• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Camp Carroll: Day 5 (p.m. edition)

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
A recap of the afternoon walk-thru at Seahawks’ training camp on Monday:
FOCUS ON
20110731_seahawks_0128.jpg
Charlie Whitehurst. Saturday, he got the word from coach Pete Carroll that just-acquired Tarvaris Jackson would be the starting quarterback because of his familiarity with the offense being installed by new coordinator Darrell Bevell.
Today, the team’s incumbent backup stepped up to the challenge by turning in his best day of camp.
Whitehurst was sharp in the morning practice, when the players worked outside for almost 2½ hours in helmets and shoulder pads. It carried over to the 70-minute walk-thru that was held in the indoor practice facility at Virginia Mason Athletic Center.
“Charlie has responded very well, he’s taken it like a pro,” Bevell said. “The thing is, coach (Carroll) explained it to him well. One, you’re up front with him and then, two, (Jackson) has it because he knows the system.”
That’s because Jackson played for Bevell the past five seasons, when they were with the Minnesota Vikings. That history in the system will help the offense and the team in this condensed “offseason” after the 136-day lockout.
“As soon as Charlie gets up to speed with the system, then the competition is on,” Bevell said. “I don’t think there’s ever not competition for those guys with our program. Coach is always preaching about competition.
“So Charlie is going to be able to give that to T-Jack, and it will make both of them better.”
PLAYER WATCH
Alan Branch. The veteran defensive lineman just signed with the team in free agency, but he’s no stranger to new D-line coach Todd Wash.
“I evaluated Alan when he came out of the college,” said of Branch, who was a second-round draft choice by the Arizona Cardinals in 2007, when Wash was coaching with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. “So when there was an opportunity to get Alan, we were very, very excited. We know what he can do, and the coaches will put him in position to be successful.”
Carroll already has said that Branch will start at the three-technique tackle spot, with Brandon Mebane moving over to nose tackle. But Branch also can backup and spell Red Bryant at the five-technique end position.
That’s because Branch weighs 325 pounds, even though he doesn’t look it.
“Alan is a big athlete, and we’ve got to do something scheme-wise to make sure he’s successful and we’re successful,” Wash said.
BACK AT IT
With the players working without pads this afternoon, wide receiver Mike Williams and defensive lineman Kentwan Balmer were able to participate after sitting out the morning practice as well as Sunday’s sessions with minor injuries.
Williams (muscle strain) was at split end with the No. 1 offense, while Balmer (sprained ankle) was at one of the tackle spots with the No. 1 defense.
PLAY OF THE DAY
Wide receiver Golden Tate making a diving grab of a pass that was tipped by cornerback Marcus Trufant.
UP NEXT
The players have a walk-thru Tuesday morning, followed by a practice at 1:30 that is open to the public. You can register to attend here.
YOU DON’T SAY
“As a guy who’s been around and played quite a few snaps, when you get to that point you have to be a leader. I think guys lead in different ways. I’m not a big hoot-and-holler kind of guy, but I’m going to come out and work and work hard and hopefully some of the young guys will follow that. That’s how I chose to lead and I think that’s just the way I am.” – just-signed veteran guard Robert Gallery on filling the leadership void now that two of last season’s captains are gone – QB Matt Hasselbeck to the Titans in free agency and middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu after being released Sunday.

b.gif
2gGNhCQBy0k

Source: Seahawks.com

Top Bottom