• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

To Make the Playoffs or Sandbag for a Better Draft Pick?

dizzle498

Huddler
Reaction score
I am a diehard 'Hawks fan, just like you all. Seeing our team play this year, the inevitable question arises, should we try to win the division or lose out and get a better draft pick?

Honestly, I am torn on this one. I NEVER root for our team to lose, but that is what you have to do to get a better draft pick. If we make the playoffs, will we even be able to do anything? What are the chances we get hot and win a home game plus 2 on the road? Thats going to be tough, real tough. So, I think we should try for the draft pick. We need a lot of help over all if we want to be championship caliber, and that has to start in the draft.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
dizzle498;52092 said:
I am a diehard 'Hawks fan, just like you all. Seeing our team play this year, the inevitable question arises, should we try to win the division or lose out and get a better draft pick?

Honestly, I am torn on this one. I NEVER root for our team to lose, but that is what you have to do to get a better draft pick. If we make the playoffs, will we even be able to do anything? What are the chances we get hot and win a home game plus 2 on the road? Thats going to be tough, real tough. So, I think we should try for the draft pick. We need a lot of help over all if we want to be championship caliber, and that has to start in the draft.

I hear your argument and get the whole draft pick debate, but i am against that completely. We have a young and inexperienced team. Making it to the playoffs at this phase in their career would be the best thing for them, to be able to experience that atmosphere and have the hunger to get back to that point.

Do we have a shot at making a run in the playoffs, honestly no. That's not the point though. In order to build a winning football program you have to build a winning tradition. Regardless of the strength of our conference right now, making the playoffs would be huge for our team and would give them so much confidence going forward.

I know the draft is the only way to rebuild a team the right way, but it can be done without having a top 20 pick. The most important thing is building a winning tradition for whoever comes into our system. Could you imagine how much confidence guys like Earl Thomas and Okung will have knowing they made it to the playoffs their rookie year? I get where you're coming from don't get me wrong, i'm just completely against it.

Reaction score
dmarkholt12;52095 said:
I hear your argument and get the whole draft pick debate, but i am against that completely. We have a young and inexperienced team. Making it to the playoffs at this phase in their career would be the best thing for them, to be able to experience that atmosphere and have the hunger to get back to that point.

Do we have a shot at making a run in the playoffs, honestly no. That's not the point though. In order to build a winning football program you have to build a winning tradition. Regardless of the strength of our conference right now, making the playoffs would be huge for our team and would give them so much confidence going forward.

I know the draft is the only way to rebuild a team the right way, but it can be done without having a top 20 pick. The most important thing is building a winning tradition for whoever comes into our system. Could you imagine how much confidence guys like Earl Thomas and Okung will have knowing they made it to the playoffs their rookie year? I get where you're coming from don't get me wrong, i'm just completely against it.

Agree 100%

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
EricOV;52096 said:
Agree 100%

Me too as well...

I put more importance into "who" we get in the draft rather then "when" we pick.

I hope that #1 round pick is sloted for a QB and we may need to give up picks to move up and get who we want.

Reaction score
First of all.. what kind of message would you send to your players as a Coach telling them to lose games so we can have a higher pick... that shows them that you are giving up and that would be suicide.

You do the opposite, you instill as much confidence as humanely possible. I think the 3 most important things to be successful in the NFL are talented players (obviously), good coaching and confidence. Confidence is huge, it can at times make or break a team.

Like the other said, getting to the playoffs or at least being as competitive as possible down the stretch would be huge for this team. It would carry over big time into next season.

Second part...

Do you guys really think this teams biggest need is a QB?? It's Offensive line, Defensive line and Secondary. Address those 3, and Matt can still give you a couple more winning seasons. Everyone is so critical of Hasselbeck, it's retarded. He threw 2 picks playing behind a shitty line, and he was throwing Deon Butler, Stokley and Tate... no offense to those guy but they are all #3's at best. Peyton Manning threw 4 picks playing behind a much superior line, throwing to Garcon and Reggie Wayne. The "oh so perfect" Bradford didn't fair much better, he threw a pick, no TD and under a 200 yards. But all you hear praise about how they beat the Cardinals 19-6... really??? That is all you could put up on the WORST team in the NFL?

Matt is not the problem!!

I want that Prince kid from Nebraska... but there's no way we pick that high. Paea from Oregon State would be a great addition to our D line. I don't know any OL prospects.

Also wouldn't mind another big mike williams type receiver to supplemental him, since he does have a hard time staying healthy.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
#ONE;52108 said:
First of all.. what kind of message would you send to your players as a Coach telling them to lose games so we can have a higher pick... that shows them that you are giving up and that would be suicide.

You do the opposite, you instill as much confidence as humanely possible. I think the 3 most important things to be successful in the NFL are talented players (obviously), good coaching and confidence. Confidence is huge, it can at times make or break a team.

Like the other said, getting to the playoffs or at least being as competitive as possible down the stretch would be huge for this team. It would carry over big time into next season.

Second part...

Do you guys really think this teams biggest need is a QB?? It's Offensive line, Defensive line and Secondary. Address those 3, and Matt can still give you a couple more winning seasons. Everyone is so critical of Hasselbeck, it's retarded. He threw 2 picks playing behind a shitty line, and he was throwing Deon Butler, Stokley and Tate... no offense to those guy but they are all #3's at best. Peyton Manning threw 4 picks playing behind a much superior line, throwing to Garcon and Reggie Wayne. The "oh so perfect" Bradford didn't fair much better, he threw a pick, no TD and under a 200 yards. But all you hear praise about how they beat the Cardinals 19-6... really??? That is all you could put up on the WORST team in the NFL?

Matt is not the problem!!

I want that Prince kid from Nebraska... but there's no way we pick that high. Paea from Oregon State would be a great addition to our D line. I don't know any OL prospects.

Also wouldn't mind another big mike williams type receiver to supplemental him, since he does have a hard time staying healthy.
This draft class is stacked with d-line talent. I really like our chances of improving that aspect tremendously in this coming up draft.

Reaction score
Good!! It would be great to get another beefy guy to stuff the middle and another speedy guy for the edge. Are there any good OLB/DE hybrid type guys??

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
#ONE;52111 said:
Good!! It would be great to get another beefy guy to stuff the middle and another speedy guy for the edge. Are there any good OLB/DE hybrid type guys??
There are a few like in every draft. The guy that stands out to me the most though as a potential hybrid is Akeem Ayers out of UCLA. Right now hes projected late 1st round by most people.

OP
dizzle498

dizzle498

Huddler
Reaction score
I don't think that I am making the argument that we intentionally throw games, I am merely warming up to the idea that high draft picks would really make a difference on our team. We desperately need a QB in waiting, Chaz Whitehurst is not the answer. We also need help on the D Line. With high draft picks we could get a good QB, Luck out of Stanford will be going number 1, but Cam Newton will be available in the top 15. Wouldn't mind seeing him in a Hawks uni.

I also agree with the experience point made earlier. We have a bunch of good young players and making the playoffs would give us a good push toward next year. Look at the jump the Jets made from last year to this. Tonights game excluded of course. ;)

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I think if you get a defensive lineman that can pass rush, you will see the secondary improve.

I think I'd rank secondary and QB about equal behind d-line and o-line.

mark

Huddler
Reaction score
all good points but ever since the beginning the hawks have all but a few picked lemons in the first pick so i could definetly see us wasting our time again, oh sure you can try but the hawks just dont have that kind of luck its a seahawk stigma and if we do get a lemon sooner or later he will be traded and become a super star for someone else...go figure. someone said on here a post back or two that we had a young team? well i think we have a bunch of worn out veterans myself, sure there is a few young uns but alot of worn out talent. making piss poor decisions and lousy play is just part of the seahawk way of doing things it sucks and has been a long road. will we ever have a totally dominating team befor we all die? not likely! will there ever be a seahawk dynasty? dont hold your breath sure would like to see it though, the NFL draft is a gamble you can still get a bunch of crap in the first round and befor you bash the coach remember he aint the one playing, could you imagine being the coach of a bunch of idiots and getting fired for it? i say whip some ass until the end (if they can) and move on and lets the cards fall in the draft nothing worse than a 20 million dollar waste of sperm

sigpro

Huddler
Reaction score
Tom Brady was a 6th round pick; Ryan Leaf was a #1 pick. Just because you have a high draft pick doesn't mean you are getting an awesome player. Herm once said "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME". This is true even if you aren't going to win the Super Bowl. Fight for a playoff spot for sure.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
mark;52130 said:
all good points but ever since the beginning the hawks have all but a few picked lemons in the first pick so i could definetly see us wasting our time again, oh sure you can try but the hawks just dont have that kind of luck its a seahawk stigma and if we do get a lemon sooner or later he will be traded and become a super star for someone else...go figure. someone said on here a post back or two that we had a young team? well i think we have a bunch of worn out veterans myself, sure there is a few young uns but alot of worn out talent. making piss poor decisions and lousy play is just part of the seahawk way of doing things it sucks and has been a long road. will we ever have a totally dominating team befor we all die? not likely! will there ever be a seahawk dynasty? dont hold your breath sure would like to see it though, the NFL draft is a gamble you can still get a bunch of crap in the first round and befor you bash the coach remember he aint the one playing, could you imagine being the coach of a bunch of idiots and getting fired for it? i say whip some ass until the end (if they can) and move on and lets the cards fall in the draft nothing worse than a 20 million dollar waste of sperm
Although I agree with your final conclusion, im not so sure about the rest of it. We have a completely new front office. From what they showed us last off season, which is the only thing we have to go off of right now, they know what they are doing. You cant put the entire seahawks history on a new front office, that just makes no sense. There is a reason they cleaned house in the front office last year, because their old way wasn't gettin things done.

mark

Huddler
Reaction score
dmarkholt12;52145 said:
Although I agree with your final conclusion, im not so sure about the rest of it. We have a completely new front office. From what they showed us last off season, which is the only thing we have to go off of right now, they know what they are doing. You cant put the entire seahawks history on a new front office, that just makes no sense. There is a reason they cleaned house in the front office last year, because their old way wasn't gettin things done.
that is why i dont believe piss poor performance cant be translated to management as they arent playing the game. give the new management time it takes time to make things happen in the end its the players that are playin not management unless management is lining their pockets with money alotments for players in which case i would definetley have a problem with, they all make enough as it is, sure they are responsible for finding good players but then its the players job to perform. i would like to see them have a trial period to see if the players are of any value and let their actions speak befor we go and offer them the world and then get stuck with a lemon

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
mark;52150 said:
that is why i dont believe piss poor performance cant be translated to management as they arent playing the game. give the new management time it takes time to make things happen in the end its the players that are playin not management unless management is lining their pockets with money alotments for players in which case i would definetley have a problem with, they all make enough as it is, sure they are responsible for finding good players but then its the players job to perform. i would like to see them have a trial period to see if the players are of any value and let their actions speak befor we go and offer them the world and then get stuck with a lemon
That is one of the biggest reasons to why there might be a lockout next year. The players union and management have to come to agreement on rookie salaries. Everyone knows the amount rookies get paid is absurd. Hopefully the league gets this fixed without any lockout.

Top Bottom