• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

ESPN has Hawks #1 in power rankings

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
Seahawks top ESPN's Power Rankings

By Brent Stecker
What happens when a playoff team makes splashy offseason moves like acquiring playmaker Percy Harvin and top-of-the-line pass rusher Chuck Avril? If you're the Seattle Seahawks, it lands you at the top of ESPN's pre-draft Power Rankings.
The Seahawks edged NFC West rival San Francisco for the top spot in the rankings, which were released Tuesday morning, thanks to their huge first week of NFL free agency.
The ranking proves that the Seahawks' moves have made waves not just in Seattle, but throughout the nation.
"High-risk, high-reward move for Percy Harvin got voters' attention," wrote ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando.
ESPN NFL Live's Trey Wingo joined Brock Huard and Danny O'Neil on ESPN 710 Tuesday, and he further explained why the Seahawks leapfrogged teams like the Danver Broncos (ranked No. 3), Atlanta Falcons (No. 4), and the defending champion Baltimore Ravens (No. 8) on the list.
"I think that most people would think that Seattle right now might be the favorite to not only go to the Super Bowl, (but) win it," Wingo said. "In fact, after the Harvin trade, the Vegas odds that we check had the Niners and Seahawks as co-favorites to win the Super Bowl this year, so it's a national perspective."
It also signals a gigantic shift in the NFC West, a division that was so poor just two years ago that the Seahawks won it with a 7-9 record.
"It is a really good time for the NFC West right now," Wingo said. "The Rams are an interesting team with the moves they've made ... and Seattle and San Francisco are going to be two of the high marquee teams this season."

Reaction score
Its nice to get recognition and respect and everything... But power rankings are meaningless, especially in March.

seahawkblitz

Huddler
Reaction score
Not totally meaningless. If nothing else, between this and our performance last season, at the very least the mighty Hawks will land an extra prime time game or two when the schedule comes out. And it's also kind of nice to have some positve talk about our team in the off season for a change. Only thing that concerns me, is that the really good seasons we have had, no one saw coming. Hope we can perform as expected with the spotlight on us. Nevertheless. I paid off my truck today, and the first order of business is an adequate Super Bowl Savings account just in case! GO HAWKS!!

Mark Ramich

Huddler
Reaction score
yes i am very proud and feeling good its nice to hear the sports casters speak well on seahawks behalf and its about fuckin time!

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Dudes... Just watchin Cliff Avril on Total Access. This guy just wants to win!
DOODS!
Percy Harvin, Cliff Avril, Micheal Bennett, I am crazy excited already and we havent even hit the draft!

WE ARE LIVING IN GOOD TIMES GUYS! 2013 SEASON WILL BE ONE TO FOR THE HISTORY BOOKS!

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
I hear ya blitz, can't help felling a little sullied. Not sure I want these guys on our band wagon.

The Seahawks have come a long way in a short time. Russell Wilson's composure was nothing less than amazing.

Based on how we looked at season end and the acquisitions we've made I really think this could be a superbowl season. I really didn't think I'd be saying that for at least another year or 2.

Harvin may be the spark the WR core has needed. I'm not sure how PC is dealing with it but problem players don't seem to be an issue.

Does Beast Mode still have enough in the tank to produce another productive year? Does it matter? I really think Turbin has the ability to more than fill his shoes.

Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett were great moves in backing up the injury to Clemons.

A couple promising players in the draft it might be the icing on the Cake.

GO HAWKS!

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Beast mode should still have a good 2 or 3 prime years left in the tank being not quite 27. His running style takes its toll but he's built to handle it. He was voted by his peers a little while back as being pound for pound the strongest player in the NFL. If his back becomes an issue again this year though, that could be a problem.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Yeah the marshawn back issue worries me, but he is young and hopefully he heals up the offseason.
Being we only have 2 on the roster, I wouldnt be suprised to see us draft someone in the mid rounds like 4-5, there is some depth this year, and I have always been a proponent for getting young backs, cuase they dont last like other positions in the league. They truely are the toughest SOB on a team.

OP
S

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
Does Beast Mode still have enough in the tank to produce another productive year? Does it matter? I really think Turbin has the ability to more than fill his shoes.

I really like Turbn, he was one of the players I wanted to see the Hawks draft last year. I liked what I saw of him last year but didn't see enough of him to compare him to Lynch. They look like they came from the same mold . Turbin with probably more upper body strength He is an absolute specimen when it comes to upper body, looks like he has done allot of weight lifting. I'm looking forward to seeing him play this year. If Lynch gets injured I think Turbin can fill in for him just fine, maybe not as many yards but could do a nice job. But I could see the Hawks drafting another speed type back

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
I'm expecting the Beast to have a hard time adjusting to the new "no leading with your head" rule since he tends to run everyone over.

Turbin seems to be more of a visual power runner and has a nice blend of strength and finess. Those qualities remind me of a younger SA before he started avoiding contact. I think Turbin is much better built to not only take a hit but power thru them too.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Much better built than Lynch? I didn't see it. Lynch is a much stronger runner than Turbin is, or at least what Turbin has shown so far. Maybe it's technique or something but Lynch runs like a bowling ball and Turbin seems more finesse-oritented than Lynch (but then again so does just about any other RB).
Height/weight is about even with Turbin being about an inch shorter and about 5 pounds heavier. But still, when comparing his ability to bounce off people and break tackles, it's no contest. Turbin reminds me of a slightly more power-oriented version of Ricky Watters if he hits his upside.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
One other thing too about Turbin and his scouting report coming out of college is that some were concerned he might be a bit top-heavy in that his lower body strength is not in proportion to his upper body. That might be where Lynch has a substantial edge on Turbin power-wise is in the legs.

Don't get me wrong I'm not panning Turbin at all and I consider that an excellent find by the Hawks. But comparing him to Lynch who's one of the top 2 running backs on the planet at this point? Premature imho. Just saying he's not a slam dunk as a RB prospect and he's got a long way to go before he can be considered in the same class as Lynch.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
The new helmet rule sucks but at least it doesn't apply as long as the runner is inside the box, which happens to be where Lynch is most effective. So the impact on Lynch's production might not be as bad as some people think. Just out of curiosity I pulled up a clip of his TD run against the Saints to see if there was anywhere in there where he would have been flagged had the new rule been in place back then. I didn't see anywhere he would have been in violation of the rule and as a matter of fact he didn't even leave the legal box area until he was about 25 yards into the run. I know that's just one play but the play pretty much displays Lynch's tried and true running style throughout.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
I've seen the combine pics. But as big as he is he hasn't shown the same type of power, at least not yet. My opinion is more about what kind of RB Lynch is, not a knock on Turbin. I know he's built like a tank.
But Lynch is just a friggin masher. Turbin should be, could be but just hasn't shown it yet. He also seems to have a different play style and a different mentality. Two things he has on Lynch is he's a mite faster and he's probably better as a receiver. Those skills lend themselves to kind of a different type of RB. I think Turbin's big enough to break tackles and move the pile forward but I'm not so sure his entire game will ever revolve around power and brute strength like Lynch. Just my opinion though :)

Top Bottom