• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Seahawks reach deal with DL Michael Bennett

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
Reports: Seahawks reach deal with DL Michael Bennett

By Brady Henderson

Hours after the Seahawks announced their two-year deal with Cliff Avril, the team has reportedly reached an agreement with another free-agent pass rusher.
According to ProFootballTalk.com, the Seahawks and defensive end Michael Bennett have agreed to a one-year, $5 million deal. ESPN and the NFL Network have also reported the agreement.
Bennett, 27, had a career-high nine sacks last season for the Buccaneers. He had six sacks over the previous three seasons with Tampa Bay. Bennett actually started his career with the Seahawks in 2009 as an undrafted free agent out of Texas A&M. He was waived that season.
Bennett is listed as a defensive end, but at 6-foot-4 and 274 pounds he could project as an interior pass-rusher as well.
The Seahawks have now made two significant moves to address their pass rush, perhaps the team's most glaring need heading into the offseason. Avril and Bennett combined for 18.5 sacks last season.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Never had much of a chance to see Bennett since he played for Tampa. I hear he rates pretty high against the run for a DE though. Remember we were talking just the other day about the prospect of losing both Branch and Jason Jones and I was wondering how they could sustain losing both? Well, I guess this is the answer. Out with Jason Jones, in with Bennett. Sounds to me like Pete's planning to slide Bennett into the middle on some passing downs in effect becoming Jones' replacement on those plays.
Dang, what an offseason already so far.

OP
S

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
Although multiple teams were reportedly in contact with Michael Bennett early in free agency, the pass rusher ended up settling for a one-year, $5 million contract with the Seattle Seahawks.
Free-agent tracker
0ap1000000151660.jpg
NFL free agency is underway. Follow all of the latest player rumors and signings in our free-agent tracker. More...
Now we know why his market never developed.
Bennett has been diagnosed with a torn rotator cuff, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Sunday.
It's not clear yet if Bennett will undergo surgery to repair the tear. If he does go under the knife, the rehabilitation could put his status in doubt for the start of the regular season. If he tries to play through the injury, it's a good bet that his production will suffer.
While the Seahawks appropriately have been lauded for their offseason maneuvers, they now have two major question marks at pass rusher with defensive end Chris Clemons also coming off reconstructive knee surgery.

Mark Ramich

Huddler
Reaction score
Racism will not be tolerated.
i hope he aint the typical brother who just wants a free ride on the system

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
i hope he aint the typical brother who just wants a free ride on the system

Thats an offensive comment. There's no tolerance for this shit on the Huddle.

Besides, what the fuck are you talking about??? Bennett? He played all 16 games last year through injury, and signed a low dollar / low risk 1 yr. contract with us to prove him self.

He "AINT" gonna get a free ride...

Reaction score
I'll be the first to spit an ethnic slur when appropriate, but that was out of the blue and has nothing to do with anything. Like szat pointed out, he played the entire season and reportedly he was injured half way through. Sounds like a brother working the system to me. #dumbass

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
The article implies that other teams knew about the injury. Evidently the Seahawks didn't, otherwise they wouldn't have signed him. Seems like the trainer was out to lunch when the physical was being taken.
This is bad news. A torn rotator cuff can be a nasty one as everyone knows. Maybe not as bad for a pass rusher than for a MLB pitcher but he's still gotta have full motion on the arm/shoulder to execute many types of pass rush moves.

I'm guessing the best we can hope for is that he goes under the knife and hope he makes it back to full health at some point during the season but having that happen by week 1 is pretty much out of the question. If he opts out of having surgery then he'll never be 100 percent. All that matters is where he's at come playoff time so if he goes under the knife now he'll have time to make a full recovery by the time the playoffs roll around.

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
The article implies that other teams knew about the injury. Evidently the Seahawks didn't, otherwise they wouldn't have signed him. Seems like the trainer was out to lunch when the physical was being taken.
This is bad news. A torn rotator cuff can be a nasty one as everyone knows. Maybe not as bad for a pass rusher than for a MLB pitcher but he's still gotta have full motion on the arm/shoulder to execute many types of pass rush moves.

I'm guessing the best we can hope for is that he goes under the knife and hope he makes it back to full health at some point during the season but having that happen by week 1 is pretty much out of the question. If he opts out of having surgery then he'll never be 100 percent. All that matters is where he's at come playoff time so if he goes under the knife now he'll have time to make a full recovery by the time the playoffs roll around.

Well you have to remember, camp is still 4 months away as well, the quicker he goes under, the better, and actually the Hawks knew he was injured because his contract is the only contract on our roster where he earns money per active game. I read it on Yahoo! Sports (not my favorite sports news source.) They said he'll be earning about 187,000 per game plus incentives. Still, can't be mad when it's only a 1 yr/5m. Very low risk.

Reaction score

They knew. Schneider was on with Mitch on KJR this morning. They knew he had the "injury". Schneider said he played most of the season last year with the injury. Don't think its a big deal... Schneider said he's not even planning to have surgery on it during the season.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
It wouldn't be like the Seahawks to go into something without their eyes open. It doesn't surprise me that they knew about the injury.
I still can't help but have a small case of dampened enthusiasm though. I hope there's a such thing as a "minor" rotator cuff injury because I've never heard of one but I'll just keep my fingers crossed.
The Hawks are about as locked and loaded for a Super Bowl run as they've ever been but maybe the only thing that could scuttle it is injuries. It looks like for the first time, they could be going into the season with the edge on the Niners, which realistically they didn't have last year. But any margin they have on the Niners is probably going to be pretty small so they gotta stay as healthy as possible to keep it.
It can be pretty hard for a team to upgrade the pass rush without compromising the run defense and Bennett might just be the key to bridging the gap.

Top Bottom