• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

end of season - hopes

Reaction score
tad early with 2 games to play, but we'll beat the Buccs, lose to Green Bay.

This season has yet again been punctuated by injuries to key players, but off the field we've also seen monumental shifts. With Ruskell going (thank god), Mora is now on notice (to steal a phrase from Dr Stephen T Colbert DFA) and next season MUST regain the NFC West title.

Failure, piss poor play calling, and lack of effort simply is not an option.

My hope is that Holmgren comes in, drafts sensibly and helps Mora as i believe he can do well as Head Coach.

What are fellow "huddlers" thoughts?

Its been tough watching this season :(

Have a good holidays people :) and roll on 2010

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
Seahawks need to step to the plate before we lose our chance at Holmgren. :pissed:

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Because I don't think the Seahawks will make the choice by Friday. Nor should they. There are a lot of candidates that I'm sure would make good GMs, but if they are on a team that is still playing, the Seahawks cannot talk to them. How can they really determine if Holmgren is the best person if they don't talk with anyone else?

Reaction score
I think they can talk to anyone by getting permission and most org will allow that if the person involved is getting a step up the ladder

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
That may be. But have the Seahawks talked to anyone? I don't think they have. Not even Holmgren. So Holmgren may very well come to Seattle. But if he does, he likely won't have his answer by Christmas.

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
I guess this is how I see it.

Take Holmgren and you get a known commodity who though did not have the most amazing drafts managed to bring in some solid players most offensively. Also, he will no longer be handling the coaching aspect and thus can focus primarily on GMing/Football operations. Add my personal favorite, Zorn is expected to be fired at the end of the season and where Holmgren goes Zorn follows. Welcome home Holmgren and Zorn, that sounds like a damn good start to the offseason.

Wait for those available during offseason and land one of them. Holmgren would be with the Browns meaning even the Browns think he was a step up from what they had so we shouldn't look there. I am sure there is someone there qualified to get us on track, but the gamble is who? How long? Do they bring in familiarity with the team/franchise and the system it runs. It is a lot like drafting a 1st round QB, a lot of misses but a chance for a big hit.

Well I do not want to wait and see, I don't want to risk the misses. I know Holmgren is not the Legendary Drafter, he is the Legendary Coach. However he will bring a winning personality to the Franchise and a legacy already established with us. Holmgren gave us the best years of football the Seahawks ever had, and that is enough for me to say he has the higher probability of hit than a offseason GM.

These ofcourse are just my opinion. But what possesses you to think something miraculous is out there this offseason to pass on our hometown hero? Who is on your short list?

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
True, though so do the Browns and that is not stopping them. Find the first minority on the street and start interviewing him, then tell him you think you are going in a different direction and call up Holmgren. The End.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Its well known that Holgrem wants back in Seattle, so I think this is a business tatic.
Like housh to minnesota...

Holgrem is trying to expedite the negotiations by coming out in the media and saying "by Xmas".

My hunch is that Mike has talked paul allen/Liewike already, as well as they have reviewed maybe even several other GM/VP canidates.

Or.... Holgrem is giving up on Seattle because they are not contacting him or didnt give him what he wanted.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Striker, man, I love your enthusiasm and loyalty, but where in your statements do you justify Holmgren being any LESS of a gamble than anyone else? You yourself said he was average as a GM. His talent is in coaching and he won't get to do that as a GM.

As for Zorn, he obviously does not have head coaching talent. He probably needs to work at a lower level like a position coach or maybe a coordinator. But nothing I saw from him leads me to believe he is better than anything else we have.

Reaction score
I'm kind of hoping that Holmgren signs on with Cleveland, and I hope he does it soon. Then the Seahawks front office can search for the best GM candidate available without the pressure from the cult-like Holmgren followers. A person's name shouldn't give them an advantage, their ability should.

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
18, I simply believe when he is focused on GM without having to be the HC he will do a better job. Before his main role was HC and GM was something he wanted control over but was not his main focus. I also believe Holmgren will be able to lessen the gamble on finding the next QB of the future. The man coached Young in College, Montana, Young, Favre, Hasselbeck in the NFL. Not to mention we need a line and we all know what happened to the one Holmgren built us *Cough Ruskell Cough*.

If there was ever a time we needed a GM to find us a QB it is now, otherwise we may suffer from a failure like Jamarcus Russell. None of us want to see that happen.

As for Zorn, I believe he was a highly respected coach here is Seattle. He was Holmgrens understudy and seeing Holmgren stand up for Zorn when the Redskins stripped him of power showed me the connection between them is still strong. Zorn is getting a harsh reality of coaching due to the team he decided to go to and the level in which he jumped too. The jump from Positional Coach to Head Coach is very tough in the NFL especially when you coach a team who tried to buy its way into the Super Bowl.

What I did see from Zorn was an improvement on Jason Campbells accuracy, his TD/INT ratio, and Fumbles under Zorn despite not having the talent around him. This will be key for molding our QB of the future once Holmgren drafts him, as you said Holmgren will not be coaching. Zorn however in a OC role with us would benefit us greatly.

Reasons Holmgren is less risk than waiting.

1. Anyone have another name on your short list who is available or you think would do a better job?

2. He understands our strengths and weaknesses better than any other candidate could, rightly so he has been with us for much time.

3. Holmgren has seen some success as a GM just as he has seen failures. Some seem to forget Holmgren drafted Hutchinson, Alexander (as much as I hate the guy he is an example of a solid RB), and traded for Hasselbeck. He has an eye for talent on Offense.

4. He already has the respect of the organization and would be welcomed as a Hero more than a GM we would be walking on eggshells with.

5. He brings that Winners mentality to the organization that we seem to have lost. It all started when he had one foot out the door, he has recharged his batteries and is ready to commit again which means we are ready to win again.

6. He loves this team, these fans, and this organization. This is not just a stepping stone for him, this is home. He wants to be here, and that can be just as important as any other reason to hire him.

There are concerns with brining in Holmgren and I understand these. My personal problem is that he is entirely Offensive Focused. This means drafts will likely be O-Forcused, much of the time. Especially with the shape our O is in now. So what are we left on D? Do we have enough to get by on? I would like to hear who he would bring in as D Coordinator/Head Coach should he make those changes. With Zorn back as the O-Coordinator I think it would be best to have a D minded coach/coordinator to focus on making up for the lack of defensive skills Holmgren possesses.

There is my take once more, I know it is always a long read. So who do you think will be on our staff next season? GM/HC/OC/DC?

GM: Mike Holmgren
HC: ? *Not Mora*
OC: Jim Zorn
DC: ? *Not Bradley*

I don't think if we get Holmgren or anyone worth a damn that our owners idea of them joining us will stay put. I see many lost jobs in Seattle, and I see that even if Mora is HC as he is getting fed up and sounds like an overhaul in his image is coming anyways.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Striker said:
Before his main role was HC and GM was something he wanted control over but was not his main focus.

This is a completely false statement. 100% false.

Striker said:
What I did see from Zorn was an improvement on Jason Campbells accuracy, his TD/INT ratio, and Fumbles under Zorn despite not having the talent around him. This will be key for molding our QB of the future once Holmgren drafts him, as you said Holmgren will not be coaching.

This is exactly where I said Zorn excels - at a position coach level. Although, I disagree about not having talent around him. And that is why Zorn has failed as a higher level coach. The play calling and overall Redskins team has gotten better since that "consultant" was brought in.

Striker said:
1. Anyone have another name on your short list who is available or you think would do a better job?

I don't know many, but the personnel guy, Steve something, from the Cardinals has assembled a nice team. But most Seahawks fans don't know anyone either. Which is my point, and scott's above. Everyone wants Holmgren just because he won as a coach and they know him. They don't know anyone else. Few recount the first four shitty seasons he had here that almost cost him his job before 2002.

Top Bottom