• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Honeymoon over in Holmgrenville

Reaction score
sigpro said:
I don't know about Holmgren as GM, remember what happend early in his career with the Hawks when he had "complete control" over team decisions? Didn't go so hot in my opinion.
It takes time though. He came into a bad situation and it took a while for him to revamp and get the kind of team he wanted in place. That 05 team was largely Holmgren's. I guess maybe I should give Ruskell the same time, but I have a problem with the guy because he took something that wasn't broken and tried to "fix" it. That 05 team was the best team in football that season and with that exact time warp team (everyone at their 05 status) I still think they could take a run at anyone I've seen over the last few seasons except the (and damn it hurts me to say it) 18-1 Patriots. I would like to see what the team looked like now if Holmgren had been behind the wheel the whole time. The one knock I do have on him is only that he stayed a little to loyal to some players. Maybe that is an important factor in having your teams total trust though, I can't even fathom coming close to the football psychology of Holmgren. I do have a lot of optimism about Ruskell's off-season this year though, so we'll see.

S

Seattlehawk94

No need for that. If you got a beef keep it over in smack...Yes, this is 94 saying this btw...To my clones, y'all will never be me but I am enjoying watching just keep it the right place...

Signed,
The Smacktalk Legend

sigpro

Huddler
Reaction score
vanillathrilla said:
sigpro said:
I don't know about Holmgren as GM, remember what happend early in his career with the Hawks when he had "complete control" over team decisions? Didn't go so hot in my opinion.
It takes time though. He came into a bad situation and it took a while for him to revamp and get the kind of team he wanted in place. That 05 team was largely Holmgren's. I guess maybe I should give Ruskell the same time, but I have a problem with the guy because he took something that wasn't broken and tried to "fix" it. That 05 team was the best team in football that season and with that exact time warp team (everyone at their 05 status) I still think they could take a run at anyone I've seen over the last few seasons except the (and damn it hurts me to say it) 18-1 Patriots. I would like to see what the team looked like now if Holmgren had been behind the wheel the whole time. The one knock I do have on him is only that he stayed a little to loyal to some players. Maybe that is an important factor in having your teams total trust though, I can't even fathom coming close to the football psychology of Holmgren. I do have a lot of optimism about Ruskell's off-season this year though, so we'll see.

Yeah I guess I can agree with that, I think he could be a GM, I was just saying I'm not sure if I want him taking Ruskell's place, I think he's done an amazing job this offseason, it's made him look like a genious. Holmgren will most likely end up in 49er vill in a couple of season when they get tired of losing under Singletary, whom I like alot as a coach.

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
Here is hoping Holmgren never goes back to the 49ers. Otherwise our division just got tougher and will continue to get tougher for years to come.

Just because Ruskell has a good looking offseason for this year doesn't make him look like a genius. His moves were conservative. The man picked the player we all knew he would pick if he fell. It was obvious and safe. I am not complaining, but it is a player who fell into his lap not a genius pick in the later rounds.

Trading his 2nd for a future 1st was a nice move, but it was more because he knows he is on his last year of his contract and cannot afford to take busts. He grabs a pick that he can call his own for the following year and later goes back up and grab a C/G. Good pick, but again not a pick that says we just got a gem. He was on the top of the charts on most peoples board for his position when the pick was up.

Personally I was very upset when we were a single pick away from Brian Robiskie and did not trade in front of the Browns who we knew would grab him. He has the best hands and is the best route runner in the ENTIRE draft. We missed him by a single pick and he could have contributed right away. He is fearless across the middle and I would personally have loved him on our team.

But this is Ruskell we are talking about not someone who will take risks. He trys to go for the easy hit just like when Branch was SB MVP and he traded our 1st for him. Figured he was a for sure thing and that doesn't seem to be the case.

The list goes on and on, but yes I agree this offseason looks his best. I hope Ruskell does so good he flys down and throws bricks at my house for ever doubting him. But as it stands, it takes more than a single good offseason to sway me from all his deconstruction of the SuperBowl calibur Seahawks.

Mike Holmgren for GM! I will fly up to Seattle (yeah stuck in Texas) and pack Ruskells bags for him tonight! If it makes you feel any better, I won't bash him I will pat him on his back and tell him he did his best as I ship him to go ruin the other teams in our division. Maybe send him to 49ers and have him allow Frank Gore to hit the FA and bring him to Seattle, or even to the Rams and we could get Donnie Avery. Perhaps even the Cards and we get Boldin, Larry, and Chris Wells. Either way it is win win to replace a known fuck up with a known legend.

Personally I believe Holmgrens beef is with Ruskell going against everything he ever wanted and would do fine as our GM and allowing Mora Jr. to Coach. I believe they have a good relationship.

Seahawks Healthy will be facing the Patriots this year in the SuperBowl. There is my prediction.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Good grief, Striker. I like Holmgren, too. Much more than Ruskell. But I think you are WAY off.

Conservative? What do we need Brian Robiskie for when we just signed Houshmandzadeh? And you have a problem with picking Unger? Maybe you should root for the Raiders and Al Davis because that guy is always taking absurd chances.

Branch was NOT the Super Bowl MVP when we traded for him. Hines Ward was, if you painfully remember...

And let me remind you of some of Holmgren's "great" draft picks:

Lamar King, Brock Huard, Chris McIntosh, Ike Charlton, Koren Robinson, Jerramy Stevens, Maurice Morris, Marcus Tubbs, Michael Boulware.

Those were all first or second rounders. Talk about picking busts. Easily a more than 50% bust rate.

So again, I do like Holmgren much more than Ruskell. But let's knock off the blind love fest. Holmgren had more than his fair share of fck ups.

sigpro

Huddler
Reaction score
Striker said:
Here is hoping Holmgren never goes back to the 49ers. Otherwise our division just got tougher and will continue to get tougher for years to come.

Just because Ruskell has a good looking offseason for this year doesn't make him look like a genius. His moves were conservative. The man picked the player we all knew he would pick if he fell. It was obvious and safe. I am not complaining, but it is a player who fell into his lap not a genius pick in the later rounds.

Trading his 2nd for a future 1st was a nice move, but it was more because he knows he is on his last year of his contract and cannot afford to take busts. He grabs a pick that he can call his own for the following year and later goes back up and grab a C/G. Good pick, but again not a pick that says we just got a gem. He was on the top of the charts on most peoples board for his position when the pick was up.

Personally I was very upset when we were a single pick away from Brian Robiskie and did not trade in front of the Browns who we knew would grab him. He has the best hands and is the best route runner in the ENTIRE draft. We missed him by a single pick and he could have contributed right away. He is fearless across the middle and I would personally have loved him on our team.

But this is Ruskell we are talking about not someone who will take risks. He trys to go for the easy hit just like when Branch was SB MVP and he traded our 1st for him. Figured he was a for sure thing and that doesn't seem to be the case.

The list goes on and on, but yes I agree this offseason looks his best. I hope Ruskell does so good he flys down and throws bricks at my house for ever doubting him. But as it stands, it takes more than a single good offseason to sway me from all his deconstruction of the SuperBowl calibur Seahawks.

Mike Holmgren for GM! I will fly up to Seattle (yeah stuck in Texas) and pack Ruskells bags for him tonight! If it makes you feel any better, I won't bash him I will pat him on his back and tell him he did his best as I ship him to go ruin the other teams in our division. Maybe send him to 49ers and have him allow Frank Gore to hit the FA and bring him to Seattle, or even to the Rams and we could get Donnie Avery. Perhaps even the Cards and we get Boldin, Larry, and Chris Wells. Either way it is win win to replace a known fuck up with a known legend.

Personally I believe Holmgrens beef is with Ruskell going against everything he ever wanted and would do fine as our GM and allowing Mora Jr. to Coach. I believe they have a good relationship.

Seahawks Healthy will be facing the Patriots this year in the SuperBowl. There is my prediction.

I couldn't disagree with you more on everyting you just said. Ruskell has made lots of great moves, everyone called him a fool to move up and get Lofa in the 2005 draft(he's too small, he's not fast enough, etc.) and that's worked pretty well, he moved up and got Carlson and that worked out well so far. yes some of his picks have not worked so far, and the jury is still way out on Lawrence Jackson, but look at his free agent moves as well as his draft moves. Bringing T.J. housh was a great move when no one thought we would land him. I still think Julius Jones can be a good runner for us.

Top Bottom