rams fans were making TOO MUCH NOISE. The NFL at that time had a rule against too loud crowd noise.) So many more on rules alone. Then theres the 16 game season instead of the 14 game season. Even the fields have changed with the artificial turfs over the decades, domed fields to regulate on field conditions etc.

I've heard your argument against MLB before but the true debate is factors that effect the game . Rules changes have a far greater effect on stats than field dimensions since a players style of play can literally be outlawed. We've seen this far more so in the NFL than in MLB. Leg whips, clotheslining, face masking, defenseless player rules, QB in the grasp etc. As you see the defensive side (and thus the offensive side as a result) play has changed greatly over the years. NFL players of the 1960s-80s today watch a game that is a shadow of its former self. Whether that is for player safety or protection of investment-profit or both is another debate.

I see MLB as doing it right with playing fields. Mandate minimums rather than dictating the end result league wide.

Last edited:
Top Bottom