• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2010 Free Agency

Reaction score
This years draft class is kind of weak in some of our areas of need. There should be some OT at 14, but as D hawk has been saying that really seems like more of something that we should handle in FA instead of the draft.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Maybe, but with the CBA problems don't look for this FA to be a signing frenzy. A lot of restricted players and they may hold out due to the ability of having to sign a tender. I don't think we'll be landing a true OL in FA.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
It doesnt seem you can hardly miss with backs in the first couple of rounds of the draft. I dont think you need to spend you top pick on one though, thats reserved for OT, franchise QBs, or exceptional playmakers on defense.

11212Knowshon MorenoBroncosGeorgia12727Donald BrownColtsConnecticut13131Chris WellsCardinalsOhio State22153LeSean McCoyEaglesPittsburgh22153LeSean McCoyEaglesPittsburgh3165Shonn GreeneJetsIowa2008Alabama

144Darren McFaddenRaidersArkansas11313Jonathan StewartPanthersOregon12222Felix JonesCowboysArkansas12323Rashard MendenhallSteelersIllinois12424Chris JohnsonTitansEast Carolina21344Matt ForteBearsTulane

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
My problem with taking a running back in the first-round is the money commitment.

Having said that here's a little gut feeling I have heading into our Free Agency which starts in over 10 days. Kevin Mawae is set to become a Free Agent March 5th pending a long-term deal with the Titans. If he does become a FA why not make a move at the veteran center? He's a reliable leader, player and would only improve the development of Max Unger or Steve Vallos. I think it makes sense to bring Mawae in after the Seahawks drafted him in 1994. It's a true shame Dennis Erickson let him get away to the Jets. Mawae's leadership and talent would be a great mentor for Unger and even Chris Spencer if he returns.
The signing also makes sense with the possible lock-out after the 2010 season. Mawae may want just a one-year deal and the Seahawks could commit money without worrying about the salary cap. If the Salary Cap is accepted after the 2010 season it won't count against them if they sign him to a one-year deal.

Reaction score
I would like to see the Taylor move. I'm not a big fan of drafting CJ Spiller at 14 or Jahvid Best at 40 eventhough I like both players. I'm hoping Dez Bryant or Sam Bradford or Jimmy Cluasen are still on the board and the Seahawks can trade out of 14. Much more value around 20. Right now I'm thinking 3 names at 40 in order Terrence Cody, Taylor Mayes, Charles Davis. There are backs in later rounds that can complament Forsett.
As for Kevin Mawea, he will stunt the growth of Max Unger who is ready to play, he proved it last year when he was moved to C and he fits Alex Gibbs system better. Kevin was one of the greatest C ever but not anymore and you don't retard the development of an up and comer to bring in a on the way downer.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
good points, B&B, I agree with your thoughts on RB and Mawae/Unger.
Mawae is just too damn old! I mean, hes older then me! (37)
Wasnt he gonna retire last year?

But bring in a FA OL that is in his prime that has leadership qualities, if available to be the senior guy. Willis has also proven to be a bit of a leader on the line.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Good points on Unger, but we could use him at guard if we lose Rob Sims. Remember Mawae wasn't a center when he entered the league. So Unger moving one-year at guard and learning from Mawae may not hurt as much as people would expect.

Reaction score
Hawk096- I will address that on this weeks podcast, I will let everyone know when it is up so you can listen if you would like. I have way to much to say to type it in this forum and subject anyone to reading it.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Sounds good Brett.

I'm not saying Seattle will sign Mawae I'm just saying it's a possibility and if they did I wouldn't be against the signing.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I would be against signing a center and playing him at center if Unger is supposed to be our long term solution. If that was one of a few key pieces keeping us from a Super Bowl run, it would be a different story.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Kicker Olindo Mare has been tagged today with the Franchise Tag by Seattle. Mare set a team record of 21 consecutive kicks during the season after he was wildly criticized for missing two field-goals against the Chicago Bears by then head coach Jim Mora. After that he made up for that and kicked 21 straight field goals without a miss. Mare will make $2.629 from the franchise tender this year and joins Josh Brown as the only two Seahawk kickers to earn the tag. This September will kick-off his 14th season in the NFL since graduating from Syracuse University and signing as an un-drafted free agent with the New York Giants. He made one Pro Bowl in 1999 with the Dolphins and also earned All-Pro selection that year. In 2009 he was a Pro Bowl Alternative in the NFC.

Bigtexhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Just a question for the masses:

Being in Dallas, I, of course, am bombarded with Cow-girl talk day in and day out. The biggest news is that Jerry Jones did not place the Franchise Tag on WR Austin Miles which makes him a restricted, I believe, FA. Word this morning is that the Cowboys will offer a 3.5 million dollar a year contract to him.

Not fully comprehending the free agency rules and regulations surrounding this year group, would it be in any Hawk interest to try to pick up Miles, whom, I believe, actually does have very good potential as the "Home-run" threat in the receiving corp. We are very disappointed in Branch, already tired of the gripping Housh does, and with Nate's injury problems, it may be an idea to keep in mind.

Just another name to throw out there.

(I do believe that OL and RB are bigger priorities)

Cowboys work to keep Austin: The Dallas Morning News reports Cowboys WR Miles Austin did not get the franchise tag placed on him, but the team will likely put the first- and third-round tender on Austin before free agency hits next week. That will make Austin a restricted free agent, put at least $3.168 million in his pocket and give the two sides more time to figure out what is fair with an uncertain labor future to sign him to a long-term contract. Austin said in an interview with CBSSports.com that he wants to stay with Dallas. "I want to stay here 100 percent," said Austin, who reached the Pro Bowl in a breakout season with 81 catches for 1,320 yards and 11 touchdowns. "Dallas is a great city. Being able to hang out with guys like Jason Witten and Tony (Romo) and so many great guys on the team. It's a great feeling."

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Miles Austin I'm pretty sure can still be tendered a Restricted Free Agent. Therefore they will be able to match any offer a team offers that team and receive a draft pick as compensation. I don't think we will go after Miles Austin.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Today Brandon Marshall was tendered a first-round tender officially ending speculation that he'll be a Seahawk in my book. If Seattle wants to improve the position which we need to you don't do it by "giving" a first-round selection for Marshall. We still can re-sign Nate Burleson and let Deion Branch go, but why give a pick up for Marshall? Right now we aren't one piece away from the Lombardi Trophy so it's not worth losing a draft pick over. Free Agency is exactly 29 hours and 40 minutes away from kicking off. Tonight I will spend a little down time and work on some blogs, while they will be posted tomorrow. I will be up late tomorrow night following the possible "moves". So I ask all of you to follow the blog and Twitter as much as you can in the next several weeks!

Reaction score
I'm expecting the Seahawks to make a lot of moves. Hopefully they can trade Branch for a quality player or a 3rd round pick. They also need to re-sign Burleson, Sims, Malloy, and Ken Lucas.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Just over 9 hours until Free Agency is officially underway. Today the Seahawks tendered:
David Hawthorne- Exclusively.
Darryl Tapp- Original Pick tender (2nd Round)
Ben Obomanu- Original Pick (7th Round)
Rob Sims- Original Pick (4th Round)
Chris Spencer- Original Pick (1st Round)

I am honestly disappointed with Spencer's tender. I understand the reasoning that if a team wants him we will get their first-round pick as compensation, but I still don't think he should be around in Seattle. He truly has proven to be a true bust of Tim Ruskell's pick in 2005.

Given the tags I would be surprised to see a team make a run at either one of the Seahawks RFA.

Brandon Frye and Lance Laury were not tagged making them unrestricted free agents in this year's free agency.

Top Bottom