• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Do Pete Carroll and Co have a plan?

travisduncan

Huddler
Reaction score
CBK10092676_Chargers_at_Seahawks.jpg

ICON SPORTS MEDIA

--Good Afternoon, I'll be here every week to provide the latest news, views and more on Seahawks related as the lockout continues.

Once the lockout is lifted and players begin free association with the team again, and the Seahawks are able to make transactions, we'll have plenty to talk about and more to report.

A quick update on the lockout-there will be a hearing this Friday in an appeals court which the experts say is the most important moment thus far in the labor battle-a hearing which could determine when the NFL is back in business.
-----

Meanwhile, does Pete Carroll and Co have a plan at QB?

That plan might though be dependent on how long the lockout lasts.

35-year old Matt Hasselbeck could return for another season if he is re-signed. Or Charlie Whitehurst could get the job, still others wouldn't mind seeing Pete Carroll re-new with former SC and Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer, who at one time this offseason was adament he would retire if he was not traded.

Another potential target is Eagles quarterback Kevin Kolb, though ESPN's John Clayton and others says that's not likely to happen.

There has some talk about acquiring Denver's Kyle Orton as well-and of course Donovan McNabb gets the cursory mention as well.

A new quarterback without the benefit of a training camp or preseason is a scary proposition.

Depending on how long the work stoppage lasts, the dispute has the potential to hurt teams like the Seahawks which are in transition-or building so to speak rather than teams like Indianapolis, or Green Bay or others who have its core in place and have run the same system for several seasons.

With free-agency frozen-its hard to get an accurate gauge as to where the available free agents and potential trade candidates could wind up.

You might say the draft was a perfect opportunity to take care of that problem sooner than later.

The team elected to beef up the offensive line during the draft selecting o-linemen James Carpenter and John Moffit with picks 25 and 75 respectively. O-line is a spot where they need to replace three starters-and so they passed on any QB available at 25-which there weren't many by the time the Seahawks came up anyway.
While all these remain possibilities-it would seem Carroll and Co have a plan at QB-I think it will be the 2012 draft.

And when you talk 2012 QB's you obviously begin with Andrew Luck. Which the would have to trade up to select-but then again who would be willing to do that?

Others are Arizona QB Nick Foles, Michigan State quarterback Kirk Cousins and Oklahoma State's Brandon Weeden. All of which should get more mentions in terms of the NFL Draft once the college football season begins.

The Seahawks may not even being looking for a Luck type of guy-or at least aren't going to structure their personnel philosophy around getting a once-in-a-lifetime franchise QB.

Here is what Carroll said about the future at QB before the draft, "We’re always looking for a guy that can manage the offense, really."

"We’ve always said, even way back with Heisman Trophy winners, we were never structuring the offense to be carried by one guy. We always wanted to have a guy that would be very understanding of the system and of the people and the assets around him that could mix and move the football about."

"With that, we’ve always liked a quarterback that could move. We’ve always liked the ability to move because it fits with our running game and the style of complimentary throwing game that we like to match up with it. So the movement quarterback is – we don’t need to have a guy that’s a pure runner. We’re not talking about that."

“But a guy that has the ability to move and get out of the pocket and give us the variety of sets where we want to get that quarterback to slow down the pass rush and stuff. That’s always been part of it. That hasn’t always been what we’ve had but that’s always been something that we’ve looked for in the ideal."

Other News and Notes

Chester Pitts had someone interesting comments in a column by Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com

He said of Roger Goodell "I think he tends to be tone deaf. He doesn't understand players."

And of the NFL owners: "Their main strategy is to delay as long as they can and hope we run out of money. They have no real interest in negotiating right now no matter what they say publicly."

-Seahawks strength and conditiong coach Chris Carlise, who has been with Caroll since USC, had an intersting quote about what it takes to get NFL players in peek physical condition."

"I think our profession – and I’ll be shot at by other coaches – but I think it is 10 percent science and 90 percent art. I really do. And the art is figuring out how to make all these different personalities – how to get them to work at the highest level. And that’s a new thing.”

I'll be back next week with more, and hopefully there will be light at the end of this dark, dark, tunnel they call the NFL Lockout.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Didnt know Chester Pitts was such a fart smeller.
Wish he would shut up.

robdog

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Didnt know Chester Pitts was such a fart smeller.
Wish he would shut up.

Yeah Chester definitely had something he wanted to say and let it ride. Might not be the best timing for something like that considering the players are going to have to cave to the owners come next week...

Top Bottom