• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

And now it's Rice!

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
While Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Percy Harvin was in New York to get a second opinion on his hip, fellow wideout Sidney Rice is undergoing non-surgical treatment on his knee in Switzerland, head coach Pete Carroll said on Tuesday (via Liz Mathews of 710 ESPN Seattle).
"Sidney is off campus getting some special treatments right now," said Carroll. "We are taking care of the knee thing that we have been monitoring for a long time. Where do you think he is? Seattle? No. Georgia? No. Further. He is actually in Switzerland. And for those who don’t believe that, he’s in Sweden. He’s a long ways away; getting some work done. So we are really excited about what he is doing. Something that he has been working towards and working with for a long time. The timing of this came up. He has to take his break and get his procedure. So he will be gone for a couple of days.
"That’s how we do it here. It’s kind of global."
Carroll added that Rice is not expected to miss any games, including those in the preseason. However, Rice leaving camp to go to Europe to seek treatment on a knee suggests that Rice may have a difficult time practicing or playing a full 16-game schedule this season. At the very least, it would be a surprise to see Rice play in the preseason, even if he is back stateside next month.
The Seahawks signed Rice to a five-year, $41 million contract after the 2011 lockout. Injuries, including multiple concussions in 2011, has limited Rice to 25 games over his two seasons in Seattle, during which the 2009 Pro Bowler has 82 receptions for 1,232 yards and nine touchdowns. Rice had an impressive 2012, staying healthy for all 16 games and catching 50 passes, seven for touchdowns, and was 14th among wide receivers in Football Outsiders' receiving DYAR (Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement) metric.
Rice is scheduled to earn $8.5 million in base salary this season, $3.5 million of which is guaranteed for injury.

Between Rice's injuries, the Seahawks trading for Harvin and signing him to a long-term extension and the club being high on 2010 second-round pick and 2014 unrestricted free agent Golden Tate, who was 18th in receiving DYAR and emerged as a threat after the catch as well as on the perimeter, 2013 is shaping up to be Rice's final season with the Seahawks. After this season, Rice, who doesn't turn 27 until Sept. 1, will have two years and $17.5 million remaining on his contract, but the Seahawks could save that cash and $7.3 million in cap space by releasing Rice next offseason.
Pagination

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
You know this does not really bother me. Training camp is hard on the body, and the vets can miss a few and not miss a beat. Given Sidney has proven himself last year, yet has some injury history I am okay with him sitting a few out and getting the special swedish treatment, if you konw what mean.

I hope I can say the same about Pussy Harvin in a couple of years, cause thats how I felt about Sidney when we signed him and he sat out all year.

Top Bottom