• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Seahawks flee from early round picks

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
In preparation for their inevitable salary cap hell.:whistling:

OP
R

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
Preparation is avoidance.

If going into salary cap hell is a byproduct of another SB I'll take another Lombardi.

Say hello to the basement when you get there.

I'd make that trade too…..Lombardi, not basement.

OP
R

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
Make a deal with ya ! I'll quit with the LA stuff if you quit with the Salary cap hell stuff , our boy One is about to blow .

Impossible since he has me on ignore. Besides the LA stuff is dreamland whereas the cap stuff is becoming a real possibility.

Idahawk

Reaction score
Not really ..I just know how these dick measuring contests go ......they never end ...so a little rest so we can talk draft is welcome.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Might as well kill this thread. Like many others it's degenerated from football talk to talk about other posters. People would rather talk about themselves than talk about football.

As for the original post, the cap had nothing to do with the Seahawks' draft strategy. It's more of the same as what they've always done. The more picks they make, the better chance they have of hitting the mark. That's how they're building a dynasty here, by law of averages.

Ignorance is not bliss, especially for the rest of the sad sacks in the division.

OP
R

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
Might as well kill this thread. Like many others it's degenerated from football talk to talk about other posters. People would rather talk about themselves than talk about football.

As for the original post, the cap had nothing to do with the Seahawks' draft strategy. It's more of the same as what they've always done. The more picks they make, the better chance they have of hitting the mark. That's how they're building a dynasty here, by law of averages.

Ignorance is not bliss, especially for the rest of the sad sacks in the division.

Dynasty?:rolleyes: Yet you bring up "the law of averages"?:whistling:

Idahawk

Reaction score
I think what you have realize RW is that the Seahawks have proven that it doesn't take high priced , high round draft picks to win . Their playing the rookie wage scale and FA game magnificently and paying the core leaders along the way . The player pool is ever growing and the Seahawks leave no stone unturned in finding guys .

OP
R

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
I think what you have realize RW is that the Seahawks have proven that it doesn't take high priced , high round draft picks to win . Their playing the rookie wage scale and FA game magnificently and paying the core leaders along the way . The player pool is ever growing and the Seahawks leave no stone unturned in finding guys .

Apparently his first draft of Okung and Thomas in the first round and Tate in the second round in 2010 are forgotten? That is how Petey rolled his first draft. Extremely conventional yet successful. Wilson was a third round pick and Sherman a fifth in later draft. Yet it's been done before. By the '99 Rams. Reality is going to bite the seahawks fan base hard once the well runs dry. You can't claim the trading back in the draft is due to expertise when the reality of the salary cap is staring you in the face. Sure later round picks can hit. It happens all the time with individual players. The number Petey has retained and contribute from the later rounds is impressive, yet history shows it is not sustainable. There is always a component of luck involved and luck never stays put for long. To claim Petey has reinvented anything is ridiculously premature, especially the use of the word "dynasty".

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
Apparently his first draft of Okung and Thomas in the first round and Tate in the second round in 2010 are forgotten? That is how Petey rolled his first draft. Extremely conventional yet successful. Wilson was a third round pick and Sherman a fifth in later draft. Yet it's been done before. By the '99 Rams. Reality is going to bite the seahawks fan base hard once the well runs dry. You can't claim the trading back in the draft is due to expertise when the reality of the salary cap is staring you in the face. Sure later round picks can hit. It happens all the time with individual players. The number Petey has retained and contribute from the later rounds is impressive, yet history shows it is not sustainable. There is always a component of luck involved and luck never stays put for long. To claim Petey has reinvented anything is ridiculously premature, especially the use of the word "dynasty".

A few key variables you are missing though are the coaching staff and undrafted rookie free agents.

Keep in mind Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse were both undrafted and both continue to thrive, Kearse especially show an extreme amount of upside after the Super Bowl he had. This year, they were able to aquire Dion Bailey and Jackson Jeffcoat, two potential NFL "misfits" who have the chance to show what they can do and find a spot somewhere on this team if they want it bad enough. You can't tell me that it's "luck" that the Seahawks continue to find undrafted gems that other teams will completely pass on and turn them into starting caliber players.

With the coaching staff we have in place, they've proven they can take average players and make them key pieces. Look at guys like Clinton McDonald, Tony McDaniel, Breno Giacomini, Raheem Brock, and Kentwan Balmer, etc. these were guys who were essentially leftovers or scraps and were all turned into players who provided great depth.

Just my two cents, but these are two parts to the Seahawks I think the rest of league should be taking notes on and could be what keeps us afloat longer than what you're saying.

OP
R

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
A few key variables you are missing though are the coaching staff and undrafted rookie free agents.

Keep in mind Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse were both undrafted and both continue to thrive, Kearse especially show an extreme amount of upside after the Super Bowl he had. This year, they were able to aquire Dion Bailey and Jackson Jeffcoat, two potential NFL "misfits" who have the chance to show what they can do and find a spot somewhere on this team if they want it bad enough. You can't tell me that it's "luck" that the Seahawks continue to find undrafted gems that other teams will completely pass on and turn them into starting caliber players.

With the coaching staff we have in place, they've proven they can take average players and make them key pieces. Look at guys like Clinton McDonald, Tony McDaniel, Breno Giacomini, Raheem Brock, and Kentwan Balmer, etc. these were guys who were essentially leftovers or scraps and were all turned into players who provided great depth.

Just my two cents, but these are two parts to the Seahawks I think the rest of league should be taking notes on and could be what keeps us afloat longer than what you're saying.

Careful with the misfits because all too often they bite you in the ass. You can't dismiss luck. To some varying degree it is always present. Players mature. Experience through failure is gained and where they land when maturity/experience meets skill potential/coaching happens throughout the NFL.

Idahawk

Reaction score
You got to know when to hold em and know when to fold em . We've seen 4 years of this now , I'm pretty confident that if they can cut a entire roster and build a competitive team in just a few years that they can manage to keep talent on this ball club........for as long as PC is here at the least .

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
Seems to me ramswrath should worry about the Rams cap down the road instead of the Seahawks. When all those high draft pick's contracts come due the Rams will be in cap trouble.

OP
R

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
Seems to me ramswrath should worry about the Rams cap down the road instead of the Seahawks. When all those high draft pick's contracts come due the Rams will be in cap trouble.

Well I'm happy to say the Rams have had ample experience in managing a roster with stratospherically high draft picks many years running.:tup:;):(:oops::x3:

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
Well I'm happy to say the Rams have had ample experience in managing a roster with stratospherically high draft picks many years running.:tup:;):(:oops::x3:

That and hiring coaches and quarterbacks. Yep, very talented. :tup:

Top Bottom