• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Seeding based on record

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
There isn't a team with more devoted deserving fans than us and having home field advantage is huge.

I seriously think the NFL should make this change. Of course it wouldn't work in our favor this year with the 9ers having to play in GB but I don't think a team with an 8-8 record in a weak division should gain home field advantage over a 12-4 team.

Super bowls are not played at neutral locations for the sake of fair play, it's for the cash.

Idahawk

Reaction score
The beauty of football is that any team can win on any given day . The NFL and Goodell are doing enough to mess with the game , I don't think taking a reward away from a division champ is merited in this case. If the whiners( probably the people behind this ) or the Saints whom have felt its sting don't like it , then don't lose games and if you do suck it up and take your medicine.

Free Brandon Browner

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
There isn't a team with more devoted deserving fans than us and having home field advantage is huge.

I seriously think the NFL should make this change. Of course it wouldn't work in our favor this year with the 9ers having to play in GB but I don't think a team with an 8-8 record in a weak division should gain home field advantage over a 12-4 team.

Super bowls are not played at neutral locations for the sake of fair play, it's for the cash.

I disagree. The division is everything. It is the goal at the start of the season. Every team has to strive for that otherwise divisional play has no premium. Lets face it, divisional play especially in the NFC Best has a hefty premium. Not long ago the Seahawks edged out the Rams for the division title (both tied at 7-9). Look what ensued since. Each team in the division has improved to the point that the division is now the best in all the NFL. From worst to first and so quickly achieved. Thats because an arms race so to speak occurred among the teams in the division in order to WIN THE DIVISION. If a team can't win its division then don't penalize a team that has won its division.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
I think this year is the anomaly that creates a cause for a straight up seeding system but I am against it.

I like the added complexity and priority in winning your division. It adds to division rivalry and makes those games have more value. Also say there are two strong teams in a division but the other two are very week, so top teams get 2 game win advantage because they play division teams twice.
Also it adds intrigue as 'hot' wild card teams have to become road warriors to make it to the promised land.

Lets pretend for a second that it was in play this year, who would be in the playoffs right now; per seeding?

1-Seahawks
2-Carolina
3-San Fran
4-Saints
5-Philly
6-Az

OP
sprhawk

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
I wasn't meaning they should eliminate a division winner but that is interesting.

1-Seahawks
2-Carolina
3-San Fran
4-Saints
5-Philly
6-GB

It would reverse home field advantage in the wild card games.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Oh I get your meaning, so have 4 Div winners and 2 WC, but seed them per record.

yeah an interesting twist... it seems as though the strongest teams with have HFA.
GB @ San Fan
Philly @ Saints

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
Oh I get your meaning, so have 4 Div winners and 2 WC, but seed them per record.

yeah an interesting twist... it seems as though the strongest teams with have HFA.
GB @ San Fan
Philly @ Saints

Don't seed per record. Win your division and host your first playoff game. I don't understand the rationale that denies the existence of the divisional set up. Why even have divisions if seeding is by record only?

OP
sprhawk

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Don't seed per record. Win your division and host your first playoff game. I don't understand the rationale that denies the existence of the divisional set up. Why even have divisions if seeding is by record only?

I'm not ever sure if it is possible but let's assume a team in a really bad division wins all 6 divisional games but loses every other game. Do they really deserve to have home field advantage over a 11-5 wild card team? Of course odds are the 11-5 team would win the match any way but what if they really sucked on the road?

Green Bay is good example, 4 of their 8 wins and their tie came from divisional games. The other 4 wins were against the skins, browns, falcons and ravens. They don't have a single win against any team with a winning record. Does that warrant hosting the 12-4 9ers?

Not that I mind, the 9ers may find a way lose this one.

Idahawk

Reaction score
Those type of situations tend to work themselves out , the 7-9 Hawks were the exception not the rule .

Free Brandon Browner

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
I'm not ever sure if it is possible but let's assume a team in a really bad division wins all 6 divisional games but loses every other game. Do they really deserve to have home field advantage over a 11-5 wild card team?

Yes they do deserve it otherwise get rid of the divisions altogether.

seahawkblitz

Huddler
Reaction score
This sort of thing happens every year. How would we have felt if we had to go visit the Saints and the "Beastquake" never happened. I know we are sitting pretty right now, but back then I was very thankful for the current seeding system. And I'm sure the Packers and Eagles fans are too.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Those type of situations tend to work themselves out , the 7-9 Hawks were the exception not the rule .

Free Brandon Browner

Yeah, I think this is exactly the reason it should remain the way it is. Makes for a more interesting upset story.
THE DIVISION IS KING!

Top Bottom