• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Former Lions DE Cliff Avril Agrees To Terms With Seahawks

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
I really like this move, decent age, and should fit nicely into our already talented defensive line. Details of the contract have yet to be released. Can't wait for next season!

Dane

Huddler
Reaction score
Source? I want to see what tidbits are out there about it right now :)

Dane

Huddler
Reaction score
Its all over the place now.

Friggin' awesome.

Yeah, I finally found an article on ESPN about it. Looks like it's a 2 year deal from what's out there so far, which probably means we didn't have to pay a boatload to land him :)

OP
12thManFan

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
I'm hearing 2 yr/15m Not too shabby, he'll be 27 in March, Clemons will be 32 in October, staying young at the position.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Definetly adds to our DE rotation, no doubt elevates our pass rush, but the move did suprise me...
Typicall unconventional PS/JS!

Cliff even though he played LE in Det at 6'3" 260 his body type and skill set matches the leo.
So now we have 3 Leo like players Clem (incumbant) B. Irvine (heir apparent) and Cliff (A-TRAIN!!).
Then theres BIG Run Stuffin' RED .
A nice chess piece but I was thinking someone who could contian, set the edge more (ABRAHAM/KRUGER).

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Since Kruger signed with the Browns the Hawks got the biggest fish left in the pond with Avril. Avril might turn out to be the better fit for the Hawks anyway and at the very least his sack numbers match Kruger's. There was no indication outside of media speculation that the Hawks had any serious interest in Kruger so Avril might have been the guy the Hawks were after all along.
Excellent pickup for the Hawks.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Good article. Thanks for the link.
One thing among many I'm liking about Pete and John, this is the first time since they took over the Hawks where they have made a serious impact via free agency so we haven't really seen what their thinking or strategy is on that. They are going after the 25ish free agents rather than the 30ish ones, guys that have a lot of prime years left ahead of them so these guys, Harvin and Avril specifically, factor into the team's long term future along with the rest of the young core. Not only that but all too often, trying to build a team via free agency and buying your way to the top more often than not backfires. Since a lot of them are 30 years old or older, they're getting their last big payday of their career so they don't really have any incentive to stay hungry and get after it. The injury risk is far greater with the 30+ guys as well.

Pete and John are nailing it on two different fronts. They are getting guys at the age where they need to stay focused for their next payday 3 or 4 years down the road, especially with Avril who's rolling the dice a bit on this signing by taking less money and less years for a bigger payoff after the 2014 season. So you know he's gonna be playing his ass off. And also, the Hawks aren't even building the team via free agency. They've done it the right way, through the draft while only using free agency to put them over the top. They are showing once again that they are operating well ahead of the curve and are becoming arguably the best personnel tandem in the league. They've definitely earned the benefit of the doubt from the fans.

Reaction score
I love these moves. They're designed perfectly with the long-term in mind... For example: Percy makes less than 3 million this year and makes like 14 million next year. Short term that gives us the flexibility to sign Avril and and a DT. Long-term it gets a big chunk of his contract out of the way, so we have more money to throw at Kam, Earl, and Sherman.

John Schneider is quickly becoming one of the best GMs in football.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Avril signing a shorter/less money deal tells me that he values being on good team over the bottom line.
7.5/yr is a steal for him! I thought he would be in the running for 10M plus... kudos to the FO. He made the right choice, in this defense with the 12 man, he will have 10+ sack years!

Where as in the past this regime has signed mass quanities of low risk, outcasts, castoffs to build the team up; a quantaty over quality approach; this year so far it seems they are going for the cream of the crop instead since we have our core players in place, adding playmakers and elite talent to mix to add to our already awesome team.
Explosive gamechanging chess piece for russell..... Check!

Speed edge rushing QB killing turn over machine ..... Check!

Next? Need a Interior Run stuffing defensive stallworth .... Alan Branch resign? or Ma' ake Kemoetu?

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
A few of the low risk outcasts/castoffs I can think of are Brandon Browner, pro bowler, Marshawn Lynch, pro bowler, Giacomini, fairly solid starting RT right off the Packers' scrap heap, Paul McQuistan, considered by some as one of the most underrated starting OGs in the league who was on the soup line for about 3 months when the Hawks gave him a call, heck you can even put Sherman on that list being a 5th round draft pick and converted WR into arguably the top corner in the league. I'm sure there's more too that I haven't mentioned.
Not only that but I often hear Hawk fans talk about how Pete and John have been hitting the diamonds in the rough but don't know how to spot legit talent at the top of the draft. What? The first year they were here they drafted Okung and ET in the first round and both of them were pro bowlers this year. To the chagrin of many who were ready to throw Pete and John under the bus for all those "backups" they drafted this year in Irvin, Wagner and Wilson, all three were listed in the top 15 in SI's revised midseason mock draft. They've been hitting it out of the park since they got here. They've missed one here and there, like the Whitehurst trade and picking Carp in '11 but nobody's perfect. And I like to think of it as being both Pete and John because they both seem to have equal say in personnel matters. They work well together and the two of them equal more than the sum of the two parts because they both have the same vision for the team and both are top notch talent evaluators. John made his mark with the Packers and Pete's always been good at talent eval, even back when he was coaching the Patriots.
Ever since day one I've always been a bit jealous of teams like the Steelers back in the '70s, the Niners during their dynasty, especially during the Bill Walsh era, the Cowboys of the '90s and the Patriots of the last 12 or 13 years who all have had elite personnel guys running the program head and shoulders above the rest of the league. I always wished the Seahawks could get something going like that. It's starting to look like maybe Pete and John could turn out to be exactly that. I'm sure hoping so anyway.
It's time for this team to get a Super Bowl title into the books. It's long overdue.

Go Hawks!!

OP
12thManFan

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
I do have to ask what happens when Clemons comes back? Any ideas? And what do we think the odds are Avril stays past his 2 year contract are?

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
I think Red and Clemons jobs are alittle less secure right now. Both Red and Clem have multiple years left with the club at 7M / year approximately. Cliff and M. Bennett are 2/1 year deals at 7.5/5 M a year deals respectively. I dont think we can keep all four at the end of next of season, or one of the incumbants could be cut sooner if not healthy or performing!

RenegadeHawkFan

Huddler
Reaction score
I can't remember an offseason that got me as excited for the season as this one. When we landed Harvin I didn't expect a whole lot of action in free agency. Then we grab Avril, WOW. Thats not it? Bennett too? This team is building up into a monster and i'm not sure who can figure out how to prepare for such a well rounded team. Can't wait to see what we do in the draft as well. PC/JS surprising as always.

Reaction score
I can't remember an offseason that got me as excited for the season as this one. When we landed Harvin I didn't expect a whole lot of action in free agency. Then we grab Avril, WOW. Thats not it? Bennett too? This team is building up into a monster and i'm not sure who can figure out how to prepare for such a well rounded team. Can't wait to see what we do in the draft as well. PC/JS surprising as always.

Seriously... Its insane. We still have 8 draft picks.

RenegadeHawkFan

Huddler
Reaction score
Call me crazy but i totally want seattle to draft the "honey badger" Tyrann Mathieu for the slot corner spot. Player with a chip on his shoulder, and a natural ability to cause turnovers. i like it.

Top Bottom