• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Falcons 30, Seahawks 28, A Moral Victory?

travisduncan

Huddler
Reaction score
"We found something today that was powerful," Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said after the Atlanta Falcons ultimately put the breaks on a Seattle comeback to hang on for a 30-28 win Sunday.

But as silver linings go, this one is sparkling-at least to coach Carroll.

"Last week was terrific to get the win, we gained more today," Carroll concluded.

After a sub-par first half, the Seattle offense showed remarkable improvement not only in the game but since coming together in a hurried fashion followed the NFL lockout in late August. The offense gained 372 total yards against Atlanta. It is the first time this season the team has gained over 300 yards.

Tarvaris Jackson played one his best games, if not his best game thus far in the Green and Blue, passing for 319 yards with three touchdowns despite throwing two interceptions. And most importantly, he nearly put the Seahawks in a position to win the game. He attributed his performance to a greater team chemistry and better protection from the offensive line.

"We had a talk last night as a team, I told the offensive line, I felt better coming into this game then I felt all year," Jackson said. "It was time for us to breakout. I feel like we are coming together more as a team, not just offense, but special teams and defense."

"I felt like anytime we got the ball we just knew they couldn't stop us," Jackson continued. "We're just going to take the next step, and have two halves like that."

Five Seattle players had 30 or more yards receiving, led by rookie Doug Baldwin with five catches for 84 yards. Baldwin is proving to be one of the Carroll/Schneider regime's best pickups, signing the Stanford product as an undrafted free-agent this summer.

Mike Williams got into the action as well, with three receptions for 36 yards and a touchdown reception to bring the Seahawks within two scores in the third quarter.

Marshawn Lynch ran the ball just eight times for 24 yards but scored from 11 yards out to make it a one-possession game late in the third quarter.

The Seahawks defense allowed Jackson and the offense one more chance to win the game with a final drive. The Seahawks were only able to get the ball to the Atlanta 43-yard line after a fatal false-start penalty on wide receiver Sidney Rice. From 61-yards out, Steven Hauschka was short at the end of regulation.

Despite the loss, was this game a reflection of what Carroll and John Schneider envisioned with the free-agent signings of Jackson, Rice and tight end Zach Miller?

Carroll noted, "The willingness to hang in there when it's 27-7, coming back after a very dismal first half, to hang in there and execute so well against such a good football team. The speed we played with, the intensity we finished with, the execution we demonstrated when it was as tough as it gets, was excellent."

"It's about as much as you can take out of game with getting beat. There was growth. [Readers in the newspaper tomorrow] may not feel it, but I felt it and and I know it."

Top Bottom