• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

ET in the slot?

Blabolat

Huddler
Reaction score
http://prod.www.seahawks.clubs.nfl.c...2-fc117a589e9f

Just putting it out here for all to see in case no one has.
Seems even ET knows one of our weakness's is the slot db.

I"m not saying I"m for this or not, but it does bring up some intriguing thoughts.

For one. Having ET, Sherman and Browner covering would shut down just about any passing game.
Put in Jerome Johnson at the FS to cover the backfield.. would be tempting.

This also puts ET close to the line of scrimmage allowing him to make plays such as The Pitts guy with the hair and the packers safety Woodson.

Like I said, its just a thought to contemplate upon, I know a lot of people won't want to take a allpro safety out, but I think he could do the job better than who we have and with that type of coverage, JJ doesn't have to do the hard stuff like ET had to do in the backfield.

Of course, this would only be in Nickle situations.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Im sure ET would be an amazing knickle, but I would never exchange FS for it.
Just as I would put your best tackle on the right side unless you have a lefty at QB.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
I will add though to your point, that ET being able to cover in slot or on the outside, is anice chess piece when it comes to disquising the defense... for instance, ET could crowd up and show blitz and then fan out into slot, or pick up the slot reciever in man and let the slot CB zone or blitz.

OP
B

Blabolat

Huddler
Reaction score
It is a lot easier to find a good safety than a good CB.
I wouldn't want this as a full time thing, but perhaps just on nickle downs and to change the pace a little.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Cool thing about Earl Thomas.....
I remember thinking two things about him when we drafted him:
a. he's small (but fast!)
b. he's young.

I think he was 21 when we drafted him. So he is 23 (same ages as RW) now but with 3 yrs exp in th league and 2 pro bowl appereances. Pretty f'in rad. I think he could get a little bigger and be one of the best FS of all times.

Reaction score
A stud free safety is more valuable than a stud Nickel Back.. Thurmond, Lane, and Maxwell are all capable corners.

Very rarely would I want to see him drop down and line up as a corner.

OP
B

Blabolat

Huddler
Reaction score
A stud free safety is more valuable than a stud Nickel Back.. Thurmond, Lane, and Maxwell are all capable corners.

Very rarely would I want to see him drop down and line up as a corner.

I didn't know that, in fact that corners typically make a lot more than safeties would make me believe quite the opposite in fact.

You didn't like what troy polamalu, or Woodson brought to the table when they played closer to the LOS?

Reaction score
I didn't know that, in fact that corners typically make a lot more than safeties would make me believe quite the opposite in fact.

You didn't like what troy polamalu, or Woodson brought to the table when they played closer to the LOS?

1. We're talking about nickel corners, they typically don't make very much.
2. Playing closer to the LOS is different than playing corner.
3. Woodson and Polamalu didn't start doing that regularly until they were established, "crafty" vets... ET does blitz sometimes, and he's pretty effective when he does. Chancellor is good at it too.

OP
B

Blabolat

Huddler
Reaction score
I did state in the original post that it would be only in a nickle situation..
We were continuedly burned from that position this past season, ET there, we would basically have 3 shut down CB's if in fact ET can actually play there.

Playing the slot, with ET's capabilities, we have a options that we might not normally have, switches, blitzes etc.

It is easier to find a good safety theen it is to find a good CB, why do you think Revis is going to ask for what $20.million?

It is hard for teams to find 1 good cornerback let alone 2, we have an unprecedented ability to have 3.. unheard of in the league.. ever, and I'm talking about shutdown CB's or as close as you can have.

Like I said, it would only be used when the nickle package is needed, otherwise ET is back playing safety.

Really, think about it. What does it mean if your opponent rarely if ever has an open receiver to throw to? You wouldn't need that Elite Safety back there, just a good safety would do.

Reaction score
He's too valuable playing Center Field... It seems like a lot of people are forgetting the huge plays we used to allow when Brian Russell and Deon Grant were here. Since we drafted ET, there have been VERY little explosive plays against us. I think we just need a more athletic nickel back, Trufant isn't what he used to be.

OP
B

Blabolat

Huddler
Reaction score
There is no doubt about ET ability in center. Of course he doesn't have Kelley Jennings or Josh Wilson at CB either.

I'm just saying, it is a lot easier to find a adequate CF (Guy Winston, JJ) then it is to find someone that can cover a Wesly Walker or any of those small speed guys inthe slot.

And what has been killing us on a regular basis is those 10 to 15 yard underneath passes.

Anyway, just my thought, but I'm sure PC will agree with you that ETshould stay in the backfield.. we will see.

Top Bottom