• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Flynn or Wilson ?

The Seahawks starting QB is ?

• Matt Flynn

Votes: 23 88.5%
  • Russell Wilson

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Tavaris jackson

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
If Barkly turns out to be the franchise QB most think he will it could be a cheap price to pay. If he would have entered the draft this year there is a good chance he would have been the #1 pick. But for the Seahawks to make a move like that they would have to be very sure that Barkly lives up to expetations. I have heard several people in the know say that if Wilson was 6' 2" he might have been drafted ahead of RG3. So maybe the Seahawks already have there franchise QB of the future. I think Flynn is better then TJax but is an unknown and could also be that guy. Next year by this time we should know who the QB of the future really is. The only thing I know is it isn't TJax.

Reaction score
Barkley would have gone in the top 5, but not before Luck and maybe not even before RGIII. Wilson might be something special, he's got the complete skill set, just not the size.

Reaction score
So many variables go into place when talking about trading for Barkley. Who is the team holding the #1 pick? Do they need a franchise QB? Are they a division rival? Are there other teams who need a QB that are willing to give up more than us? And the list goes on.

In reality, I don't see us making a play for him. Then again, NO ONE (sometimes not even Pete) knows what the hell PC is thinking. I think there is a very good chance that we'll get a solid if not a franchise QB out of either Flynn, Wilson or BOTH. Time will tell.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I doubt we do. They have too much invested in Flynn and Wilson now, in combination with the fact that we should be picking in the mid-to-late first round.

TwilightError

Huddler
Reaction score
Barkley might well be Pete´s long term plan. In order to get him, the whole franchise needs to be mortgaged. I.e. we need to give up a draftful of picks to get him. At that point it comes in handy to have to potential starting QB´s (Wilson, Flynn) who can be traded for extra picks.

I personally see loads of potential in Flynn. If you look at his two starts, particularly the first one against Pats, he sets out to win the game and really goes after it with everything he´s got. And this is Patriots, not some weaker team. He is not like some typical backup QB who just tries to avoid mistakes and relies on running backs as much as possible. He has the most critical quality a franchise quarterback needs, confidence. Flynn is a proper fighter and Packers were just as strong with him as they were with Rodgers. To me, the talk about his "ceiling being not high enough to be a franchise QB" is just being pessimistic and a bit scared of getting too excited.

I really hope Flynn gets to be the starter in week one and gets the most reps in training camp with the first team before that. In that case he has the whole season to prove us that we don´t need Barkley. I dont mind if Wilson grows to be the "guy" after him...

With Tarvaris starting on week 1, I´m starting to lose confidence on Carroll. And so far I think he has been doing the right things but I cant see that being anything else than a mistake, caused by being afraid to take a chance. With Tarvaris starting, 6-7 wins is the maximum. With Flynn, who knows?

Reaction score
I may have jumped the gun.....

flynnjersey.jpg

But it was $50 at the Nike employee store and Flynn was the only player they had. Had to take a gamble for that price. Really hoping he's the man now!

Reaction score
Nice, I really want to get an alternate Kam Chancellor jersey... That will probably be one of the first things I buy after I find work and pay off my credit card. That and Madden 13, Borderlands 2, Assassins's Creed 3, and Halo 4 lol.

S

Seattlehawk94

Getting a Flynn gamer at the preseason opener....

And maybe a Titans gamer if I play my cards right...haha

HAWK

Huddler
Reaction score
How short is Flynn's leash ? Will he have a leash ?

Sadly, I think Flynn will have a short leash, just as Charlie, Forsett, Houshmidzadah, Tatupu, and Mike Williams all had short leashes. That is how Carroll operates. I would like to see Carroll give Flynn 16 games and a chance to develop. Playing QB in this league is not easy. QBs need time to develop and get used to their offense and become more crisp with their decisions.

And finally, when interviewed by Brock and Salk right after acquiring Flynn, they asked him how excited he was about the acquisition. He said: "This is a guy that Schneider has been making the case for, for a long time. So, we finally went out and got him...." It didn't really strike me that this is Carroll's favorite, but more Schneiders. I definitely noticed much more enthusiasm from Carroll when Wilson was signed. If I could choose to be one of the three QBs right now, I would choose to be Wilson. But, just like the others, Wilson will have a short leash too.

HAWK

Huddler
Reaction score
Who would you rather see start day one and why ?

I really would like to see Flynn. I know that he played with some of the best wide receivers in Green Bay, but if you look at the film what you see is: 1) Quick decision making 2) Accurate passing 3) The ability to throw the ball away when needed 4) The ability to run 5) The ability to come through on two big stages with his career at stake. He has shown a great upside with a whopping 480 yards and 6 TDs breaking the Packers passing record.

Tarvaris has shown that he will always be Tarvaris. His numbers last season are like his numbers in his previous seasons. The Seahawks went out and added two quarterbacks for a reason. I don't understand how a 3 way competition benefits the team at this point.

Wilson has potential if you watch the film. However, quarterbacks his size with his skill set have not faired well in this league. I'm not saying he won't be the first to change that. However, there is never a rush to start a rookie QB in the NFL. Just ask Ryan Leaf.

Conclusion: Give the ball to Flynn. Let Wilson be the backup. Cut Tarvaris. Let Josh Portis be your #3.

HAWK

Huddler
Reaction score
Funny you have mentioned Barkly, I have been thinking for quite a while that they might go hard after Barkly in next years draft. I think they have rebuilt the team to the point that they could now trade multiple picks to move up to get him even if he turns out to be the #1 pick in the draft.

Schneider has shown that he is not the type to give up the farm for anyone.

He went out and got Flynn and Wilson this season. It is doubtful that you will see the Hawks go for Barkley next season.

HAWK

Huddler
Reaction score
When we win Superbowl XLVIII with Matthew Flynn you can all say I called it....

Flynn....To win....Now...And in the Future...

I love this post! I feel the same way! Even though I'm discouraged about Flynn not getting the reps he needs right now, I know he's a smart guy, and has come through on two big stages without weeks of prep with the first team. We have the line. We have the running back. We have Rice, Winslow, and Baldwin. We have a top 10 defense. There is no reason why the Hawks will not surprise in 2012. GO SEAHAWKS!

HAWK

Huddler
Reaction score
There has been reports that Flynn has not been able to divide himself clearly from Jackson. But is that any wonder since its Jakcsons seventh year in the same system? Its Flynns first couple of monhts. If JSPC does not realize that its about the potential, and the only way Flynn can realize his potential is starting games, we are screwed. We all know Jacksons potential. Its just not enough.

Wilson would do best by not starting yet. Its too early.

How is any QB supposed to separate themselves from the pack in OTAs? It's flag football with no defense. Are you kidding me!? I'm aware of those reports too, but they are ridiculous.

The reality is this: Carroll's philosophy of competition has the potential to hurt him in this situation as you will need Flynn to be totally comfortable week 1. We don't need the offense learning the offense throughout the season. Due to Jackson's past performance, Flynn should have been signed as the starter.

Sometimes I wonder if there is a pity party going on for Jackson since according to many, he didn't get a fair shot in Minnesota. Also, there was the report from Trent Dilfer that OC Bevell really wants Jackson to succeed. Sometimes you wonder if Carroll doesn't want to hurt Jackson's feelings.....

HAWK

Huddler
Reaction score
I think it is pretty long. If he wins the starting job, I think, unless he really tanks, it is his for at least this year.

I agree with this. Even when Hasselbeck was struggling in 2010, Carroll would not bench him. Also, last season, even when the fans were booing Tarvaris, he wouldn't bench him. If Flynn is the starter week 1, then it is likely he will play 16 games unless he gets injured. However, if he doesn't have a great season, he could be benched or let go the next season just as Hasselbeck and Tarvaris (obviously, I'm assuming Tarvaris will not be the starter week 1 or it will reflect poorly on Seahawks managment acquiring Flynn and benching him).

Reaction score
It's nice to know we have a rookie who is learning the system quickly and impressing the coaches, but Flynn will be the starter.

Top Bottom