• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Day Thread: Seahawks @ Panthers

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
Hey guys, first game of the seasons if FINALLY here. Feels like it's been forever. I think we're in for a big day from Russ. Carolina's suspect secondary should give up some big plays. Establishing the run should always be a priority but Jon Beason and Luke Kuechly could cause some headaches. Go Hawks!

robdog

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This is a rough game what is going on with the offense?

But at least the defense is doing well.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Wow, glad we got a win. Carolina won the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, a cause for concern. But the one huge positive is that the Hawks showed they can lose the trench war and still get a W. Now they gotta clean it up on the lines going forward, get that running game going and they should be ok.

Dane

Huddler
Reaction score
It was a rough one, but we got the win. Here's what I took from the game:

Positives:
- Russel Wilson went 25 for 33 for 320 yards and 1 TD. Really solid performance for the 1st game of the season and being on road in the dreaded Eastern Time Zone.
- Defense got 2 turn overs and held Carolina to 7 points. Very well done overall.
- Another late game surge. I'm beginning to think this is just another part of our team's identity.
- Jermaine Kearse getting his first official touchdown in the regular season.
- Watching Breno Giacomini get slugged by a Carolina player (Frank Alexander), and being smart enough to NOT retaliate and letting things take their course.

Negatives:
- Penalties. There were a couple of suspect ones that went against us, but we’re still making some boneheaded ones that need to be fixed.
- James Carpenter sucking wind. He really looked out of shape out there.
- Marshawn Lynch only averaging 2.5 yards a carry. I think this has more to do with our O-Line and Carolina having a really good run defense, but the bottom line is the run game still needs work.
- Only 12 points. Our offense is better than that, but it’s only the first game and they did better than most people expected.

OP
#ONE
Reaction score
Championship teams win these type of ugly games. You're going to have one from time to time. Just think back to 2005 when we lost to Jax opening weekend. East coast, hot as fuck, and that team still went to the SB. Winning this one is going to be huge I think.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
I was kinda thinking along those lines too. But hopefully that O-line has some upside because Wilson was dodging sacks and getting flushed, hit, hurried and harassed all game long. Gotta give credit to Carolina's front seven for sure but the Hawks will be facing other teams who are just as good, like the Niners. Wilson came out all aces today while under fire which was great to see and showed he's far more than a gravy-trainer QB that can only get it done with a good running game. And that one catch by Baldwin that was red-flagged? That was one heck of a play. The amount of field left uncovered by Carolina's D on that play was about the size of a phone booth and Baldwin found it, as did Wilson.

If it's gonna be white knuckle survival mode for a little while until everyone gets back and healthy, I can live with it, no matter how ugly it gets at times. As long as they get the W.

Well done, Hawks!!

Blabolat

Huddler
Reaction score
Recievers were awesome with some incredible catches and that we won.. well thank you.

Reaction score
It was a rough one, but we got the win. Here's what I took from the game:

Positives:
- Russel Wilson went 25 for 33 for 320 yards and 1 TD. Really solid performance for the 1st game of the season and being on road in the dreaded Eastern Time Zone.
- Defense got 2 turn overs and held Carolina to 7 points. Very well done overall.
- Another late game surge. I'm beginning to think this is just another part of our team's identity.
- Jermaine Kearse getting his first official touchdown in the regular season.
- Watching Breno Giacomini get slugged by a Carolina player (Frank Alexander), and being smart enough to NOT retaliate and letting things take their course.

Negatives:
- Penalties. There were a couple of suspect ones that went against us, but we’re still making some boneheaded ones that need to be fixed.
- James Carpenter sucking wind. He really looked out of shape out there.
- Marshawn Lynch only averaging 2.5 yards a carry. I think this has more to do with our O-Line and Carolina having a really good run defense, but the bottom line is the run game still needs work.
- Only 12 points. Our offense is better than that, but it’s only the first game and they did better than most people expected.

It was the first game of the season, some guys are going to get tired. Especially in the heat and humidity.

Idahawk

Reaction score
That was the kind of game I expected , Carolina had a long time to game plan for this one and they did a great job , clearly they wanted to take away the run game and make Wilson beat them , well he did and that's a huge positive IMO take what they give you .

I can't stand Scam Newton ,that 1st down pose where he's looking up at himself on the big screen sums up what he's all about , himself.

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
I think another thing to be mentioned was how great Star Lotulelei played. Dude was nothing but a run stuffing machine all game long. If he continues to play at a level like that, dude's got a future. The running game suffered but I think Carolina's defense came prepared. It was definitely an ugly win but i'll take it.

robdog

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Ugly win, but a win is a win. Did anyone see the graphic of the 5-6 games the Hawks have to travel to the east coast? Brutal...

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Ok, I'll give credit for east coast heat and early game time but it is still the Panthers. We were lucky to get out of there with a W.

What the hell was with RW? 5 runs for 7 yards??? When did he become Mr. Pocket Passer dropping back for a 13 yard loss and a fumble? He is awesome when he scrambles and throws on the run. Cam had more rushing yards. Best pass came when he rolled out to his right and hit Kearse.

We've got SF coming to town and frankly a performance like that isn't going to cut it. So much for our power ranking.

I think Lynch is missing MikeRob in a big way and Carp had better get it together.

After this game I can see your point Rob. We may want to reconsider those early road games. Houston, Indy, Atlanta and the Giants are all 10:00 am start times and better teams than the Panthers.

Last edited:

Idahawk

Reaction score
It's not like the match up last season was a barn burner 16-14 so I'm not putting anything in to it other than a tough defensive struggle .

I don't see a chance that hawks come out flat for the Sunday night game , way to much at stake even this early in the season for that.

Reaction score
Carolina was a more talented team than their record indicated last year, and they're even better this year. That team is on the upswing. I wouldn't be shocked if they were hanging around in that division come season's end.

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
What happened to the o-line? They really stunk up the place. That was the worst performance I have seen them have. RW and the defence won this game. Did they miss Rob in the running game that much? The Hawks could have had two more touchdowns. One where they lost the ball in the red zone and the other at the end of the game. The y would have made the game allot more respectable. I'm sure PC will be looking at the o-line game film and I wouldn't be suprised to see a change or two. The d-line should improve when the injured players return and establish a better pass rush. A win is a win, I'm happy with the outcome.

Reaction score
What happened to the o-line? They really stunk up the place. That was the worst performance I have seen them have. RW and the defence won this game. Did they miss Rob in the running game that much? The Hawks could have had two more touchdowns. One where they lost the ball in the red zone and the other at the end of the game. The y would have made the game allot more respectable. I'm sure PC will be looking at the o-line game film and I wouldn't be suprised to see a change or two. The d-line should improve when the injured players return and establish a better pass rush. A win is a win, I'm happy with the outcome.

Carolina's front seven is REALLY good dude. Every bit as talented as San Francisco's front seven. Not as polished, but they're capable of playing at that same level.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
What the hell was with RW? 5 runs for 7 yards??? When did he become Mr. Pocket Passer dropping back for a 13 yard loss and a fumble?
The Carolina front seven might have had something to do with that. Their front seven is GOOD, maybe one of the best in the NFL imho. If they continue to play like that throughout the season, Carolina's going to have a pretty good year. They won 5 out of their last 6 last year so they might be a team on the rise. No way to know for sure but I think many teams probably would have lost that game if it had been them instead of the Hawks.

As for Wilson, he's not gonna try to become strictly a pocket passer but last year he was statistically better throwing from inside the pocket than from outside. The Hawks tried to get Wilson out of the pocket off the snap, via bootleg or whatever, early in the 2nd half but Carolina was ready and they thwarted it. Teams are gonna try and keep Wilson in the pocket with nowhere to run this year but the only way they will succeed is if they have their way with the Hawks' O-line and Carolina did. So if anything, that's on the O-line. They have to do a much better job. On the bright side, considering the opponent and the conditions, 10am start, first game of the season, the game temp, etc, the O-line probably won't be facing a more difficult task the rest of the season.

Reaction score
Maybe the Hawks should start thinking about adding a couple more o-lineman in next years draft.

They added a couple rookies this year. I think Bowie, Bailey, and whoever else they bring in will be competing for Breno's vacated spot after he becomes a FA this offseason. I really hope Carp starts to figure it out this year. If not, he'll definitely have some competition next year too.

Top Bottom