• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Arise Flynninites

TwilightError

Huddler
Reaction score
Wilson's interviews are weird... Dude a clichè spouting robot, then he adds "go hawks" at the end. Seems unnecessary.

Its like he doesn't even have a personality. He just says the exact things that he is "supposed to say" as "all the right things". If you watch all seven post game press conferences, I bet you cant even tell which one is from what game, because he always says the same exact things anyway. Sticking to clichès is definitely not a sign of confidence.

I think the reason is one of these:

1. He is the most boring person on the planet and has absolutely nothing of his own to say.
2. He tries so hard to do everything thats expected as the right way, he ends up doing it wrong. Clichè is not genuine.
3. He actually is a robot. Maybe one of the gay robots from Star Wars in disguise. I think it´s safe to say he is not the tall golden one, so he must be the rubbish bin look-a-like.

Maybe we will see more of his real personality when he gets more self secure due to age and experience.

Go Hawks.

Idahawk

Reaction score
Watch the game and watch Wilson's drop backs, look at the lines on both sides of the ball. These big huge d lineman for SF are down in a 3 point stance , become engaged with our o lineman and for the most part are never standing straight up during a play . Its not like a guy 6'7 is standing there with his arms raised forcing Wilson to throw over something 10 feet tall its not the case at all and proof is watching for yourself.

Wilson throws high if he's in the pocket or out of the pocket sometimes , he throws high if guys are wide open sometimes and yes he tends to throw high on shorter routes, but I think that's adrenaline more than anything else. To blame missed passes on his being short and not able to see is simply not the case, go watch all 23 of his drop backs and show me how he's being effected , and this is against one the biggest lines in the game !

Idahawk

Reaction score
Did I say that a taller QB equals more wins? I'm not even bringing up Flynn or any other QB for that matter. I'm evaluating Russell as our starting QB. As a Seahawk fan, am I not allowed to do that? Is he immune to criticism?

I'm watching games. I'm seeing receiver open right in front of him. He's not throwing to them. Instead he is thrown to a guy streaking downfield who is tripple covered. He is doing this at an alarming rate. Why is he doing this? Logically, the first thing that comes to mind is his height.

If your " Watching " games then why do you fail to see the blitzer to Wilson's right effecting that play or why don't you see the linebacker squatting in the passing lane spying on Wilson ? He saw the pressure coming from the right side IF he turns and tries to go Rice's way he's sacked , he's also gotta a linebacker waiting for him to throw in Rice's direction plus the DB covering Rice. Wilson never looks that way as he see's the pressure and instead either is throwing it up thinking his WR will go get it or was trying to get it out of bounds, it was a bad throw to make either way . They have a perfect camera angle on the play showing exactly what I'm talking about, I'm sure Rice after seeing the replay feels stupid for acting like a baby. Its a play where Wilson clearly " see's " whats happening and makes a bad decision.

Reaction score
I will watch that play AGAIN when I get home tonight. The two times I've gone back and rewatched it I see him starring down Braylon, not attempting to look anywhere else. Being blitzed is part of the game. He sees the backer coming. He needs to either get rid of the ball, hit an OPEN receiver or just take the damn sack. He threw up a duck into a 3 man coverage. I'm not going to put the whole game on him for that one play. Just like I'm not going to put it on the receivers/backs/tight ends for the drops. We had a lot of them in this game, but it hasn't been a huge problem for this team leading up to this game. We were tied for the least amounts of drops in the league before this game at 6 (officially). Did those drops cost us points? Probably. If Turbin catches that pass, he probably gets tackled before the end zone but that gives us a new set of downs and maybe we get a TD instead of a FG. Tate's drop on that 3rd and 2 was HUGE. We got a gift on that drive earlier with the defensive penalty and still couldn’t capitalize.

I don't know how you can say for sure that Russell is seeing guys open consistently. Unless you've talked to him or standing on the field with him, there’s no way to know for sure. I am making a guess, based on what I've seen. He is either not seeing wide open guys, or making piss poor decisions. It’s happening very often, and in every game. I don't have the 22 film, but I recall the replay from the Rams game where he was hit by Jenkins and threw that pick. It was a great vantage point, directly behind Wilson and those linemen, even not standing STRAIGHT up, were towering over him and I thought to myself "there is no way in hell that he can see anything".

For whatever reason, he's been awful in the short to intermediate range. He's most successful on PA when he can roll out, look downfield and chuck it 50+ yards down the field. He's got a canon arm, I'll give him that and really good accuracy on the deep ball. His deep passes no longer look like punts either. However, it seemed like SF took away the deep game fairly early and he struggled mightily. You can’t rely on deep bombs all game long. We were able to squeak out a win vs NE employing that strategy, but that was against a horrid secondary, who I believe was playing two rookies after their starters had left the game. 9 of 23 for 122 and an INT is not acceptable for a starting QB in the NFL. I don't care if its Wilson, Flynn or Tom Brady. When you're team holds the opponent to 13 points on the road, you're RB runs for 100+ on the #1 defense, you better play good enough to get a W.

Again, I'll watch take a look at that play tonight and give a more accurate response.

Reaction score
Interesting quote from Pete:

“He is an amazing kid – unbelievable character, drive, work ethic and a discipline about him that we now know,” Carroll told the NFL Network in an interview that aired before the nationally televised game. “He is a baller. We felt like we were doing the right thing (in going with Wilson over Flynn), and if it wasn’t we could fix it.

Might just be me reading too much into it, but sounding like Carroll is second guessing the decision to name Wilson the starter. Also, by "fix it" does he mean make a QB change?

If we base Carroll’s decision to go with Wilson solely on Wilson performance in preseason, and not consider ANYTHING else, it's hard to fault him. Wilson was posting record breaking stats in just about every category. Hugh had mentioned some of them were the best in the last century. If Pete expected those same results in the regular season, again, based on preseason alone, you have to go with Wilson. However, that has not translated into the same success in the regular season. Instead, we are dead last in just about every offensive category outside of running the ball.

How long do you continue to ride or die with Wilson? We have won 3 of our 4 games by a combined 7 points. One was won on a controversial last minute Hail Mary 'interdown', another on a deep bomb with less than 2 minutes to play. Our three losses are by a combined 17 points. In 2009, under Mora, we were lucky if 17 was the margin per game. It is not a stretch to say we could easily be 7-0 right now. Just as easily, we could be 2-5. With even average to slightly below average QB play, we could be 7 and fucking 0!! Something needs to change. Either Wilson gets his shit together and starts playing like an NFL QB or we need to make a QB change. I said this on the FB page, the remaining games are all very winnable on paper, however, this type of play is not sustainable. There are cracks in the foundation. We are already seeing the fatigue on defense setting in. After not giving up more than 87 yards on the ground for 6 weeks, we allow the 9ers to gash us for 170+. Sure, I’ll give credit to the 9ers oline, they executed beautifully, but our defense is still much better than that. I could see the frustration setting in. I would love to see the time of possession for the second half. Do you think the defense is going to continue to lay everything on the line week after week if the offense keeps coming up short? I don’t think so.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I have always heard Carroll say Flynn will get his chance and that it is a continuous competition. Wilson is actually Schneider's guy and he talked Carroll into him.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Quit blaming everything on Bevell. He had great offensive success in 2009. Why, cause he had a QB that execute the plays that were called. Not saying he's an offensive genius but this city has seen a lot worse!

YOur unbelievable man, your just so hellbent on getting RW out of there your blind to other issues.
Im not the only one saying the playcalling is questionable if not just curious. 3 and 10 draw play, fucking lame, no wonder we get FG's, and not TD's.
Im saying there are other issues too, in SF game, not good pass pro, #1 defense, RW was rattled and at times looked like rookie, WR's dropping passes ect.
But you are all about the QB, because you have been a flynn guy from the start. I havent even read your two page long rants, but Im sure its all about I wonder what????

BTW Softy said Bevel didnt playcall in Minny, Brad Childress did so there goes that theory.
And we have every right to call out coaches as well as players, so heres another newsflash, Gus Bradley got out coached as well!! No second half adjustment to the jumbo formation, trying to take on TE's and OL with DB's.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
right thing (in going with Wilson over Flynn), Wilson the starter. QB change? with Wilson solely on Wilson Wilson go with Wilson. continue to ride or die with Wilson? Hail Mary 'interdown', slightly below average QB play, we could be 7 and fucking 0!! Something needs to change. Either Wilson gets his shit together and starts playing like an NFL QB or we need to make a QB change. coming up short? I don’t think so.
Yep thats what I thought.... Man all I gonna say is, we are 4-3 now, not bad, and our best football is ahead of us.

TwilightError

Huddler
Reaction score
I have always heard Carroll say Flynn will get his chance and that it is a continuous competition. Wilson is actually Schneider's guy and he talked Carroll into him.

Wasn't Flynn Schneiders guy too? And he talked Carroll into it cause he knew Flynn from his days at Green Bay.

Idahawk

Reaction score
" I don't know how you can say for sure that Russell is seeing guys open consistently."

Why is it that you can guess and throw out conjecture and the rest of us need to have cold hard facts LOL

What I'm saying is there is NOTHING unusual about the way Wilson is playing the position. Their moving the pocket with him , he's finding the passing lanes and is doing a reasonable job as a rookie keeping his eyes down field and trying to make plays with the few chances he's given. The mistakes he's making are the same ones every QB makes, from rookies to seasoned veterans.

The guys that are screaming about his height are the ones that need to prove their side. And some weak ass 1 or 2 balls batted down at the line doesn't make a convincing argument, for his height or making a QB change ?

BeerBeak

Huddler
Reaction score
The mistakes he's making are the same ones every QB makes, from rookies to seasoned veterans.

I agree. I watch/follow a couple of College teams, as well as being forced to watch Denver with some family members . . . so, I get in 5-6 games a weekend. Every game, you see/hear "wow ! he didn't see xxxxx was wide open with nothing but green grass to the end-zone ! so, he took the 12 yard receiver.... what a missed opportunity Wow ! I cannot believe he did not see that open man !" this happens two-three times a game, they come back to replay some guy waving his arms Jumping Jack like, forty yards down field with no one around for twenty yards... every game.

This season, batted down balls are the new thing, you will see more in "one" game than you used to see in a season....

OP
sprhawk

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
" The guys that are screaming about his height are the ones that need to prove their side. And some weak ass 1 or 2 balls batted down at the line doesn't make a convincing argument, for his height or making a QB change ?

Have you seen willy take a direct snap and throw a quick pass ever? Flynn did it 3 times in a row the last time he played. Do you ever listen to sports analysts? They all say his height is limiting him. He went in the 3rd round because of his height. What needs to be proven is that he can efficiently move us down the field.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Wasn't Flynn Schneiders guy too? And he talked Carroll into it cause he knew Flynn from his days at Green Bay.

Schneider was familiar with Flynn, sure. But he wasn't the guy that ultimately drafted Flynn in Green Bay. Flynn was the one that did the convincing when he was here, if I recall Carroll's comments correctly. Regardless, Wilson is going to get a hard look when he was, "one of the top 3 players he evaluated in college of all last year." That's what Schneider told Peter King about Wilson.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Have you seen willy take a direct snap and throw a quick pass ever? Flynn did it 3 times in a row the last time he played. Do you ever listen to sports analysts? They all say his height is limiting him. He went in the 3rd round because of his height. What needs to be proven is that he can efficiently move us down the field.

Remember, all those people are the same ones that said Wilson has looked better than Flynn throughout the competition, too.

Reaction score
To blame missed passes on his being short and not able to see is simply not the case

You sound pretty confident... very matter of fact.

I've seen several people on here state that his height is NOT a factor. I'm saying that I think it may be one of the reasons for his struggles. To completely disregard that is foolish. It's one of the more logical arguements.

I'm not bringing up batted down passes, and definitely not blaming those on his height. That happens to all QBs. Wilson does have that "high release" and he seems to avoid batted down passes pretty well, especially considering his height.

What concerns me is him consistently not throwing to the short and intermediate routes. I've seen countless times receivers crossing short in front of him, or a back or TE sitting in a soft spot far enough to pick up a first down. He's simply ignoring those or not seeing them.

Reaction score
I agree. I watch/follow a couple of College teams, as well as being forced to watch Denver with some family members . . . so, I get in 5-6 games a weekend. Every game, you see/hear "wow ! he didn't see xxxxx was wide open with nothing but green grass to the end-zone ! so, he took the 12 yard receiver.... what a missed opportunity Wow ! I cannot believe he did not see that open man !" this happens two-three times a game, they come back to replay some guy waving his arms Jumping Jack like, forty yards down field with no one around for twenty yards... every game.

This season, batted down balls are the new thing, you will see more in "one" game than you used to see in a season....

We aren't talking about the same thing. I'm talking about his inability to see the shorter stuff. The 5-10 yard stuff. He seems to want to go deep a lot. Hitting a guy for 12 yards to pick up a first down instead of chucking it deep on a higher risk pass is not the same thing as chucking it deep to a guy who's covered and missing/not seeing a guy who is open 5 yards in front of you for a first down. Sure you want to go deep occasionally to stretch the field and maybe make a big play, but you can't rely on that alone.

Reaction score
YOur unbelievable man, your just so hellbent on getting RW out of there your blind to other issues.
Im not the only one saying the playcalling is questionable if not just curious. 3 and 10 draw play, fucking lame, no wonder we get FG's, and not TD's.
Im saying there are other issues too, in SF game, not good pass pro, #1 defense, RW was rattled and at times looked like rookie, WR's dropping passes ect.
But you are all about the QB, because you have been a flynn guy from the start. I havent even read your two page long rants, but Im sure its all about I wonder what????

BTW Softy said Bevel didnt playcall in Minny, Brad Childress did so there goes that theory.
And we have every right to call out coaches as well as players, so heres another newsflash, Gus Bradley got out coached as well!! No second half adjustment to the jumbo formation, trying to take on TE's and OL with DB's.

I didn't say the play calling isn't questionable. I've voiced my displeasure with it many times. I just don't think it is the #1 reason that our passing game is so bismal.

Did Gus Bradley get outcoached? Maybe. Did they get outplayed in the second half. Yup. But his defense still held the 49ers to 13 points. The same 49ers team that averaged 25.3 points per game leading up to Thursday night. They did this on the road with little to no help from our offense. Our secondary completely shut down Vernon Davis, and the 49ers receivers were held to a combined 6 catches. So quit trying to redirect the blame on Bradley and the defense.

Idahawk

Reaction score
You sound pretty confident... very matter of fact.

I've seen several people on here state that his height is NOT a factor. I'm saying that I think it may be one of the reasons for his struggles. To completely disregard that is foolish. It's one of the more logical arguements.

I'm not bringing up batted down passes, and definitely not blaming those on his height. That happens to all QBs. Wilson does have that "high release" and he seems to avoid batted down passes pretty well, especially considering his height.

What concerns me is him consistently not throwing to the short and intermediate routes. I've seen countless times receivers crossing short in front of him, or a back or TE sitting in a soft spot far enough to pick up a first down. He's simply ignoring those or not seeing them.

The number one tell he would have if his height was a problem would be batted down passes and d-lineman picking him off wouldn't you say ? I am confident only because it was talked about when he was drafted and the evidence wasn't there then and its not there now, I can't see something that's not there you said yourself your speculating so I don't know what to tell you . Find another reason.

As far as short to intermediate routes he only threw deep 4 times last game where do think the other 19 throws went ?

Top Bottom