• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"Biggest game" ever at CLink/Kingdome?

Cyoplasm

Huddler
Reaction score
Kind of a spinoff of what I heard on Bob and Groz yesterday...
I'm a young buck so I never had the pleasure of watching some of the big games in the 80's.
Obviously the SB was the biggest game in franchise history, but we don't need to relive that moment again.

Would anyone else disagree this is much bigger than the NFC championship against Carolina?
Based on the rivalry alone I think so. Furthermore a SB against Manning or Brady would obviously be the most important game of all time in franchise history and make for quite the 2 consecutive weeks of Seahawk football.

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
As a Rams fan I'm biased towards the 2004 playoff in which the Rams sent the Seahawks faithful home on a sad note. Seahawks will win this one.:tup:

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
I'd say it's bigger because of the strength of the opponent and we're playing at home with the #1 seed.

In the 83-84 playoff runs it was huge because of the newness of the franchise, so it was a different kind of excitement. Of course then we were not playing at home and for the AFC championship faced the hated Raiders.

In 2005 it was exciting, but I didn't feel the strength of our opponents leading up to the Superbowl were the same caliber as this years championship. In 2005 Carolina had one real weapon, Steve Smith and he was neutralized. I'd also add that Shaun Alexander was not as explosive or exciting to watch as Lynch...Lynch is a game changer. Our Defense was very good, but not as good as this years Legion of Boom.

That being said I'd liken this match-up to the fight "Rumble in the jungle" fought 1974 in Zaire between Foreman - Ali ...with the Seahawks being Ali of course. (You young whippersnappers can Google that.)

Hawks for life...

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
That being said I'd liken this match-up to the fight "Rumble in the jungle" fought 1974 in Zaire between Foreman - Ali ...with the Seahawks being Ali of course. (You young whippersnappers can Google that.)

This will be an epic game but the teams match up well. Therefore I'd say the boxing analogy is the "Thrilla in Manila" with both teams leaving it all on the field and the game decided in the final 2 minutes.

SF 16 8 80

Huddler
Reaction score
I'd say it's bigger because of the strength of the opponent and we're playing at home with the #1 seed.

In the 83-84 playoff runs it was huge because of the newness of the franchise, so it was a different kind of excitement. Of course then we were not playing at home and for the AFC championship faced the hated Raiders.

In 2005 it was exciting, but I didn't feel the strength of our opponents leading up to the Superbowl were the same caliber as this years championship. In 2005 Carolina had one real weapon, Steve Smith and he was neutralized. I'd also add that Shaun Alexander was not as explosive or exciting to watch as Lynch...Lynch is a game changer. Our Defense was very good, but not as good as this years Legion of Boom.

Hawks for life...

Will wonders never cease. At the time, you guys talked about him and Hass like they took turns being God.

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
Will wonders never cease. At the time, you guys talked about him and Hass like they took turns being God.

I said nothing against Hass. I said nothing bad about Alexander. He was just a different style runner.

Where do you get this universal "you guys" opinion?

I remember the 49ers sucking hard back then (no pun intended)...try remembering those heydays ring boy. ;)

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score

Yeah they did but those teams suffered from WRs with the dropsies. A RB that despised his head coach. A QB with happy feet who had ZERO touch on the ball and a head coach who couldn't manage a knee knocker game. Petey definitely knows how to build a roster and how to get the most out of his players though Wilson's play of late calls that somewhat into question. The big difference, an overwhelming difference is this teams defense. It is special.

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
Yeah they did but those teams suffered from WRs with the dropsies. A RB that despised his head coach. A QB with happy feet who had ZERO touch on the ball and a head coach who couldn't manage a knee knocker game. Petey definitely knows how to build a roster and how to get the most out of his players though Wilson's play of late calls that somewhat into question. The big difference, an overwhelming difference is this teams defense. It is special.

I'd agree with that.

Although I would say that both Pete and Holmgrem are equally conservative, Pete is slightly less conservative given the QB we have in Wilson. Hass obviously could not escape like Wilson.

The drops were the absolute worst part of our game. I believe we led the league in drops and it drove me insane.

Reaction score

That year, Hasselbeck was one of the statistically best QB's in the league. He didn't have gaudy numbers but he was very efficient. His numbers were: 65.5% completion for 3,500 yards 24 TD's and 9 INTs with a 98.2 passer rating. All of this on a very run heavy team.

Alexander is pretty obvious. League MVP. 27 TDs (NFL record at the time) and 1800 yards rushing.

So the gushing from the 12th Man was well warranted.

But that was 2005. This is 2013 and no one will argue that Marshawn Lynch is a better RB than Shaun. Shaun was good but he was baby bottom soft compared to Lynch. If you put Lynch behind that line that included Walter Jones, Steve Hutchinson and Tobeck, he's going for 2,500 yards and 30 TDs most years.

OP
Cyoplasm

Cyoplasm

Huddler
Reaction score
As much as it would be great for historically great rivalry games, that particular scenario would be cool looking back, but I'm greedy...
It needs to be like the previous 2 meetings here in Seattle, for morale going into the SB. We always hear about these players loving the national media giving them a "chip on their shoulder", but the offense needs to execute better. The play calling from Bev' and injuries to WR's that haven't contributed to this team anyways have nothing to do with the execution the last month. For once, I agree with the talking heads.

Not to look ahead past this week, but against a Denver team, our defense may not give up 45 points like Denver is used to scoring, but, we WILL need to score 28-35 to be safe. Turnovers will be a premium for the LOB against Manning or Brady in a neutral field, so yes, it's no surprise that we need to execute in all 3 phases this, and hopefully on Feb 2nd.

OP
Cyoplasm

Cyoplasm

Huddler
Reaction score
When a noob notices you're a troll, you're a troll!
It's all good brother. I'll earn my stripes just like everyone else.
You're right though, I'm a troll.
I just do my trolling elsewhere.

Reaction score
As much as it would be great for historically great rivalry games, that particular scenario would be cool looking back, but I'm greedy...
It needs to be like the previous 2 meetings here in Seattle, for morale going into the SB. We always hear about these players loving the national media giving them a "chip on their shoulder", but the offense needs to execute better. The play calling from Bev' and injuries to WR's that haven't contributed to this team anyways have nothing to do with the execution the last month. For once, I agree with the talking heads.

Not to look ahead past this week, but against a Denver team, our defense may not give up 45 points like Denver is used to scoring, but, we WILL need to score 28-35 to be safe. Turnovers will be a premium for the LOB against Manning or Brady in a neutral field, so yes, it's no surprise that we need to execute in all 3 phases this, and hopefully on Feb 2nd.

I strongly disagree. First of all. The play calling, whether it's Bevell alone or whether its Carroll influencing Bevell, has not aided the passing game one bit. For example on Saturday, after Wilson missed Tate on a slant pass on 3rd down, Bevell called 8 straight runs on our next possession(s). That's not how you help your QB get in rhythm. A lot of that game was run, run, pass punt. The QB is at a huge disadvantage when the defense knows he's passing and his receivers aren't consistently getting separation.

And maybe talking " what could've been" with Percy isn't relevant, but Sidney Rice and his 6'4" frame sure would be nice right about now, wouldn't you agree? I really like our guys, but none of our healthy guys are #1 type receivers. I would even argue that Percy when healthy isn't a true #1. Imagine what this team would be accomplishing right now had they traded for Josh Gordon. He would be huge! This team definitely needs to either draft or trade for a legitimate number one receiver in the offseason.

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Well One it's getting harder to argue after the beasts performance against the Saints.

The biggest difference I see between now and '05 is the confidence level. No one could challenge us in 2005 and going into the NFC championship game and the SB, I had no doubt we would win it all.

Not quite as confident this year as then even though I think this team is better.

Pats/Broncos, either way it is going to be a challenge.

OP
Cyoplasm

Cyoplasm

Huddler
Reaction score

Some of my greatest memories will be of Alexander... "At the time" he was great watching, a great role model as well, but there's something about the style of Lynch that is just more exciting to watch.

A couple of my friends and myself were talking about this the other day actually.
What would Lynch be capable of with Walt, Hutch, and Strong leading the way for him.

One can only dream...

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
And with one of their two first round picks the St. Louis Rams pick the best WR available.:sneaky:

Top Bottom