• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

John Schneider talks to the media—don't expect a QB with the 12th pick

travisduncan

Huddler
Reaction score
Seahawks GM John Schneider met with the media in Indianapolis on Thursday for a good 15 or 20 minutes.

As you might expect not a whole lot was learned but you might speculate the Seahawks are not going to use a high pick on a quarterback based on his comments. If anything the Seahawks are more interested in finding a suitable back up for Tarvaris Jackson through free-agency or a trade.

On the expectation that the Seahawks will eventually have to pull the trigger on a quarterback early in the draft:

"No. If it happens it happens. I think you can really put yourself in a tough situation if you just go all in with a guy you feel pressured to take. You can really set the organization back."

"I'm talking about guaranteeing a guy a ton of money if you're not quite sure he's the guy who's going to get you over the hump."

On talks with Marshawn Lynch:

"We're having great discussions. We've had great discussions since probably two or three weeks left in the season. There's not animosity, at all, it's good dialogue . No fist fights."

On whether Lynch's stats in the first part of the season will affect contract negotiations

"No not necessarily because we were kind of coming together with our offensive line. It was a new group, odd, odd, odd offseason. With him it was more of just a timing thing with his reads and anticipation. Once he started trusting it, and once the guys upfront came together he kind of took off. Once those guys became a little more of a cohesive group he continued to perform at a high level."

How he thought Tarvaris Jackson played, and plans to upgrade that position:

"I know you guys get sick of me saying this but every year we're looking. We're never going to panic. As far as how he played. I thought he did a great job especially with that offensive line. It kind of came to fruition the way we thought it would having (offensive coordinator) Darrell Bevel there he came he knew the offense, he could step in the huddle the first day. And quite frankly he's such a tough guy, such a strong guy, he could kind of hang in there and take those shots. And he did it, he played with a torn pec. I am sure there are some throws he wishes he would have stepped into and that sort of things, but we're proud of the way he played."

"We're always looking to upgrade that position. We're really happy with Josh Portis. He had a phenomenal preseason and made a lot of progress throughout the year as well. He's working his tail off on his own right now."

"We'll have to evaluate Charlie (Whitehurst's) situation now in free-agency and compare Charlie to the rest of the free agents and guys who are players we might trade for or anyone who could be cap casualties we're kind of on top of that."

Schneider does not seem overwhelmed with this year's quarterback class. He called it a "unique class"-which could be translated as no one really blows me away which would be available after Luck or Robert Griffin III.

"It's a very unique class. Every guy is in a different mold, every guys got this weird little, not weird, but different niche to him. "

His thoughts on Ryan Tannehill out of Texas A&M, projected as a quarterback to be available and drafted as high as the 12th pick.

"The guy was a quarterback in high school. Just a football player. First and foremost that's what we're looking for. You could see last year when he stepped in he just went out there and played. He had this natural toughness about him and the players rallied around him and they went on a winning streak. He did a nice job."

Top Bottom