• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Overtime Rules

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I think all overtime solutions have pros and cons. Here is one that was submitted to John Clayton's mailbag from a guy in Bothell. I like it. A lot. What are your thoughts?

David from Bothell said:
The NFL's overtime rules seem to be unpopular. A possible solution to the overtime issue would be to have the pregame coin flip also count for the overtime period. Though some will still complain, at least the luck factor associated with the coin flip is avoided. A team trailing by one, knowing it will not get the ball back in overtime, could then go for the two-point conversion. If that occurs -- success or failure -- overtime is avoided.

Reaction score
Number 18 said:
I think all overtime solutions have pros and cons. Here is one that was submitted to John Clayton's mailbag from a guy in Bothell. I like it. A lot. What are your thoughts?

[quote="David from Bothell":goiqk5l1] The NFL's overtime rules seem to be unpopular. A possible solution to the overtime issue would be to have the pregame coin flip also count for the overtime period. Though some will still complain, at least the luck factor associated with the coin flip is avoided. A team trailing by one, knowing it will not get the ball back in overtime, could then go for the two-point conversion. If that occurs -- success or failure -- overtime is avoided.
[/quote:goiqk5l1]
I don't think teams would go for the two-point conversion to end the game. They would take their chances with overtime. The first team to get the ball doesn't always win. A reminder would be that game against the Packers when Hasselbeck threw the pick and the Packers won.

I just don't see them throwing in the towel because they don't want to go to OT and rely on their defensive to make the stop or score. I guess if you really felt like gambling it wouldn't be bad. Then you would also have to consider how much it would affect the coin toss at the beginning of the game. Teams would always want to receive just in case they do go into OT.

It would probably ruin the whole idea of waiting until the 2nd half to receive the ball instead of just receiving it at the beginning of the game.

I personally love the rules in College and they should use the same system in the NFL or at least one that is a lot more fair. Maybe have both teams start on the 20 and whoever scores first wins. You would remove the kickoff (and possible injuries from Special Teams) and whoever wins the toss would get the ball on their own 20. Then, it's up to the defensive to make a stand and if they do they give their team the ball and they start out on their own 20. It would keep going until a team scores and wins the game.

Reaction score
phaZe said:
Number 18 said:

[quote="David from Bothell":nwem2s26] The NFL's overtime rules seem to be unpopular. A possible solution to the overtime issue would be to have the pregame coin flip also count for the overtime period. Though some will still complain, at least the luck factor associated with the coin flip is avoided. A team trailing by one, knowing it will not get the ball back in overtime, could then go for the two-point conversion. If that occurs -- success or failure -- overtime is avoided.
I don't think teams would go for the two-point conversion to end the game. They would take their chances with overtime. The first team to get the ball doesn't always win. A reminder would be that game against the Packers when Hasselbeck threw the pick and the Packers won.

I just don't see them throwing in the towel because they don't want to go to OT and rely on their defensive to make the stop or score. I guess if you really felt like gambling it wouldn't be bad. Then you would also have to consider how much it would affect the coin toss at the beginning of the game. Teams would always want to receive just in case they do go into OT.

It would probably ruin the whole idea of waiting until the 2nd half to receive the ball instead of just receiving it at the beginning of the game.

I personally love the rules in College and they should use the same system in the NFL or at least one that is a lot more fair. Maybe have both teams start on the 20 and whoever scores first wins. You would remove the kickoff (and possible injuries from Special Teams) and whoever wins the toss would get the ball on their own 20. Then, it's up to the defensive to make a stand and if they do they give their team the ball and they start out on their own 20. It would keep going until a team scores and wins the game.[/quote:nwem2s26]

In that system, would field goals count? because that is almost a sure score

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
phaZe said:

I personally love the rules in College and they should use the same system in the NFL or at least one that is a lot more fair. Maybe have both teams start on the 20 and whoever scores first wins. You would remove the kickoff (and possible injuries from Special Teams) and whoever wins the toss would get the ball on their own 20. Then, it's up to the defensive to make a stand and if they do they give their team the ball and they start out on their own 20. It would keep going until a team scores and wins the game.

I do not think it ruins anything. It purely gives more information to formulate game strategy on. The team does not HAVE to go for 2 in the example provided.

There is no way college rules would ever pass in the NFL. First, as adam says, field goals would be almost a sure score. You might as well just place the kickers out there and the first to miss costs his team the game. Field goals would have to be banned from overtime. Second, that could add a ton of playing time to a season already frought with injuries. While we as fans may not view it that way, I bet the NFLPA would.

Reaction score
I meant they start out like it was a touchback, but like you said, it probably wouldn't work out.

I just want them to fix the OT Rules and make them a bit more interesting. :cool:

Top Bottom