• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Goodell writes to fans

Reaction score
You’ve got mail and it’s no joke. You’re not reading it wrong it’s truly from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. Goodell wrote a letter to millions of fans around the NFL World Monday. In the letter he talked about the growing popularity of the NFL, the potential re-format of a 16-game season to an 18-game season, a rookie cap and player safety.

He also assured the fans that with the current CBA set to expire in March and the threat of a lockout for the 2011 season to not worry- they will get a deal done.

Now I’ve always been a fan of Goodell and still am, but the talk of an 18-game season in my opinion is ridiculous. Supposedly the owners want the players to take a pay cut and Goodell said “The NFL is great because fans care deeply about it. Economic conditions, however, have changed dramatically inside and outside the NFL since 2006 when we negotiated the last CBA. A 10 percent unemployment rate hurts us all. Fans have limited budgets and rightly want the most for their money. I get it.”

The players deserve their share of money too and shouldn’t have that taken from them especially if they are increasing the amount of games.

The main reasons I’m against the addition of two-games to the regular season are:

-Player safety is a key for the NFL right now. Look at how they are protecting them so much with helmet-to-helmet hits and all those penalties. The average NFL “life” expectancy is 3.5-years. That’s from a 16-game season add two more games, while subtracting two pre-season games will only hurt the players bodies more. The majority of pre-season games are relaxation for veterans. Sure the fans may not like that, but it takes the stress off of the player’s bodies. It allows veterans to relax and teach the younger guys. A majority of pre-season games are the roster bubble guys giving it all for a spot and that’s what makes pre-season so great. Sure you occasionally see the Michael Vick injuries, but you see those during the regular season as well and now you want to add two-games.

-Every game matters in a 16-game season. We saw it Sunday night with Seattle and St. Louis. You will lose that if you add two-more games. What makes the NFL better than baseball and basketball in my opinion is the fact the season is shorter. It allows every game played to be that much more critical. Sure two-games won’t truly ruin it, but it won’t help it. It’ll make the season carry on longer and that’s what people say is wrong with sports like baseball and basketball “the season goes on too long.”

-Less play for the performers, while the owners cash in on the money from the fans. If players are upset over salaries now and contracts imagine how upset they will get when the pay goes down, but the amount of games increases. It’s like working overtime, but for free. Getting paid for 40-hours of work, but in reality you worked 45 or more. It’s not fair to them and without them the owners have no way of making a profit from fans. I know a lot of you are saying “well players are already overpaid.” Some can argue that, but we the fans put the money in their pockets. You own a jersey? You own Madden? The players thank you for that! You’re contributing to their pay. So if they’re overpaid stop buying the product! With the past salary-cap that money they signed the deal for wasn’t all there’s only the guaranteed and the money they earned.

To read the entire article:
Dear Fans

NFLLockout

Huddler
Reaction score
Hey Hawk -

Thanks for taking the time to write that response to the Commissioner's letter. I actually work with the NFLPA and wanted to inform you about nfllockout.com. It's a website where you can continue to voice your support for a 2011 NFL season by signing the petition against the NFL Lockout and share your opinions with fellow fans.

I also encourage you and others to hit up the NFL Lockout Facebook Page for the latest lockout related updates.

Good luck to your Seahawks this weekend!

Top Bottom