• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Tuesday In Hawkville

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
A recap of the day’s activities at Virginia Mason Athletic Center for Oct. 11:
FOCUS ON
Charlie Whitehurst. So, how does a quarterback who got very few reps running the Seahawks’ no-huddle offense in practice last week prepare himself to step in during the second half of Sunday’s game and help pull out a huge win over the New York Giants?
“It’s something that I knew we were going to do, so you kind of do it in your hotel room by yourself,” Whitehurst said.
That would have been Saturday night in Jersey City.
“You can kind of call some plays and make sure you formation things correctly. So you’ve got to prepare yourself that way.”
Really? “I’m in bed doing it,” Whitehurst said, jokingly. “I’ve often wondered if people can hear me through the walls.”
Whatever works. And that must have helped, because Whitehurst threw what proved to be the game-winning touchdown pass to rookie Doug Baldwin as part of his 11-of-19, 149-yard performance.
Whitehurst continued to run the offense today in the first of the team’s two bye-week practices because Tarvaris Jackson is sidelined with the strained pectoral in his throwing (right) shoulder that forced him to leave Sunday’s game.
No one knows when Jackson will be back, so Whitehurst is preparing as he always does – but doing it by getting the starter reps in practice.
“You never know,” Whitehurst said. “I didn’t know I was going to play in the game last weekend. So if I’m called to start, I’ll be ready to do that. I’ll prepare like I’m the starter these next two weeks. If they need me, I’ll be ready.”
PLAYER WATCH
Ben Obomanu. Speaking of players who are ready to step in when needed, the sixth-year wide receiver is making a career of it. Mike Williams could not play against the Giants because the concussion he got against the Atlanta Falcons the week before, so Obomanu started at split end and caught a career-high six passes for 51 yards – including an 11-yard TD catch to cap the Seahawks’ game-opening eight-play, 80-yard drive.
“Ben is really a good player,” coach Pete Carroll said. “He’s just rock-solid. He’s talented. He’s a great worker. He’s got downfield speed. He makes the tough catches. He runs in traffic. He blocks well.
“He’s a front-line player. He’s a star. So in a game like this, Mike wasn’t there and we kept going and it was great.”
Obomanu caught three passes for 31 yards on the game-opening drive.
“That’s how it’s supposed to be when you’re well-equipped,” Carroll said. “Guys step up and fill in and you don’t feel the absence of a guy. Shoot, Ben was all over the first drive. He was on the money.”
Obomanu also started six games last season, when he caught 30 passes and scored four TDs.
IN ’N OUT
Ten players did not participate in today’s 90-minute practice that was held in the indoor practice facility. The unexpected sideline spectator was center Max Unger, who was wearing a protective boot on his right foot because it began to swell on Monday.
“It doesn’t look to be anything too bad,” assistant head coach/line coach Tom Cable said. “Right now, they’re saying we should plan like we’re going to have him next week (for the Oct. 23 game at Cleveland). So we’ll move toward that and see what happens.”
With Unger and backup Lemuel Jeanpierre out, rookie John Moffitt moved to center and was replaced at right guard by Tyler Polumbus.
Also sitting out: left tackle Robert Gallery, running back Marshawn Lynch, tight end Zach Miller, cornerback Marcus Trufant, linebacker Leroy Hill, defensive end Raheem Brock, Jackson and Williams.
Leon Washington replaced Lynch, Obomanu continued to sub for Williams, Anthony McCoy worked for Miller, Walter Thurmond was at left cornerback for Trufant and David Vobora filled in for Hill.
Linebacker Malcolm Smith returned to practice after being sidelined with a hamstring injury.
Rookie linebacker Michael Morgan, who was with the team in the team training camp, has been signed to the practice squad. To clear a spot, fullback Eddie Williams was released.
STAT DU JOUR
Whitehurst’s performance in the final quarter and a half on Sunday was in stark contrast to his first NFL start last season in a 41-7 loss to the Giants in Seattle. Here’s a statistical comparison of the two outings:
Att. Comp. Yards TD Int. Rating
Sunday 19 11 149 1 0 100.5
Last season 23 12 113 1 2 44.3
UP NEXT
The players will have their final bye-week practice on Wednesday, and then be off through Sunday.
YOU DON’T SAY
“I’m really not surprised, honestly. The first few days of training camp we all kind of had a smirk on our face like, ‘How in the world did we get this guy?’ ” – Whitehurst on Baldwin, the undrafted free agent who leads the team in receptions (20) and receiving yards (330) and shares the lead in TD catches (two)

b.gif
xnCAlLIIyzc

Source: Seahawks.com

Top Bottom