• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Words

twelvewins

Huddler
Reaction score
I was in shock for a long time. My friends and I had been talking, with the consensus that after the Kearse catch we would run 3 straight downs. After Lynch got to the one I was thinking all 4 downs. When they lined up for read-option I was cool because I thought that was a great choice at 2nd down, Wilson or Lynch could run it in.

After the unbelievable comeback against the Packers I guess we have to give the staff this mulligan. With numerous injuries at critical positions they still played great against a team that everyone knows cheated. Not just this season but for a decade and more. We came up short but not from lack of effort, passion, or brilliance. Sometimes the other guys make a play.

I live in the greatest time for Seattle football and couldn't be more happy.

Idahawk

Reaction score
When they put the astrisk by the Patriots dynasty , they can put one by this game as well . We gave it to them .

I get all the running the clock stuff that Carroll is trying to explain but with 20 seconds left in the SB you just score and let the best defense in the NFL takes their chances on an 80 yard drive. A pass in that situation was asking for trouble and trouble got found . Poor call , poor execution , poor Seahawks !

Doug Baldwin crapping on the ball , Sherman holding up the 24 for Revis and the fight at the end was an embarrassment to everything this team has worked for and accomplished . I don't know about most fans but this entire chip on the shoulder thing was worn thin for me . ThIs team is going to have to learn to take it , if their going to dish it out I guess it's the price you pay when your trading motivation for class.

On the plus side . Matthews looks to be the real deal and beast mode getting a deal to stay looks likely . The search Now begins for a new D coordinator As well . Seahawks will and should be firmly in the conversation for another run next year. Back to back regardless of the outcome is still pretty fricken awesome !

Go Hawks 2015

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
RW telegraphed that play. A play that was so unnecessary at that time. So stupid given the situation. The best goal line rusher in Beast Mode denied the 24 inches to victory. Even a QB sneak or a fake up the middle with RW ad libbing the 2 feet to victory. On a drive in which they moved the ball at will and received an amazing catch by Kearse that would have been talked about and shown on every Super Bowl highlight video, the call to end it all remains too stupid for words.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
I can understand if not condone the decision to run a pass play. They were looking at two shots at the end zone via Beast Mode with only one time out left. So they run the pass play on 2nd down to give them 3 shots: 2 via the run and 1 via the pass. I ain't justifying it, I'm just saying that's why they did it.

It so defied logic in so many ways I can't even count. First off, everyone knows they shouldn't have ran a pass play to begin with, but if they were gonna run a pass play in order to allow themselves one extra shot at the TD, why not run it on first down when they are at the 5? The odds of them punching it across in three plays from the 5 were significantly less than the odds of doing it with two plays from the 1.
And then there was the type of pass play itself. A slant pattern from a 5-11 QB to your #4 receiver and doing it when everything was compressed and packed in to begin with? WTF? No. You at least utilize Wilson's strengths. You bootleg out, run a play action or something like that. If there's nothing there, Wilson could have walked into the end zone with blindfolds on. And for crying out loud, you target your #4 AFTER the progressions, not before.
And finally, you don't adjust to what the Patriots are doing. That's the most illogical part of the whole thing. All year long, the Seahawks talked about how they don't adjust or modify what they do. They just go out and do their thing and make the other team adjust to them. Well, Belichick put out his goal line defense and the friggin Seahawks ADJUSTED to it. They let Belichick dictate the situation when it was the Seahawks who had the drop on them. If everyone on the planet knew it was going to Lynch, then so be it. You know what we're going to do, but good luck trying to stop us anyway. That's how the Seahawks roll and it always has been. But no, they tried misdirection instead, playing right into the hands of Belichick and the Patriots.
Watching that crap unfold was like watching a car accident. They work so hard all season long to get to that situation and then to watch them so easily just hand over the hardware like that makes it possibly the worst gaffe in professional sports history.

Last edited:

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
I can understand if not condone the decision to run a pass play. .

I can't. Not there. Not in that situation. I agree with most everything else in your post. Taking Lynch and RW out of the play is the worst decision ever. What a dumbass.

OP
twelvewins

twelvewins

Huddler
Reaction score
Not surprisingly, 3/4 LOB members would've sat any other game. Unbelievable how close we came in spite of all the injuries. LOB played well enough for us to win. Fantastic team. Hope we can make a healthy run next season.

Idahawk

Reaction score
I can't. Not there. Not in that situation. I agree with most everything else in your post. Taking Lynch and RW out of the play is the worst decision ever. What a dumbass.

Dumbass ? Hindsight is always 20/20 , if we run there and don't score the clock is ticking we'd have to quickly run a pass play to stop the clock or call the timeout , then the last play has far more pressure on it , throwing the pass first and then doing the run plays was the right idea , but that play was poorly executed and they made a play

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
Dumbass ? Hindsight is always 20/20 , if we run there and don't score the clock is ticking we'd have to quickly run a pass play to stop the clock or call the timeout , then the last play has far more pressure on it , throwing the pass first and then doing the run plays was the right idea , but that play was poorly executed and they made a play

Absolutely 100% dumbass. Not hindsight. Common sense. Plus the execution was terrible. RW telegraphed the play. The WR wasn't squared to the ball so he couldn't screen the defender nor knock it away. RW threw the ball too high and lead the WR too much. Only the WR should have had a shot at that catch.

The most mobile QB in the NFL should have had a chance to run it in.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
After listening to the Pete Carroll show, I guess the thinking behind the play might have been a little more sound than it seemed at first glance. I'm always one of the last ones who will question the people in the biz and don't have the delusion that my grasp of the game would trump theirs. In theory, the extra play increases their odds. Three shots are better than two.
But I still can't help but go back to the scenario had they opted to run it instead. Having two plays to punch it across from inside the 1 with Lynch carrying the rock? Don't you still like those odds? I sure do. And you mention the poor execution on the pass play. That's the entire rub right there. The type of play they ran came with more risk of poor execution than a running play would have. More moving parts and more things that can work against you. The game of football is all about playing the odds without the benefit of hindsight so I think we agree on that. But I'm not sure they did play the odds on it. You increase the odds by theoretically giving yourself an extra play. But that's offset by the risk you take that comes with the type of play you run.
Oh well, it's over now.
Let's get some redemption and take the next one. Vegas has the Seahawks as the favorite AGAIN next season, even over the Patriots and Packers. We'll see how it turns out. A full year is a long time to wait but time heals all wounds.
Go Hawks!!

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
No team has won the NFC three times in a row. Don't get me started or I'll revisit the folly of a rePete winning of the Super Bowl.:whistling:

Idahawk

Reaction score
That fact that the play wasn't executed properly doesn't make it dumb . This wasn't some spur of the moment play , Carroll and company had a play to burn and this is the one they were obvisiously the most comfortable with , your Also putting 6"4 Lockette on a much smaller rookie DB On a route that's virtually unstoppable when you put the ball where it needs to go . Browner is the guy who blew it up , he jacked up Kearses' pick and altered Lockette just enough to throw off the timing of that route , plan and simple.

Just so we're clear , I'm on the Beast Mode 3 straight runs bus like everyone else , you can't throw there in a Super Bowl without at least testing the run first ....

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
After hearing all the "logic" even two days removed, the play call was idiotic. Dumb fin call, hormonal, bevell/Carrol trying to " out think the room".

Any time you put the air on the ball you are gambling, especially on the 1 yard line where you have no room for error, and everything is compressed.

And IDK what anyone says, with proper clock management, you get all 4 downs and shots at the end-zone.

seahawkblitz

Huddler
Reaction score
I was pretty pissed about that call too. But after having a couple days to digest the most heartbreaking loss ever I came to the conclusion that we can't really put all the blame on that one play anyway. Granted, it would have been amazing to win a Super bowl in the last seconds. But for me the bottom line is this. We had a 10 point lead when the 4th quarter started. GAME OVER. We should have never been in the position to need that score to win the game.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
After hearing all the "logic" even two days removed, the play call was idiotic. Dumb fin call, hormonal, bevell/Carrol trying to " out think the room".

Any time you put the air on the ball you are gambling, especially on the 1 yard line where you have no room for error, and everything is compressed.

And IDK what anyone says, with proper clock management, you get all 4 downs and shots at the end-zone.
How exactly did they mismanage the clock? They didn't burn the 2nd timeout because they were wasting time. First off, on long plays like that, the play clock is going to expire before everyone can get down field to line up for the next play because everyone's got so far to travel. You often see a timeout in that situation if it's a long play that doesn't make it into the end zone. So not only did it take them all that time to get down there but they were facing a delay of game violation and had to spend the 2nd time out to prevent that from happening.
If anything, Belichick was the one responsible for the clock issue the Hawks were facing by opting not to spend a time out of his own.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
How exactly did they mismanage the clock? They didn't burn the 2nd timeout because they were wasting time. First off, on long plays like that, the play clock is going to expire before everyone can get down field to line up for the next play because everyone's got so far to travel. You often see a timeout in that situation if it's a long play that doesn't make it into the end zone. So not only did it take them all that time to get down there but they were facing a delay of game violation and had to spend the 2nd time out to prevent that from happening.
If anything, Belichick was the one responsible for the clock issue the Hawks were facing by opting not to spend a time out of his own.

I didnt say they mis-managed the clock, I said they could have still gotten all four downs to win the game...

Pete and others have said in the media, that if they didn't pass they wouldn't have all four downs / attempts to get in.
That is not true, with proper clock management it could have been done, and I know this seems like hindsight but an experienced play caller should have known this...

With 27 seconds on the clock 2 and 1 on the goal line, you Run a safe run play or read option play which has worked before.
(see GB game 4th quarter 3:00)
(see NE game 2nd quarter 5:30!)

If you don't get at TD, call the final TO. 20 seconds left...

This gives you a minute to plan the next two plays, you can go pass/run, run/run, even run/run!! as long you go hurry-up. And think of this, they wont have time to substitute, so if you have the right guys out there you can get pretty creative.

My whole point is you dont put the hopes and dreams of the whole season on one play, when you could have went with a lower risk plays first. On third or fourth down yes, and 2nd and 1, hell no.
Pete Carroll got hormonal, and Bevell got trisky as usual.

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
I would say we had the game, and THREW it away.

2 and 1 on the 1 with 1 time out and 27 seconds on the clock.

URGH! No I am not over it.

Yes given away. So pathetic. Should have been an epic victory instead of soul crushing defeat.

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
I didnt say they mis-managed the clock, I said they could have still gotten all four downs to win the game...

Pete and others have said in the media, that if they didn't pass they wouldn't have all four downs / attempts to get in.
That is not true, with proper clock management it could have been done, and I know this seems like hindsight but an experienced play caller should have known this...

With 27 seconds on the clock 2 and 1 on the goal line, you Run a safe run play or read option play which has worked before.
(see GB game 4th quarter 3:00)
(see NE game 2nd quarter 5:30!)

If you don't get at TD, call the final TO. 20 seconds left...

This gives you a minute to plan the next two plays, you can go pass/run, run/run, even run/run!! as long you go hurry-up. And think of this, they wont have time to substitute, so if you have the right guys out there you can get pretty creative.

My whole point is you dont put the hopes and dreams of the whole season on one play, when you could have went with a lower risk plays first. On third or fourth down yes, and 2nd and 1, hell no.
Pete Carroll got hormonal, and Bevell got trisky as usual.

That is BS. If the pass is caught and downed inbounds no way 4 downs possible. Plus they would be almost forced into another risky pass play. Can't lipstick that pig. They blew it. Should have been up to 3 runs to the end zone.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
That is BS. If the pass is caught and downed inbounds no way 4 downs possible. Plus they would be almost forced into another risky pass play. Can't lipstick that pig. They blew it. Should have been up to 3 runs to the end zone.
If that pass had been caught, it would have been a TD, if not, they call the Time out, and still have 20 seconds to run two plays, very doable in a hurry - up situation.

Top Bottom