• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Greatest Seattle Band of All Time?

Greatest Seattle Band of All Time?

• 1. Pearl Jam

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. Soundgarden

• 4. Nirvana

• 5. Jimi Hendrix

• 7. Death Cab For Cutie

• 8. Queensryche

• 9. Other (please specify)

• Total voters
Reaction score
I'm torn between Pearl Jam and Himsa... But Himsa recently broke up and Pearl Jam is still together and will leave a legacy behind that no one will forget and I guess that's the sign of greatness so I gave than the edge even though I prefer Himsa's music...

MONSTRO

Huddler
Reaction score
It is without a doubt Hendrix. I love how people rate and overrate people by talent alone. That ain't it kid - it's producing music that sounds good. Yeah, I know that Joe Satriani is technically a better guitarist than the Johnny Ramone, but I would listen to the Ramones over Satriani any day. Jimi's guitar licks rock, I don't sit there like some nerd and think, "That part was too easy, hence I won't enjoy it."

That's math rock, and for kids who like Rush.

And you limit Hendrix's impact to the guitar - Mitch Mitchell was my favorite drummer of all time, him and Keith Moon were my two biggest influences.

And Nirvana was better than Pearl Jam :twisted: But both bands should be cursed forever for the garbage copy cat clone bands they gave rise to.

Idahawk

Reaction score
Hendrix is an icon of music and will remain that way forever....I think that only pearl jam will have that kind of lasting effect on music in this era. Nirvana will be high on the list , but long term may be remembered more as a tragic story and less for the music..And to be " the Greatest " you have to have longevity IMO and hendrix has already proven that .

If you want to get picky about it the greatest seattle band every put together would have to be Temple of the Dog.
Which had members from both Soundgarden And Pearl Jam LOL

Should break this down by genre Rock ,pop, grunge ect ..because Jimmy Wins hands down when its an open field

Reaction score
MONSTRO said:
It is without a doubt Hendrix. I love how people rate and overrate people by talent alone. That ain't it kid - it's producing music that sounds good. Yeah, I know that Joe Satriani is technically a better guitarist than the Johnny Ramone, but I would listen to the Ramones over Satriani any day. Jimi's guitar licks rock, I don't sit there like some nerd and think, "That part was too easy, hence I won't enjoy it."

That's math rock, and for kids who like Rush.

And you limit Hendrix's impact to the guitar - Mitch Mitchell was my favorite drummer of all time, him and Keith Moon were my two biggest influences.

And Nirvana was better than Pearl Jam :twisted: But both bands should be cursed forever for the garbage copy cat clone bands they gave rise to.

Ok, but isn't what sounds good subjective? I mean I would much rather listen to Joe Satriani than most, if not all, other 80s music. I enjoy a really technically challenging riff over something that just sounds good... I want to be able to be blown away at at least one point during a song, that doesn't have to be a solo. But I'm not going to be blown away by something that just "sounds good" and hence why one of my favorite bands is Between The Buried and Me(They aren't a Seattle band though). They are the most talented group of musicians I've ever heard, I mean maybe some of their stuff will be kind of hard for you guys to listen to but the last 3:30 of "Selkies: The Endless Obsession" and the last 2:00 of "Mordecai" is music any self musician can and should appreciate.

As for drummers again I go back to BTBAM Blake Richardson is the man, also Justin Foley from Killswitch Engage, and Thomas Lang.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Really? That's what you come to the table with? I would say they have endurance and the ability to play hard and fast. That does not translate into musical talent.

As for being blown away by something that is technically difficult rather than sounding good, well, I will write you the most difficult piece of music ever. That is not hard. In fact, it is rather easy.

Making what you play sound good, whether it be technically easy or difficult, that is hard. Making your music sound good is taking it to the next level. It is like the difference between a QB executing difficult plays the OC calls in v. the QB comprehending the defensive package and adjusting by calling a new play accordingly. It is a whole new level.

Reaction score
Number 18 said:
Really? That's what you come to the table with? I would say they have endurance and the ability to play hard and fast. That does not translate into musical talent.

As for being blown away by something that is technically difficult rather than sounding good, well, I will write you the most difficult piece of music ever. That is not hard. In fact, it is rather easy.

Making what you play sound good, whether it be technically easy or difficult, that is hard. Making your music sound good is taking it to the next level. It is like the difference between a QB executing difficult plays the OC calls in v. the QB comprehending the defensive package and adjusting by calling a new play accordingly. It is a whole new level.

.... You're kidding me right? Blake Richardson does everything and does it at a level I can't fathom playing at. I mean yes they play metal primarily, but the band does a lot of jazzy type of stuff and there's even a hoedown in one of their songs and they make it sound amazing. Justin Foley can go absolutely crazy, but doesn't show it in a lot of KsE's songs. He has such good timing it's unbelievable, really technical but his craziness can be subtle. And Thomas Lang is just simply the man, he's really creative and just insane... I mean watch [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvbRr3FjVl4]THIS[/ame]. All of those guys understand music very well, They all know how to play fast but that's not their primary agenda they all know how to play very complex music. They understand music, that's why I like them. You don't see me saying Joey Jordison, and Dave Lombardo are the best because those are guys who only play tasteless fast music.

It's not about writing something technically difficult, anyone can do that. It's about pulling it off and doing so cleanly. Again I go back to Between The Buried and Me. They are extremely talented, they all have have jazz backgrounds, they all understand more complicated music, and they apply it to metal. So not only is what they're playing fast, and precise, but it's also very complicated and it sounds good... To me anyways, and even if you don't like it they have some parts that are more mass appeal, for instance [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19UZd_DKs2Q]CLICK[/ame] That is "Selkies: The Endless Obsession" go to about 3 minutes and 30 seconds into the song if you can't bare to listen to the whole thing, you'll hear an amazing jazzy guitar solo leading up to a very tasteful, very insane sweep arpeggio guitar solo. Also you'll notice :eek: the drummer isn't just playing fast... He's playing some kind of simple jazz rhythms with some subtle complicated syncopation thrown in leading into more of a rock type rhythm, but it's very syncopated at times. HE'S ACTUALLY dare I say it?!?!? Blending?!?!? Making the songs sound :shock: GOOD?!?!? Also [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STh01Fwb6-M]CLICK[/ame] That is "Mordecai" this song features their old drummer, who's not quite as good but still good. Again if you can't bare to listen to the whole song go 2 minutes and 30 seconds into the video, that's when the song slows down an it gets really emotional... There's some really nice guitar work, drums don't get too crazy a little subtle syncopation and then a pretty cool pseudo-drum solo. So they do "take it to a whole new level" they take it beyond that in fact, there's plenty more I can show you but don't just write me off because I'm only 19... I know what I'm talking about, I can always learn more but I'm not just like your average musically ignorant metal head saying "HEY! PLAY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY FAST!!!"

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I can write you off because you write everyone else off and speak down to them in regards to their opinions and tastes when it comes to music. Plain and simple.

And just because you have a jazz background does not mean you are instantly talented. Sorry.

Reaction score
Number 18 said:
I can write you off because you write everyone else off and speak down to them in regards to their opinions and tastes when it comes to music. Plain and simple.

And just because you have a jazz background does not mean you are instantly talented. Sorry.

I'm not writing everyone else off, I just really don't like Jimi Hendrix. Although I do realize he had a big influence on even today's music he just wasn't that talented. Anyone can come up with something that sounds weird when they're on acid lol.

I didn't say that. I said they had a jazz background AND that they're talented, I gave plenty of other examples. I've never heard a band that can do what they do.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
MONSTRO said:
And Nirvana was better than Pearl Jam :twisted:

Nope. It just is not true. Basic logic:

Nirvana < Foo Fighters < Pearl Jam

Nirvana, in all 6 of their albums, could not even come close to matching Yellow Ledbetter, one of Pearl Jam's very first songs. Of course, Yellow Ledbetter, in my opinion, is probably one of the greatest "b sides" in history.

S

Seattlehawk94

12thManzAlive said:
This is a no brainer,

If it was a no brainer it would be Kurt Cobain's band... :lol:

The only thing with more brains than ol' Kurt is the wall he was standing in front of.... :lol:

I voted for PJ though....Betterman was the greatest damn song written by a Seattle band, love the changes, starts out slow and soft and turns into just loud chaos...Love that song!

Reaction score
Seattlehawk94 said:
12thManzAlive said:
This is a no brainer,

The only thing with more brains than ol' Kurt is the wall he was standing in front of.... :lol:

hahahaha that reminds me of my favorite music joke.

what has 9 arms and sucks? Def Leppard!

S

Seattlehawk94

bobflipaburger said:
Seattlehawk94 said:
12thManzAlive said:
This is a no brainer,

hahahaha that reminds me of my favorite music joke.

what has 9 arms and sucks? Def Leppard!

LOLOLOLOLOL

Fucking priceless! :lol:

Best music joke I've ever heard is:

Why did Michael Jackson call up Boyz2Men?

He thought it was a delivery service.... :lol:

Top Bottom