• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Never meet your hero's...how twitter ruins players images

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
I have a number of Seahawks on my twitter feed. I rarely post a message on twitter, but i do re-tweet messages I find interesting. I use it during the season to get insights on how we're doing from a players perspective...not that any earth shattering news is gained there, but I've learned of team news hours before the national media gets a hold of it. So it's kind of useful. You also get lots of info on events that aren't regionally broadcast which is nice.

That being said I've heard a lot of bravado from our current players all this off season.

One in particular offender is Doug Baldwin. Doug seems to have a huge inferiority complex and reads everything said about him that's negative and then comments on anything he deems to be inaccurate; which usually is everything he reads negative.

I like him, he's a great player, but he whines publicly way too much. If he needs to use these opinions as fuel that's great, but at some point you have to understand only YOU can evaluate yourself, others cannot define who you are. When I hear him irritated by some article he's read it sounds petty. It's as if he's trying to convince everyone he's worth it...we know Doug, we've seen you play.

A few other Seahawks like Sherman have also started "Twitter Wars" which just shows poor impulse control. They sound like two 10th graders arguing who's better. Like I said, fuel is great...but sometimes they go way too far.

I realize these guys rely on social media to sell their swag, notify fans about their appearances and use their followers as a commodity to pitch products like watches, investments and T-shirts.

Twitter accounts have dollar figures associated with them like they were a stock on the exchange. Thus they almost are required to have an account, I get that. But why spit out ever dumb thought that comes into your mind at any given moment? What happened to having a little modesty, a little self control and some class?

They say "never meet your hero's" and twitter makes it easier than ever to do just that.

The problem now is that maybe we're getting to know them too much.

My two cents...

Reaction score
Yeah Doug has been a little too sensitive lately. Even for his “Me against the World” persona.
Sherman seems on par. He hasn't been the instigator in the most recent spats. He was responding to other NFL players comments on him.

OP
BleedsBlue12

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
Yeah Doug has been a little too sensitive lately. Even for his “Me against the World” persona.
Sherman seems on par. He hasn't been the instigator in the most recent spats. He was responding to other NFL players comments on him.

His response isn't the problem; it's the audience included in the response. You can send a private message on twitter.

If I have an issue with a coworker I don't CC the entire company to make sure everyone knows how right I am. The other thing is if I'm irritated I don't respond immediately either; I leave my scathing response to marinate a while and then I edit it. It's email 101...so there should also be a twitter response 101. Just saying...

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
They say "never meet your hero's" and twitter makes it easier than ever to do just that.
Excellent double entendre Blue. With the media being more antagonistic and the internet 24/7/365 the constant serving themselves up as a topic of conversation can't be helpful. Off season should be a time to relax and recuperate physically and mentally. Staying in contact with your coaches should be enough. These guys won't get it until its too late.

Idahawk

Reaction score
Jim Irsay Tweets " being cuffed and stuffed right now , hi mom ! , call my lawyer and go to my house and get the crack out of the cookie jar "
# go colts

Esto Perpetua

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Good post.

It seems Doug has a different persona depending on his communication. In interviews he comes of as sharp, well spoken, reserved, yet with the competitive edge or 'chip'.
But when tweets, or goes writes an article he comes of as a little naive and everything you guys mentioned... sensitive, petty, me against the world.

I love twitter and have been following players for years now. I like to think of tweets from celebrates as 'perception that the player wants to project, but sometimes impulse and emotion gets the best of them.

Here are MY perceptions of some of the players I follow based on tweets:

Russell Okung: Religious, humble, respectable, gentleman

Russell Wilson: Religious, charitable, inspirational, respected

KJ Wright: Girl problems.

Kam: Spends times with fans, leader, pro, 'he's the man, he's the man, he's Kam....

Marshawn: .......................... thanks boss...

Richard Sherman: as himself..

Michael Bennett: Thankful, loves his teamates... btw did you see that tweet he sent to Jared Allen? Said "SB again"....

Reaction score
Good post.

It seems Doug has a different persona depending on his communication. In interviews he comes of as sharp, well spoken, reserved, yet with the competitive edge or 'chip'.
But when tweets, or goes writes an article he comes of as a little naive and everything you guys mentioned... sensitive, petty, me against the world.

I love twitter and have been following players for years now. I like to think of tweets from celebrates as 'perception that the player wants to project, but sometimes impulse and emotion gets the best of them.

Here are MY perceptions of some of the players I follow based on tweets:

Russell Okung: Religious, humble, respectable, gentleman

Russell Wilson: Religious, charitable, inspirational, respected

KJ Wright: Girl problems.

Kam: Spends times with fans, leader, pro, 'he's the man, he's the man, he's Kam....

Marshawn: .......................... thanks boss...

Richard Sherman: as himself..

Michael Bennett: Thankful, loves his teamates... btw did you see that tweet he sent to Jared Allen? Said "SB again"....

No!! Link?

Top Bottom