• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Earl Thomas - undersized... really?

Reaction score
Okay, everything I read about Earl Thomas, someone mentions that his one down side is that he is undersized.

He is listed at 5'10" 208lbs. Now, by no means is he a "big" guy, but compared to some elite safeties in the league he is the same size.. in some cases even bigger (by a couple lbs).

Few examples:

Ed Reed, 5'11" 200lbs
Troy Polamalu 5'10" 205lbs
OJ Atogwe 5'11" 205lbs
Jairus Byrd 5'10" 200lbs

There are more, but you get the picture.

What am I missing? Maybe they just needed something negative to say about him...

Please chime in.

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
I agree, he does look small compared to a long-haired Polamalu or beardy Ed Reed. But yeah I thought the same thing when we drafted. How many picks you guys think he gets this year?

sigpro

Huddler
Reaction score
I think because he is so fast and such a playmaker people think he's smaller than he is.

OP
#ONE
Reaction score
Yeah I think because he's leaner, not much body fat, he doesn't look as big as someone like Troy. Troy's muscles aren't as lean and he is built differently. He has a big base, big legs like a running back. So that makes him look bigger.

Anyways, I think Earl is going to be a monster safety, I don't like to make predictions, but I see 8 or 9 picks. 2 returned for TD's. Crazy how much improved our secondary is compared to one year ago. Upgraded Russel and Grant for Thomas and Chancellor.

Reaction score
I think the best part of our safety situation is we have "big play babs" to take Thomas under his wing and Milloy to take Chancellor under his.

Reaction score
bobflipaburger;48485 said:
I think the best part of our safety situation is we have "big play babs" to take Thomas under his wing and Milloy to take Chancellor under his.

its the other way around bob....

Milloy is showing Thomas the ropes and Babs has Chancellor under his wing....

according to seahawks.com.

Reaction score
EricOV;48486 said:
its the other way around bob....

Milloy is showing Thomas the ropes and Babs has Chancellor under his wing....

according to seahawks.com.

That seems ass backwards... Milloy is a bigger kind of more if a run support safety and babs is more of a play maker.

HawksFan51

Huddler
Reaction score
#ONE;48472 said:
Okay, everything I read about Earl Thomas, someone mentions that his one down side is that he is undersized.

He is listed at 5'10" 208lbs. Now, by no means is he a "big" guy, but compared to some elite safeties in the league he is the same size.. in some cases even bigger (by a couple lbs).

Few examples:

Ed Reed, 5'11" 200lbs
Troy Polamalu 5'10" 205lbs
OJ Atogwe 5'11" 205lbs
Jairus Byrd 5'10" 200lbs

There are more, but you get the picture.

What am I missing? Maybe they just needed something negative to say about him...

Please chime in.

Hey All, this is my first post here,,,

I think you have a good point in that Earl isn't small he's has average size for the Free Safety position... Earl is 'YOKED' for his size he looks like a He-Man action figure, The best comparison for me would be he looks like Bob Sanders with his body type....

OP
#ONE
Reaction score
Apparently he played strong safety... according to wikipedia.

Regardless, doubt either of the veteran safeties is favoring one of the rookies in terms of mentoring. I am sure both of the vets have advice for both the young guys.

UK_Seahawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Regarding the tutoring of the young guys, I don't think the Vets really try and give advice on like... how to play and stuff, there are highly paid coaches for that. I reckon their support is more talking about what the NFL is like and sorta helping them through the off-field side of the game. Therefore it doesn't matter if they play a slightly different position or play a different way, it's just about who they get along with.

Just my two-cents

Reaction score
I see Thomas out-performing Berry because he doesnt fall under the same stress as "A sure thing" or "Best safety in years". He will be a good safety. Period.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Thomas/Berry are on the smallish side but think about this... they will fill out too, Earl is only 21 yrs old! I think they look smaller in pads, need to see them next to other players on the field.

I predict 4 picks, which would be hudge for a rookie year.
Give wilson his 2-3 picks, Tatupu a couple, Tru 2-3, Babs 2, Curry 1, and what the hell give Cole 1 just for fun. Total : 16+

Thats some serious game changing!

OP
#ONE
Reaction score
14 of those picks will come against the Rams and the remaining games, opposing teams will throw 400 plus yards on us....

OP
#ONE
Reaction score
While I do think our secondary is improved after this draft (Thomas, Thurmond and Chancellor), and that Thomas will eventually get the hang of things and run pick drills out there. However, until we can generate a pass rush, the opposing QB will have all day to throw and even the best CB's and Safeties are going to get beat.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Yeah I think the pass rush will be the weakest component of the football team. Still PC will throw in alot of blitz packages, and I think he's going to rely on some of LB's to apply pressure (curry, hawthorne,) maybe some 3 - 4??

Yes our Secondary is much improved.

dizzle498

Huddler
Reaction score
Agreed here as well. D Line is our weak point, out linebackers are going to have to step up big time against the run. PC is a mastermind D coach though, I have all the confidence that he will figure something out.

Top Bottom