• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Seahawks Post Game: Seattle 24, San Diego 17

travisduncan

Huddler
Reaction score
newthumb.PNG

Seahawks Running back Thomas Clayton celebrates after
scoring a 25-yard touchdown.

Tarvaris Jackson told ESPN sideline reporter Suzy Kolber that "he had to run around a lot" during his brief appearance in Thursday night's preseason opener.

His mobility was the the good, his accuracy and timing was the bad. Jackson played OK given he had just a week of practice to prepare for the game.

Playing just the first quarter, Jackson finished with 3 of 5 passing completions for 13 yards total.

But his performance, brief as it was, will do nothing to stop questions will continue about his ability to be a starting, and winning quarterback in the National Football League.

About Charlie Whitehurst.

Whitehurst again showed he has quite a bit of ability as a pocket passer.

Whitehurst led the Seahawks on a scoring drive, a 9-play 72 yard drive with spanned 5 minutes and 13 seconds, capped off with Leon Washington scoring a TD from one yard out.

Whitehurst finished with 115 yards passing on 14 of 20 pass completions.

Third-team QB Josh Portis, who has looked great during practice up to this point, looked exactly like what you would expect an undrafted rookie free agent out of a Division-III school would play like in his first NFL game. Once he got a few reps in he did settle in and made a nice instinctive play to scramble out of the pocket and throw across his body to hit tight end Anthony McCoy for a 6-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter.

-Left tackle Russell Okung was carted off with another left ankle injury. Okung underwent an X-ray scan for a fracture which came back negative.

Pete Carroll said Okung "heard something pop". That alone and the fact a cart was used would indicate it's serious. It's the same injury which bothered him during his rookie season.

But Carroll said after the game, the team at this point, the team was not expecting Okung to be out, and he could be back "very quickly".

-Rookie Doug Baldwin, a wide receiver who went undrafted out of Stanford and is competing for a spot on the 53-man roster, had a nice evening catching four passes for 29 yards, including Jackson's first completion of the game a seven yard pass through the middle.

Another rookie, K.J. Wright, a linebacker out of Mississippi State, led the team with seven tackles and one assisted tackle.

-Play of the Game: The Zone Stretch Play resulting in a 25-yard touchdown run for third-year running back Thomas Clayton in the 4th quarter.

It was a perfectly executed play both for the offensive line and by Clayton who made a beautiful cutback and found a hole and ran 25-yards for 6. You can watch the play here.

Clayton led the Seahawks in rushing on the night with 16 carries and 62 yards.

-Special teams can be a killer. Tonight's crucial ST's error was just a preseason play, Bryan Walters'103-yard kickoff return, which was covered by many guys who won't be on the final roster anyhow and some of which didn't help there cause with the blown coverage.

-Before Thursday's game the Seahawks added defensive tackles Ladi Ajiboye and Teryl White to their roster and released safety Brett Johnson and linebacker Michael Johnson.

-16 Seahawks players did not play in the game, including Mike Williams, Sidney Rice, Deon Butler, Ben Obomanu, Kris Durham, Cameron Morrah, Caz Piurowski, Walter Thurmond, Roy Lewis, Chris Clemons, Red Bryant, Dexter Davis, Colin Cole, Jay Alford, Kentwan Balmer and Ryan Sims.

-Per Scott Enyeart on Twitter, "Pete Carroll hasn't lost a preseason or regular season opener this century. At both levels. 9-0 at USC. 3-0 in Seattle."

Stay tuned we'll have post game comments from Carroll and the players up soon.

PacWest

Huddler
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about Tarvaris saying he "had" to run around alot. This is one of his best assets, and maybe I'm wrong, but that came across to me that he was complaining that he was disappointed that he "had" to do that. I thought when he did run he was successful and rather elusive on a few plays.

I was impressed with Charlie and his pump fakes and his composure knowing he is once again competing for the starting position. I also liked seeing Josh Portis in action for the first time and I was impressed by the way he scrambled and then threw the TD as well as the way he shook off the jitters and settled in.

Overall I'm happy with what I see early on, and I'm glad we are building our team for the future.

robdog

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah was he considering his running a negative? He is going to have to perfect that to buy him some more time and make something out of nothing at times.

S

Seattlehawk94

"Whitehurst again showed he has quite a bit of ability as a pocket passer."

AGAIN? LOL....Chuckles never showed it period so to do it "AGAIN" would mean he's done it before....

Top Bottom