• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Comparing the SB season

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Clearly the Seahawks are a much better team at home than on the road. We outscore opponents by 19 points at home and only 6 points on the road.

In 2005 we had the same 11-2 record at this time. In week 14 we beat the 49ers at Qwest 41-3. The week prior was the historic shut out thrashing of the Eagles in Phili 42-0.

This year the playoffs are going thru Seattle and I'm confident we will reach the SB.

In 2005 I had absolutely no doubt we were the best team in the NFL. When it came down to the SB it seemed like we had it made. The Steelers stumbled into the playoffs, we out ranked them in every category before and during the game and still lost.

RW has proven his tenacity at winning but he has to be given the chance. There were a bunch of running plays during the SF loss where it looked like RW could have ran for huge gains instead of handing off the ball.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
The '05 losses, 2 were in begining of the season and on the road, the final 1 was to GB in a meaningless game that we played our BU's, because we had locked up the #1 seed. Hopefully that is the case this year as well.

49ers were not a rival then, the Rams were. I remember the steelers were the wild card, back dooring into the playoffs, but they were the hottest team in football and had I think the top defense.

Both playoff games in Qwest were competitive. The redskins was tough, I remember the biggest play was the Mack Strong long run for a first down that was a big turning point. The Panthers game we ran away with in the 4th, but that game was magical, I remember the big hit where Lofa Tatupu met the RB in the hole, both players went out of the game concussed, but Lofa came back in. Terry Bradshaw took the podium after and the confetti fell from the sky like rain.

Idahawk

Reaction score
The '05 losses, 2 were in begining of the season and on the road, the final 1 was to GB in a meaningless game that we played our BU's, because we had locked up the #1 seed. Hopefully that is the case this year as well.

49ers were not a rival then, the Rams were. I remember the steelers were the wild card, back dooring into the playoffs, but they were the hottest team in football and had I think the top defense.

Both playoff games in Qwest were competitive. The redskins was tough, I remember the biggest play was the Mack Strong long run for a first down that was a big turning point. The Panthers game we ran away with in the 4th, but that game was magical, I remember the big hit where Lofa Tatupu met the RB in the hole, both players went out of the game concussed, but Lofa came back in. Terry Bradshaw took the podium after and the confetti fell from the sky like rain.

Bradshaws famous " your not going to beat my Steelers " announcement during the Seahawks 1st ever NFC championship trophy celebration , I hope they don't let that fool in the stadium this year !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Reaction score
Bradshaws famous " your not going to beat my Steelers " announcement during the Seahawks 1st ever NFC championship trophy celebration , I hope they don't let that fool in the stadium this year !

Yeah that pissed me off! Douchebag move by Bradshaw!

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
I seem to remember the Steelers thrashing the 13-3 Broncos something like 38-14 in the AFC title game. Yeah they were rolling bigtime.
Disappointing how all that went down. I'll always believe on paper the Hawks were the better team that year and we got the raw end of it with the officiating a bit but unlike a lot of Seahawk fans I never hung the loss on that. I'll always look at the dropped passes and the three big plays they gave up as bigger factors in the loss. That and the fact that Shaun's tank seemed to be running dry.
Of all the bad calls, I only saw one as a potential game changer. The holding penalty in the 4th quarter when it was 13-10 that negated a first and goal situation at about the 4 yard line. That play would have put the Hawks up 17-13 with the momentum on their side at about the 6 minute mark.

That's why when people want to compare this team to the '05 team I'm gonna pick this team every time. Hard telling which team is better but I know this team would have beaten the '05 team in that particular Super Bowl game.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Of all the bad calls, I only saw one as a potential game changer. The holding penalty in the 4th quarter when it was 13-10 that negated a first and goal situation at about the 4 yard line. .

Uhh.. not that I want to revive that game, but there was the ticky tack BS push off call in the endzone.

TD - DJack - We win SB 40.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Uhh.. not that I want to revive that game, but there was the ticky tack BS push off call in the endzone.

Yeah I agree. But it was also a judgment call. The wrong one maybe but I've seen worse. That one as well as the Roethlisberger call at the goal line could have gone either way. The holding penalty on the other hand, that was just a straight up terrible call that might have cost the Hawks the game which is kinda why I put that one in a category of its own. The call was terrible and it came at a critical point in the game with the outcome hanging in the balance.

But Aikman summed it up perfectly late in the game when he said "if you don't want the refs to beat you, then win by 10." That hit it on the head. The Hawks should have won by 10 if they'd have brought their 'A' game to Detroit that day but they kinda played down a bit to the competition and opened themselves up to lose the game on a bad call. Seems to happen every time.

By the way, my cousin had money down on DJack scoring the first TD of the game and he lost $750 on the OPI. Talk about adding insult to injury huh?

But yeah, no need to revive it. I got fond memories of that '05 season but not so much the SB.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
And then four years later the ref comes out:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/06/four-years-later-bill-leavy-apologizes-to-seahawks/
I applaud him on that, kind of.

Big games come down to a final play a lot these days and one judgment call changes the out come of the game. I think the rules in the passing game have just become so complex, did he push off, was he held, did he catch the ball?

If they just let more of the hand fighting go and also "did have possession" bullshit go" too, like I mean when players hit the ground and your watching the replay to see if the nose of the ball 'moved' or 'grazed a blade of grass' or did he 'make a football move' I think over complicates it.

Did the receiver come up with the ball? Yes. Did he get mugged trying to make the catch? No. Did the WR shuck the defender to make the grab? No. I think we add a little basketball mentality at the point of reception and it would do away with some of those ticky tack calls.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Aikman summed it up perfectly late in the game when he said "if you don't want the refs to beat you, then win by 10."
I meant to say Madden. Pretty sure it was Madden who said that. He wasn't totally unapologetic about the officiating though. He was the one who also referred to the holding call on the play that would have put them inside the 5 as "baloney." He found fault in the officiating but I think he also found fault in the overall play of the Hawks too and that's kinda where my take is as well.

Idahawk

Reaction score
Officiating was one thing , the Venue and opponent was unfortunate . Of all shit hole cities to have your first Super Bowl in! no offense Mike P :) . The fact that is was so close for Stealer fans and the entire Bettis thing and all those towels it really made it a tough place to go into and win , compound that with Stevens shooting off his mouth and the refs ? Bad vibe , It had to be one of the most one side crowds ever, short of the Niners getting a Super Bowl at home way back when .

Hawks have a following now , even back east things won't ever be like that again. 12th man has money to travel and we will !

OP
sprhawk

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
That game makes me feel like I ate something bad.

Seattle outplayed and won every statistical battle including turnovers. In addition to penalties the refs did everything they could to keep the Hawks from getting into a rhythm. That game made me reconsider how much WWF was in the NFL.

It's lame that most challenged plays are overturned proving that refs get it wrong more often than right yet penalties can't be challenged.

Top Bottom