• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Does Carrol know what he is doing?

HAWK

Huddler
Reaction score
In his first move, he went out and signed Charlie Whitehurst, but then only gave him 4 games to develop and then said: see you later.

In his second move, he reached for Carpenter and Moffit to rebuild the line. Despite preaching competition, they were annointed starters. Both of them had bad first years and McQuistan and Giacomini clearly showed they were more talented. This year, McQuistan and Giacomini are projected to be the starters.

He went out and got Tarvaris Jackson. Jackson continued to be his same old self last year. A below average starting NFL QB. And now even after he went out and signed the 2nd hottest free agent QB on the market, Flynn is only getting 33% of ther reps and competing with Jackson and rookie Wilson? And this is supposed to get the offense, which was ranked 24th in the NFL in sync and ready week 1 where every game counts? Does Carroll want the offense to be figuring things out during the season like 2010?

Is it me, or are Carroll's moves questionable so far? I mean, I'm happy about the defense. I'm happy that he seems to have fixed up the line after his blunder with Carpenter. I'm happy about Marshawn Lynch. But what about the rest?

Reaction score
Carroll even admitted that they didn't know how good of a player they had in Hasselbeck. We all might question the move of signing Whitehurst, but I doubt anyone has a problem with letting him go.

Moffitt and Carpenter are still young, give them time to develop... It wasn't Caroll's decision to start them, Tom Cable makes those calls... Although I think we would be much better off moving Carpenter to LG and starting Mcquistian at RT.

Flynn isn't learning a completely new offense here, its pretty much the same as Green Bay's. All he has to do is get familiar with the personnel and since we're so deep at receiver he can even do that when he's getting 2nd and 3rd team reps. If Wilson has all of the upside he's been built up to have, then not letting him in on the competition would be a mistake. Also don't forget that Flynn is only guaranteed $10 mill of his contract, that alone should tell you he was never promised a starting spot.

Some of the moves can be viewed as questionable... But consider the state of the franchise when he took over. This was a team that had won 8 games in the previous two seasons combined, and probably should have been worse. On top of that, they were trending downward and had no real building blocks for the future and looked to have completely given up under Mora. Now when you look at this team, there's virtually endless amounts of potential. This roster has a lot of players with unique skill sets.. I mean look at our some of our linebackers... Korey Toomer, Malcolm Smith, Bobby Wagner, and Allen Bradford. Those are all guys capable of running the 40 in 4.4-4.5

So yes, I do believe in what PC is doing... In case you couldn't tell lol.

OP
H

HAWK

Huddler
Reaction score
Carroll even admitted that they didn't know how good of a player they had in Hasselbeck. We all might question the move of signing Whitehurst, but I doubt anyone has a problem with letting him go.

Moffitt and Carpenter are still young, give them time to develop... It wasn't Caroll's decision to start them, Tom Cable makes those calls... Although I think we would be much better off moving Carpenter to LG and starting Mcquistian at RT.

Flynn isn't learning a completely new offense here, its pretty much the same as Green Bay's. All he has to do is get familiar with the personnel and since we're so deep at receiver he can even do that when he's getting 2nd and 3rd team reps. If Wilson has all of the upside he's been built up to have, then not letting him in on the competition would be a mistake. Also don't forget that Flynn is only guaranteed $10 mill of his contract, that alone should tell you he was never promised a starting spot.

Some of the moves can be viewed as questionable... But consider the state of the franchise when he took over. This was a team that had won 8 games in the previous two seasons combined, and probably should have been worse. On top of that, they were trending downward and had no real building blocks for the future and looked to have completely given up under Mora. Now when you look at this team, there's virtually endless amounts of potential. This roster has a lot of players with unique skill sets.. I mean look at our some of our linebackers... Korey Toomer, Malcolm Smith, Bobby Wagner, and Allen Bradford. Those are all guys capable of running the 40 in 4.4-4.5

So yes, I do believe in what PC is doing... In case you couldn't tell lol.

I appreciate your positive outlook on things. Obviously, I hope you are right. The Seahawks could be as good as the 49ers or the Baltimore Ravens with the run first, strong defensive team they are building.

Just some questions for you since we're doing this round table discussion. 1) I'm willing to give Moffit time to develop. He's a 2nd round? pick. However, don't you think 1st round picks need to come in and deliver right away? For example, Carimi, who we passed up has already established himself for the Chicago Bears. We gave up like 40 sacks the first 7 weeks of the season! And we reached for the guy! It already seems like Carroll has moved on from Carp. Last thing: how do you know that Cable decides who is going to start? Do you think Carroll has any influence on that?

2) On Brock and Salk, Matt Flynn said that the most difficult thing for him is unlearning things he learned at Green Bay and learning new terminology and schemes here. While it is a west coast offense, there are some differences. Further, this is a run first offense. Green Bay was a passing offense. Flynn is a volume passer and will need to get used to running the ball 50% of the time. Also, do you think Flynn needs to get used to Rice, Baldwin, Winslow, and Miller? Or, Jermaine Kearse and Tuniei? And finally, you said Flynn is not getting paid starter money. Yes he is. Romo is making 9 million this year, Aaron Rogers 8 million, Cutler 7.7 million, Schaub 7.1. No matter what Carroll says, money matters in this business.

In conclusion, there's a part of me that does believe in what Carroll is doing as well. I love how he's built our defense, I love that he's quick to correct his mistakes (like with the offensive line), and I love that he's sticking with his philosophy of a run first defensive team. I've been so pumped that we signed Flynn after two lame QB acquisitions. And now we're giving him 33% of the reps! I'm just not sure splitting the reps 3 ways at the beginning of camp is a helpful decision for anyone on the offense.

You know what TJack brings to the table. Wilson has time. Flynn has shined on two NFL stages. It's time to give Flynn the ball!

Reaction score
Moffitt is a third round pick, we trded out of the 2nd round and picked him. Cable is in charge of the O-line, I've heard Carroll say that multiple times. Cable hand picked Carpenter and Moffitt, so he saw something in them. Ideally yes, Carpenter would come in and make an immediate impact. But he didn't, I don't think we should continue to run him out there and get less than satisfactory results... We need to use him in the most effective way possible, I believe that's moving him to LG. But I doubt that will happen.

Flynn said the terminology was pretty much all the same, it is a different style offense though. Even on the 2nd and 3rd teams he'll have guys like Lockette, Tate, Durham, and Butler to work with. And maybe I should have been more clear, the $10 mill guaranteed is over the length of his full contract, not just for one season.

OP
H

HAWK

Huddler
Reaction score
Moffitt is a third round pick, we trded out of the 2nd round and picked him. Cable is in charge of the O-line, I've heard Carroll say that multiple times. Cable hand picked Carpenter and Moffitt, so he saw something in them. Ideally yes, Carpenter would come in and make an immediate impact. But he didn't, I don't think we should continue to run him out there and get less than satisfactory results... We need to use him in the most effective way possible, I believe that's moving him to LG. But I doubt that will happen.

Flynn said the terminology was pretty much all the same, it is a different style offense though. Even on the 2nd and 3rd teams he'll have guys like Lockette, Tate, Durham, and Butler to work with. And maybe I should have been more clear, the $10 mill guaranteed is over the length of his full contract, not just for one season.

Thanks for dialoguing with me about this. I hope that Carpenter and Moffitt turn out to be good. They still got a shot. But, it looks like there are other veteran guys that are going to take their spots. I just want guys out there that can protect the quarterback and create lanes for Marshawn, assuming he doesn't get suspended for his DUI.

If anyone can overcome getting only 33% of the reps, it is Flynn. Let's hope that you're right and he comes in and does well. The Hawks will have to do something if Marshawn does get suspended. The safeties will be able to focus in on Sidney and Winslow if we don't have a running threat and it will effect Flynn and the passing game.

I was aware that $10 million was guaranteed, but Flynn's base salary is $6.5 million/year. While not elite starter money, it is starter money. Also, $10 million guaranteed is starter money as well. If the point of the competition is to give Wilson a shot, fine. But if it is to give Tarvaris a shot, then it's a complete waste of time. If Carroll starts Tarvaris week 1, Schneider, Paul Allen, and the fans (for a 2nd consecutive year) are going to be frustrated.

Reaction score
I honestly don't think we've seen the best of T-jack. He was hurt last year, at times he looked pretty good, at other times he looked clearly bothered by his injury, and yeah there were moments where he just looked flat out bad. Regardles,s he did show leadership and a ton of toughness, those are things I haven't seen from Flynn yet. Flynn should win this competition, but Jackson played through a lot last year though and he did a lot for this team at very least by making sure Clipboard Jesus didn't come in and become interception jesus.

OP
H

HAWK

Huddler
Reaction score
You have seen the best of Tarvaris Jackson. Before he came to us he had thrown 24 TDs and 22 Ints with an average QB rating of 77.2 (below average). Last season he put up a similar touchdown to interception ratio: 14 TDs 13 INTs with a QB rating of 79.2. You have seen the best of him. He's already had his chance to be a starter in this league. Brock Huard went to OTAs and has confirmed: he's still the same. You want to give him credit for taking a bunch of sacks and playing injured and how likeable he is? Fine. I'll give him that. However, you went out and signed the 2nd hottest free agent QB on the market, who broke the Packer's franchise passing record in one game, and paid him $10 million guaranteed, not to waste Paul Allen's money, not to waste Schneider's time, not to waste Tarvaris' time, Flynn's time, or the 12th man's time. Declare Flynn to be the starter. Don't wait and cause the offense to not be the best it could be.

Yes, perhaps clipboard Jesus wasn't the leader who could tilt the field that later Carroll realized he needed. However, this shows that your first attempt at a QB was a swing and a miss. Your second attempt was, well, let's say: a foul ball. Let's hope that Carroll's 3rd swing at the most important position in sports is a homerun.

Reaction score
Did Flynn sign a 3 or a 4 year deal? I can never remember... Regardless 10 mill over 4 years is 2.5 mill per season, over 3 its 3.3 perseason. That's about what we paid Whitehurst, expensive for a back up. But if that's what Flynn ends up being it won't kill us either. Huard was commenting on him about one day, in mini-camp without Rice and without Tate. I wouldn't read too much into that. Using Jackson's numbers from last year doesn't really counter my point that his performance was hurt by his injury. In fact, it may support my point. If he was able to play around or above his career average with a torn pec, that's pretty impressive. Also, I don't read too much into Flynn breaking that record when he had the best group of recievers in the league and a bad Lions secondary to shread up... Not saying it wasn't impressive and I'm not taking anything away from how he played... I'm just a skeptic, I really hope he's not just a product of that system in GB. But like a I said, he should win this competition. And if he wants to avoid having another one next year, he better be the guys all of his supporters think he is.

OP
H

HAWK

Huddler
Reaction score
Bobflipaburger,

Flynn's contract is for 3 years $19.5 million. However, there are incentives in the contract that could make it worth up to $26 million. $10 million is guaranteed even if they decide to cut him this year.

Like you, I'm happy that they didn't give him Kevin Kolb money given his limited experience. However, this is starter money, and this is the most they've invested in this position so far. If he isn't the starter, $10 million guaranteed is a waste for a back up in this league. Carroll can say that the money doens't matter all he wants. But, this isn't college. The money matters.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Wait a minute. You mean the Gabe Carimi that messed up his knee in his second game as a pro and was out the rest of his rookie season? THAT is "established" and what you are measuring our players against?

Reaction score
Well... Carp and Moffitt both messed up their knees too... I think... I know Carpenter tore his ACL, I forget what Moffitt did.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I think Moffit was an MCL. I'm just saying, the measuring stick of "established" is a guy that people said the Seahawks "should have taken" but has not even played two full games of pro football because he busted up his knee in the second and was out for the year? That seems like a pretty silly measuring stick, one not much more valid than taking what Kiper and McShay say seriously...

TwilightError

Huddler
Reaction score
Flynn is only getting 33% of ther reps and competing with Jackson and rookie Wilson? And this is supposed to get the offense, which was ranked 24th in the NFL in sync and ready week 1 where every game counts? Does Carroll want the offense to be figuring things out during the season like 2010?

I completely agree. If Carroll wants to win this season, he has to make Flynn the clear starter within two days from now. Having the three way competition in the OTAs and minicamps is fine, but now in the actual training camp the team should be preparing for the season and a completely new quarterback needs every possible chance to get adjusted with the team. (its different f.ex. for Arizona since both possible starting QBs have been with the team for a whole season already)

Every day that the competition continues is an advantage to Tarvaris and a disadvantage for Flynn. Even if Matt still ends up being the starter, he has to learn more during the season if the whole camp goes 33% or even 50%. The sooner the better, these are critical days. Next week is too late to get the best possible situation. And that is what we need in a division with very strong 49ers. They have gotten a lot stronger in the offense this offseason. We have done the same, in theory... Its up to Carroll to put that in practice. NOW.

Top Bottom