• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Flynn or Wilson ?

The Seahawks starting QB is ?

• Matt Flynn

Votes: 23 88.5%
  • Russell Wilson

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Tavaris jackson

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cmoney

Huddler
Reaction score
Well you make a good point there @ bobflipaburger.. I'd prefer not to switch QB's. Maybe not this year but I do like the way Wilson played in collage and I think he could be a top ten QB in the near future...

OP
Idahawk

Idahawk

Reaction score
If Wilson were to win the starting job, then I think Flynn would want to be dealt. If Flynn won the starting job then Wilson( who was over drafted IMO and therefore got paid way better then he probably thought he would) is probably good with waiting and learning behind Flynn. I still am of the belief that Flynn will start and Wilson with get some wildcat type plays. I am also not sold on a healthy TJ being worse then both Flynn and Wilson just yet.

TwilightError

Huddler
Reaction score
After seeing the first preseason game, I'm about to join the bandwagon who feel Wilson will be the long term franchise QB! I'm still hoping the very consistent Flynn to start this year but Wilson sure can flash that potential. The interception was moronic though..

TwilightError

Huddler
Reaction score
Its preseason man, don't put too much stock into what Wilson did against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Yeah I know. But its hard not to get excited when true potential appears, having watched Tarvaris and clipboard jesus the whole last season!

This was the first time I saw Wilson play and even if it was against 2nd and 3rd stringers, it sure looked good to me. I still dont think he is ready to start yet.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I didn't see the game (I opted to do a sunset climb up at Rainier and watch the meteor shower), but everything I read across the nation says Flynn was maybe above average, but Wilson impressed, regardless of what string they were playing against.

One thing I liked - Wilson put the game away - something Jackson never did.

Dane

Huddler
Reaction score
I think they both did well in general, but still have a bit of work to do. The mistakes they made seemed more like stupid inexperience tricks over any serious flaws, so we'll see what happens as time goes on.

Next week, I expect we'll see T-Jax start and Flynn and/or Wilson in the second half, assuming PC is having a genuine QB competition involving the 3. I don't exactly like the idea of seeing T-Jax play, but that's what QB competitions are in preseason.

HAWK

Huddler
Reaction score
Flynn was 11 for 13 and showed great command of the offense. He took what the defense gave him. For the only possession he had all his starting lineman he drove the team down the field and ate up around 7 minutes of the clock. That is the west coast offense at its best. And how about the play action pass to Zach Miller!? On the interception, Turbin did not take the play fake (according to Carroll) so the linebacker never came in. I thought Flynn did a great job considering he did not have Sidney Rice, Braylon Edwards (Wilson got him), Terrell Owens, Doug Baldwin, Kellen Winslow, or Marshawn Lynch. Pretty good against Tennessee's starters without all his best weapons.

With that said, Flynn didn't look good on the fumbled snap and as Carroll said, did hold the ball a little too long. This isn't Green Bay where he has a couple more seconds to throw the ball. Warren Moon called them coverage sacks (no one was open). However, I missed the Flynn from Green Bay who was scrambing and throwing the ball away (like Wilson did in the 2nd half).

Wilson did a great job against the 2nd and 3rd stringers of Tennessee. He showed great command of the offense, threw the ball accurately, and ran relentlessly. He had a little bit more aggressive play calling and Braylon Edwards to his advantage and made the most of the opportunity.

With that said, on Wilson's first pass he threw the ball right into the defensive back's arms and was lucky to not be intercepted. He didn't stay in the pocket much in order to throw the ball downfield (this was pointed out by Warren Moon). I think he will likely struggle in the pocket against the number ones in the NFL. And then of course, he threw that interception.

All in all, both quarterbacks show way more promise then Tarvaris Jackson and I think it is time to either cut Tarvaris or trade him. Either one of these guys is a more competitive option and has way more upside.

As far as the competition between Flynn and Wilson, the answer is obvious: Give Flynn the first chance. Allow him to get as many reps as possible. The first 8 games are going to be extremely tough, and as John Clayton said will define our season. Give the experienced guy the first crack at it and have Wilson ready as the back-up. He has shown that he is capable of being a good backup in this league and has more promise then Tarvaris.

Cmoney

Huddler
Reaction score
I've said it since before the draft, Wilson is gonna be a great QB, and after watching the game against Tenn. He backed up my words. True it was preseason, but he came out, ran the drills, moved the ball down the field, and scored a TD, It will be exciting to watch him grow into a starter..

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
I KNEW RW would gets some bandwagoneers once he played. He just has amazing athletic ablitity, arm strength and accuracy, and chrisma. I'll chalk the first bad PA pass to nerves, that should have been inercepted, but I believe he put alittle extra zip on that ball just in case it missed the mark, he's that good. Best throw of the day was roll out PA right, and he throws a dart across the his body to WR (Martin?). The final pick was just a rookie mistake, not even a mental mistake too, he read it right, had TE over the top, just needed to put that ball in the back of the Endzone.

Flynn ran the offense well, kept the chains moving, good tempo and delivered the ball accurately. The pick was on him mostly I think, he made a good read, just didnt fit the ball in past the LB who made a great play.

All in all, it was a very promising start. Id like to see both these guys go again next week, same order. Not sure what we are going to do with good ol' T Jack.

Cmoney

Huddler
Reaction score
Bandwagon??? Ive been a wilson fan since before the draft.. Out of all the Qb's available for our draft order he is the one I thought would be the best fit in Seattle..Cant wait to see how we handle Denver.. Most import how our defense handles Manning

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
and how about that RB from Utah state... he's gonna be a beast as well

I think Turbin is a much more complete RB than Lynch. I think Turbin has good vision, a couple of his runs reminded me a little of SA. Maybe we can see some pitch and rolls in Seattle again. However, I did expect him to power thru more players. He seemed to go down easier than expected.

Reaction score
He's a great backup and eventual replacement for Lynch, he's not better than Lynch though. Hopefully Lynch can teach him how to run angry... Because other teams wouldn't like him when he's angry.

HAWK

Huddler
Reaction score
If Wilson were to win the starting job, then I think Flynn would want to be dealt. If Flynn won the starting job then Wilson( who was over drafted IMO and therefore got paid way better then he probably thought he would) is probably good with waiting and learning behind Flynn. I still am of the belief that Flynn will start and Wilson with get some wildcat type plays. I am also not sold on a healthy TJ being worse then both Flynn and Wilson just yet.

If you're not sold on Flynn and Wilson being better then a healthy TJack after that preseason game, then I don't know what is going to do it for you. How about 84% completion percentage for Flynn? How about how quickly both got the ball out of their hands? How about Wilson's ability to scramble and throw on the run?

If we deal Flynn and put Wilson out there, we're making a huge mistake. Sure, Wilson looked good against the college all-stars last Saturday, but wait until he goes against Troy Polamulu, Ray Lewis, and Patrick Willis (or players of that caliber). Do you want to throw a rookie in against those guys when you have Flynn who has been groomed for this style of offense?

HAWK

Huddler
Reaction score
I KNEW RW would gets some bandwagoneers once he played. He just has amazing athletic ablitity, arm strength and accuracy, and chrisma. I'll chalk the first bad PA pass to nerves, that should have been inercepted, but I believe he put alittle extra zip on that ball just in case it missed the mark, he's that good. Best throw of the day was roll out PA right, and he throws a dart across the his body to WR (Martin?). The final pick was just a rookie mistake, not even a mental mistake too, he read it right, had TE over the top, just needed to put that ball in the back of the Endzone.

Flynn ran the offense well, kept the chains moving, good tempo and delivered the ball accurately. The pick was on him mostly I think, he made a good read, just didnt fit the ball in past the LB who made a great play.

All in all, it was a very promising start. Id like to see both these guys go again next week, same order. Not sure what we are going to do with good ol' T Jack.

What you do with TJack is cut him. A QB will likely get injured in the preseason. TJack will get a job on that team.

HAWK

Huddler
Reaction score
I've said it since before the draft, Wilson is gonna be a great QB, and after watching the game against Tenn. He backed up my words. True it was preseason, but he came out, ran the drills, moved the ball down the field, and scored a TD, It will be exciting to watch him grow into a starter..

He has Steve Young upside.

Top Bottom