• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Russell to start game 3

Reaction score
If there was some way of knowing that Russell could duplicate what he did vs TEN and DEN every game during the regular season, then I'm ALL IN!! I'm just concerned. Guesss I need to just trust in ComPete and let things play out. He just hasn't been stellar with QBs up until now.....

Idahawk

Reaction score
Wilson is what Flynn wishes he could be!

Wilson is the real deal boys ! Book it. He will take his lumps but this kid can ball and will carry the hawks on his back.

Last time I checked neither QB has played a full a season, so Ill take the guy that wants the job and " wants to be great " which is what Wilson said and what I see on the field .

Flynn and Kolb can go count their coin and laugh all the way to the bank ! It happens .

twelvewins

Huddler
Reaction score
If he is our week 1 starter I'm afraid it says more about us being foolish in signing Flynn than wise in drafting Wilson. We all hope he's lightning in a bottle, but there has to be a reason why all 32 teams passed this guy up, several times. What I would say is he has been up and down. Rdub got help from defense and the running game, in additional to playing some guys who will be working at Hertz next month. He also threw a horrendous pick in the endzone.

P.C. has been a little low on my scoring of late. I didn't like the TO move, I don't like messing with Flynn, and I think we owe Tjack an apology. If this is how his philosopher is going to be, than I guess we should get prepared for this every year. It just seems like the competition isn't open at all positions (rb, ol) like it is at qb.

TwilightError

Huddler
Reaction score
I just love this situation! Every time I find myself going through the dilemma between Flynn and Wilson, I think of last season and the hopeless situation with Tarvaris and Whitehurst to choose from...

Being an eager fan, I look forward to seeing Wilson against the first team defense. He is a marvel to look at! But if I was Pete Carroll, I´d waste no time in naming Matt Flynn the starter in week 1. It just seems that everyone would benefit from that. Learning behind Flynn for at least one year would be a great opportunity for Wilson and Flynn just seems to be waiting for the nod from front office. "You are our guy, we trust you". Without that, I dont think he will ever fulfill his potential.

I dont mind which one of these two will be the long term face of the franchise. They both have the potential to be that and maybe they really can push each other with competition. I just think for now Carroll has to make a decision and stick with it. That´s what good leadership is.

Another thing to consider, I really don't expect Flynn will feel like sticking around if Wilson is named the starter.

This is a concern, but he has little choice since he is under contract. Gotta feel for the guy if he ends up in the bench behind a rookie, having spent the last four years behind the machine that is Aaron Rodgers... I hope he gets his chance, he deserves it.

OP
szat

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
foolish in signing Flynn than wise in drafting Wilson.

Sounds like your not sold that Flynn can be the starter. I think both of these guys can start, it just who wins the job.

If Flynn is our B.U., then I expect him to prepare every week and act like a professional and suck it up (plus he's getting paid!) and be ready to take the field at a moments notice. He signed up to a competition, and if RW (Rdub hehe) beats him outright, he cant say he wasnt given a shot. This has been MORE than a fair competition, just as advertised.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I like it if for only one reason: it backs up the mantra that PC spews. The highest paid, or the highest drafted, is not guaranteed to play. So I think it is good in showing that you had better give it everything all the time or the guy that wants your job could very easily take it. And if your all is not better than his, well, then that is good for team.

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
As fans we've waited almost a decade for an answer to replacing the best QB Seattle has ever known. Flynn comes from the same system as Hass and even his experience is similar to where Hass was when he joined the Hawks. Hell I'd venture to say he even looks better than Hass did at this point.

Now we have PC playing games. I agree with his competion stance up to a certain point. Most coaches would have named Flynn the starter, noted the the potential of Wilson for the future and been content. I pretty much figured a decision had been made with Flynn by signing him to a $10 million deal.

Flynn is a valuable commodity. PC signed Flynn to a $2 million base salary with a $6 million signing bonus, plus another $2 million in first-year incentives. Normally a team wouldn't do that unless they were convinced.

We have all seen what Flynn is capable of and I was totally ready to watch him develop into a QB that could challege Hasselbecks all time record setting stats.

Just like the article says, PC has been all about supporting Wilson. Wilson was obviously PC's idea to draft and therefor his project. I think Wilson has done a good job out there but I've seen a lot of rookies do good in the preseason. Flynn is the more complete QB and doesn't have to scramble for his life on every play.

This is going to have a huge impact on the Seahawks future. Clearly PC doesn't know the 12th man very well. It doesn't even matter who he starts anymore. He's made it so that he'll get to know them when things start to go bad either way.

Good coaches think of the fans when they make decisions.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Good coaches think about winning when they make decisions. Not the fans. Winning is what fans want. By focusing on winning, a coach necessarily takes care of the latter.

Reaction score
I guess I would feel better about all this if Pete had a better track record with QBs. Not only has he shown that he doesn’t know how to pick the right guy, historically, even established QBs seemed to have a decline after PC arrived.

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
A good coach would have avoided all this controversy by naming Flynn the starter shortly after signing him for 10mil. That would give him and the team confidence and the time to prepare for the season. They would take note of the potential of Wilson for the future and move on. This QB competition is just another set back.

The third preseason game is typically the most important, in which a team's starters play into the third quarter.

OP
szat

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
I guess I would feel better about all this if Pete had a better track record with QBs. Not only has he shown that he doesn’t know how to pick the right guy, historically, even established QBs seemed to have a decline after PC arrived.

Yeah, I am alittle uncomfortable with the whole situ because PC has not been stellar with QB's decisions. But at least we dont have Killer Kolb, damn what a mess that is!

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
I don't what there is to complain about, we should be overjoyed to habe 2 possible talented QBs in a league that is QB deficcient. Yeah, Flynn loses playing time if he is named starter but Week 1 is against a horrible AZ squad. I have faith that PC knows what he's doing. And if Russell does succeed with the first team D on the field, play him, why not? He's smart, got the arm, he can roll out, and he can clearly thrown over the linemen lol. Give him a chance if he plays well.

Reaction score
AZ defense isn't horrible. Not even close. They have a solid front 7. And even with shitty QB they can still get a 10 catch 130yard game out of Fitz any week. Plus, Peterson can always take one to the house on punt returns. I want our QB to be as prepared as possible.

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
I don't what there is to complain about, we should be overjoyed to habe 2 possible talented QBs in a league that is QB deficcient. Yeah, Flynn loses playing time if he is named starter but Week 1 is against a horrible AZ squad. I have faith that PC knows what he's doing. And if Russell does succeed with the first team D on the field, play him, why not? He's smart, got the arm, he can roll out, and he can clearly thrown over the linemen lol. Give him a chance if he plays well.

I think your faith in PC might be unfounded. Going with Wilson is a gamble. Flynn is a sure thing, at least for now. If this was horses I'd be betting on Flynn.

Like I said, I'm torn because after watching last weeks game I really want to see Wilson start. But if he struggles, and I expect he will, this whole exercise will just be a setback. If we get off to a bad start it could be a long season.

I've pretty much written the season off to growth anyway so I'm not going to be upset no matter how we do but it is always nice to flirt with the idea that we could have a chance at a dance this year.

I just think PC could have done a better job of giving us that chance this season.

Dave Sanchez

Huddler
Reaction score
Its pretty obvious who the starter should be. Everyone wanted to see how RW could do against a first string defense on the road to boot. Can't wait to see him on the field opening day when he has all his weapons at his disposal.

squirreljack

Huddler
Reaction score
I love all the exposure we are getting nationally because of RW. Even freakin' ESPN is on it!

When we drafted him, I thought he looked like our best pick... but i didn't expect him to do this well this quick.

His ball fakes are the best I've ever seen, and I totally agree about how he "flicks" the ball and it goes 60 yards. Crazy!

Russell Wilson man crush here and not afraid to admit it!

Reaction score
I love all the exposure we are getting nationally because of RW. Even freakin' ESPN is on it!

When we drafted him, I thought he looked like our best pick... but i didn't expect him to do this well this quick.

His ball fakes are the best I've ever seen, and I totally agree about how he "flicks" the ball and it goes 60 yards. Crazy!

Russell Wilson man crush here and not afraid to admit it!
I agree too. He made that long pass to Edwards for a TD look easy.

chharith

Huddler
Reaction score
YEP.. I'm excited to see what he can do against the starters.. I've been watching Wilson for years now, and was really excited when we drafted him.. I've seen what he is able to do on the field.. and now he gets his shot... GO HAWKS !!!!
Number don't lie, you have a good eye for rookie talent.

Top Bottom