• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Does this bother anyone else?

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
RW had an awesome game throwing 4 TD's. Some beautiful catches this week.

This is what bothers me, RW commenting about the "depth on his drop" and focused on that.

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-phot...nference/3afbddd9-9313-4f52-9ac7-6601c6092c4c

RW has 2 lost fumbles in 3 games compared to 3 from all of last year. That puts him on track for 10+ this year and I think the fumbles have increased because he is dropping back instead of rolling out.

Okung on IR and probable on Sweezy and Breno. We signed a rookie, Hauptmann from Cleveland practice squad. I think it would be wise for RW to forego working on his drop back and go back to rolling out.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
75% of Wilson's pass plays last year he dropped back and threw from the pocket. Why wasn't he fumbling the ball on those plays?
Both times he fumbled the ball this year he was blindsided and had the ball stripped out. Just my own opinion but I think he becomes highly effective at rollouts, bootlegs or whatever and good things happen if he's able to do it because he wants to, not because he has to. If he does it to compensate for a deficiency, like the LT consistently getting beat and leaving his blindside unprotected or he's having to dodge pass rushers because the pocket's collapsing on him, then that can only take him so far.
Maybe the real solution might be better pass protection.
Not saying he's a "pocket QB" but throwing from the pocket always has been a big part of what he does and he had a good amount of success doing it last year. I do agree though that he needs to continue rolling out at times because he's about as good as anyone throwing on the move.

Idahawk

Reaction score
At times the Jags came with 3 and had success including a sack , you bet your ass its on the online , I think they want to keep him in the pocket for the time being for his own protection and to help the online , but the o line is struggling to maintain a pocket at times and were not looking consistent in the run game as well .
If it were week ten and it wasn't cleaned up I'd be concerned , but I think we just start slow and this shall pass .

OP
sprhawk

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
75% of Wilson's pass plays last year he dropped back and threw from the pocket. Why wasn't he fumbling the ball on those plays?

I agree with most of what your saying but I think you've reversed that %, last year RW was rolling out on almost every pass play. The oline didn't start to solidify until late last season.

I actually thought the roll outs were designed plays but this year your 75% is more accurate. Unless he drops 5-10 yards he isn't going to be able to see his WR's. I've seen him thread it between linemen on some quick outs and the ball is at shoulder level.

You'll notice when Tjack comes in against the Jags how much easier he passes from the pocket. Half a foot is significant when your linemen are 6'5 to 6'7. I just think he should play to his strengths.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
In actuality, at least according to Sando, the percentage of passes Wilson threw from inside the pocket was about 72.7% last year. It might not have seemed that much because relatively speaking 28% throwing outside the pocket is pretty high as far as NFL standards go and there were games, or stretches of games, where he rolled out or ran keepers pretty frequently, like the latter stages of the Chicago game.
As for him being too short to throw from the pocket, I once thought that to be true as well and I was a skeptic for a long time. But the stats just don't bear that out, particularly his 102.9 rating throwing inside the pocket, which made him one of the best in the league, not to mention he only had 4 tipped passes (as compared to 16 for the 6'-4" Luck).

Here's a link to the Sando article in case you haven't seen it.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/pos...13/a-couple-qb-stats-to-keep-in-pocket-or-out

OP
sprhawk

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
The numbers don't make any sense, ESPN's stats must be based on "between the hash marks" and not considering if he was mobile. I think to be considered a pocket pass a QB drops back and throws. I've watched every game last year multiple times and there is no way 72% of his passes came from drop and throws.

Sando is expressing this:

Note to self: The fact that a quarterback moves well doesn't mean he should be perceived as one lacking the skills traditional passers possess. The templates we've used in categorizing quarterbacks must change as players such as Wilson defy them.

So I will restate my concern; Wilson shouldn't commit to the 3 step drop because his mobility is why he's been able to "defy" the template.

Reaction score
The numbers don't make any sense, ESPN's stats must be based on "between the hash marks" and not considering if he was mobile. I think to be considered a pocket pass a QB drops back and throws. I've watched every game last year multiple times and there is no way 72% of his passes came from drop and throws.

Sando is expressing this:

Note to self: The fact that a quarterback moves well doesn't mean he should be perceived as one lacking the skills traditional passers possess. The templates we've used in categorizing quarterbacks must change as players such as Wilson defy them.

So I will restate my concern; Wilson shouldn't commit to the 3 step drop because his mobility is why he's been able to "defy" the template.

How about we let Wilson, Bevell and Coach Carroll worry about what they need to do?

OP
sprhawk

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
How about we let Wilson, Bevell and Coach Carroll worry about what they need to do?

Play calling eh?

It does make me trip on how anyone can't be thinking "he shouldn't be dropping back" while watching tape? I'm on my couch saying it and sure enough, sack/fumble. 2 of the 4 TD's came on roll outs. The first goal line TD was a sweet fake to Zack. The TD to Rice was real close to being a sack or Int. Even RW gave credit to Rice with the save on that one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Play calling eh?

It does make me trip on how anyone can't be thinking "he shouldn't be dropping back" while watching tape? I'm on my couch saying it and sure enough, sack/fumble. 2 of the 4 TD's came on roll outs. The first goal line TD was a sweet fake to Zack. The TD to Rice was real close to being a sack or Int. Even RW gave credit to Rice with the save on that one.
Dude can't roll out on every damn passing play. He's got to play conventional QB from inside the pocket as well.

OP
sprhawk

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
True, as talented as RW is I guess that is his weak area. It makes sense for him to try to improve but he's not getting any taller.

I'm 5'10 and when I play ball with 6 plus dudes I use my speed to my advantage and take theirs away.

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
I don't think RW is getting as much protection this year as last so he doesn't have as much time to decide on what to do. I think Okung being out has a lot to do with that. I thought RW had a nice game last week and looking forward to see how he does this week. I'm not worried about RW's play at all and feel he will improve as time goes on.

Idahawk

Reaction score
I think he's going to scramble plenty against the texans , with missing pieces on the o line and the pressure Texas can apply , he needs to burn them early and often with his feet to keep them honest , get a lead and then play keep away .

Reaction score
I think he's going to scramble plenty against the texans , with missing pieces on the o line and the pressure Texas can apply , he needs to burn them early and often with his feet to keep them honest , get a lead and then play keep away .
Maybe he should just take the snap 15-20 yards behind the center. Give himself a head start.

OP
sprhawk

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Maybe he should just take the snap 15-20 yards behind the center. Give himself a head start.

LMAO, "Now in at center, Long snapper Clint Gresham."

Hey it would solve some of our line issues shifting Unger over to a guard position. Of course Gresham would probably be dead after a couple plays.

Reaction score
LMAO, "Now in at center, Long snapper Clint Gresham."

Hey it would solve some of our line issues shifting Unger over to a guard position. Of course Gresham would probably be dead after a couple plays.
They'd line JJ Watt over Gresham for at least the first 3 plays, until he gets carted off the field.

Reaction score
The injuries bother me, quite a bit actually. But what can you do?
Nothing you can do there.

We're already without Okung and might be without our RT. Not good when you've got to face JJ Watt.

I do think the Hawks will game plan the shit out of this game. I think JJ will be doubled team on every single passing play. I also expect to see a lot of designed run plays for Wilson (similiar to Buffalo) to slow down the attacking front seven.

As @sprhawk pointed out, I expect to see a lot of roll outs as well.

Top Bottom