• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Is Pete Carroll a coach of the Year Candidate?

dizzle498

Huddler
Reaction score
While the coach of the year award normally goes to a team that is 13 - 3 or 12 - 4, I am going to throw it out there that I believe Pete Caroll should be considered to be coach of the year, especially through the first 6 games.

I am a realist about our team, and was not inspired by the roster at the start of the season, but honestly, what Pete has been able to do, in the draft, and through the first 6 games, he has really knocked it out of the park. We are in prime position to win the NFC West and if we keep playing like we are right now will win at least 10 games.

Coach of the year should not be limited to the best team in the NFL, I think Pete should absolutely be considered.

Olyspud

Huddler
Reaction score
Too early to tell, but he's on the right track. I really enjoy the enthusiasm he shows, and how it seems to lift the players.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
I would have never guessed in a million years that we would win against the 49ers, Chargers, and Bears to the this point.

IMO, he is the coach of the year, with Singletary being a close runner up....:thumbsup:

Seriously, Pete has been a pleasant suprise, has anyone here read his book? I am half way through it, pretty inspirational, easy, read.

Reaction score
He's definitely a candidate for Coach of the Year, but Steve Spagnuolo and Todd Haley are good candidates as well.

robdog

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Definitely is to early to tell, but he is doing a good job his first year BACK into the NFL. Seahawks still have a good chance at winning the division and that is not small task for any head coach.

Reaction score
Looking at the schedule the game in New Orleans is the only game I can't see us winning. Every other game is winnable. We're set up to make a pretty nice run right now if we can keep playing well on the road.

OP
dizzle498

dizzle498

Huddler
Reaction score
szat;51051 said:
I would have never guessed in a million years that we would win against the 49ers, Chargers, and Bears to the this point.

IMO, he is the coach of the year, with Singletary being a close runner up....:thumbsup:

Seriously, Pete has been a pleasant suprise, has anyone here read his book? I am half way through it, pretty inspirational, easy, read.

That is exactly my point. If this were a Holmgren led team we would have lost those games. Maybe based on personel decisions alone. Pete has done a wonderful job.

As far as Mike Singletary is concerned, he is always the coach of the year in my mind. Anyone that would have the balls to start Alex Smith gets my vote.

I can just imagine Singletary in camp selling A Smith the the other coaches and the owners..."I know we paid him $60 million and he basically robbed us of that money, but he is different now! He has changed, he is better, lets resign him and he will lead us to the playoffs...Who's with me?!?." Good stuff right there.

Reaction score
dizzle498;51066 said:
That is exactly my point. If this were a Holmgren led team we would have lost those games.

I don't know if I'd go that far... Holmgren did some amazing things for this team and city. The person that put this team in the recent gutter through personnel decisions was tim 'foreskin' ruskell.

What is impressive to me was just how much control Allen gave Pete and John... when they first got hired, I was stoked, but a bit reserved about just how much of that "complete control" they'd really have.

Releasing Housh, Trading Branch, and all the other 100+ personnel changes have me convinced that they are in complete control. The players have bought in, the veterans, the young guys, the coaches... this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Very excited for next week!! Going to be a huge game, Cards have one of the worst run defenses (like 30th) and Marshawn and Justin should have a good day!

Donn2390

Huddler
Reaction score
The reason Pete failed in his first NFL attempt, is the same reason it took him so long to return. He needed a place where he could be in complete control.
He didn't have it the first time around, so he failed. He waited for the perfect offer to come along, and he took the job with the power, and he is showing his stuff..
No team can win if the owner is coaching... See Dallas and Oakland...

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
According to his book, Pete's first couple of HC jobs in the NFL he was let go because, a.) he didnt have complete grasp and confidence of his own philosophy, b.) He didnt get ownership or other coaches to "buy in".

His philosophy is one of positive reinforcement and the power and will of the human mind to create "the zone" and have a competative envirorment for all endevours. Its the opposite of a parcells or cowher or singletary approach, which is not a bad thing, just different.

It is truely amazing what he is doing, coupled with great football knowledge and an eye for talent so far you cant not like what you see.

:band:

Bru-Hed

Huddler
Reaction score
He's doing well and I like him so far. But for coach of the year? That's like saying a movie released in February is a shoe-in for the Oscar. Lots of time left. Let's not jinx it! :slow_en:

OP
dizzle498

dizzle498

Huddler
Reaction score
Trying not to, just want to bring up the possibility. This team is WAY better than I thought it would be. I am stoked! :man_in_love:

twisted

Huddler
Reaction score
maybe Shanahan is on that list too? I am liking the Skins so far... 4-3 but looking good last 2 games

:pilot: on another note the Ravens are 5-2 with Zorn as their new QB coach... :man_in_love:

OP
dizzle498

dizzle498

Huddler
Reaction score
I think the 2 weeks before this are really going to hurt Pete. We would need to win 6 or our last 9, at least, for him to be considered.

Raheem Moore from the Tampa Bay Bucc's has to be the front runner right now. The Bucc's were far more putrid last year. That combined with the fact that they haven't been blown out twice this season is going to make it tough on Pete.

If you ask me though, Pete is the COY, I am a Hawks homer though. :emoticon-0157-sun:

Reaction score
Earl Thomas needs to start bringing down some picks and he needs to take a couple to the house because Suh is probably the leaading candidate for DROTY.

Reaction score
bobflipaburger;51747 said:
Earl Thomas needs to start bringing down some picks and he needs to take a couple to the house because Suh is probably the leaading candidate for DROTY.

I agree with you man... he's had way too many oppurtunities for sure picks!! At least 20 this year! He needs to come down with half of those. He had 2 maybe 3 easy ones in the AZ game.

I did like how he was lighting receivers up... he is so damn quick to the ball!! I love it! We knew he was a ball hawk, but I like seeing that Troy Polamalu "hit em hard" attitude.

This kid is going to be a top 2 or 3 FS in the league in a year or two!!

As far as PC goes, I think getting your team straight and prepared to win on the road like we did was a good coaching job after being blown out like we had been the last 2 weeks. This team last year would have been in a downward spiral with Jimmy at the helm.

Top Bottom