• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Keys to victory in Redskins game

Seahawk80

Huddler
Reaction score
So what do you guys think the keys to victory are in the Redskins game? Personally, I see the Rams game as a wake up call for the offense's front line...they are going to need to provide Wilson better pass protection, as 4 sacks in one game is totally unacceptable.

Washington also has the #1 rush offense in the NFL, so that's another priority for the defensive front line to focus on.

Idahawk

Reaction score
First of all Wilson was sacked 6 times in that game. Second of all is that we ran into a buzz saw in a very hungry and well coached Rams team , I think winning that game after pretty much taking a beating physically is a huge positive for this team.

The Redskins are ranked 29th in defense and unlike the Rams game plan I think we will come out expecting to need points against RG3 and Morris . I think the Hawks shine in the spotlight and play big in big games , I don't have much concern about them stopping us and I think we can stop them

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
3 words: Contian, contian, contian. Even with RG3 hobbled, the reason the foreskins are #1 rushing is there option/running game. Our front 7 needs to be assignment sound, set and contian the egdes and fill gaps. Morris and RG3 get alot of yards to the egdes stretching out defenses. It think we match up good in that regard, because we have fast, diciplined players, that are great tacklers. KJ/Wags/Hill/Kam will be called upon to keep the run game in check. I think if we do that, and just rush 4 most of the game, we can make them one dimensional and force the pass play.

Redskins defenese does not scare me, we should be able to put up 24+ points agianst them.

Reaction score
Don't be surprised if the skins DON'T use the read option much. Look for them to dink and dunk until they get browner or sherman to bite and hit some deep passing plays, it's a staple of a Shanahan offense.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if the skins DON'T use the read option much. Look for them to dink and dunk until they get browner or sherman to bite and hit some deep passing plays, it's a staple of a Shanahan offense.

Skins will run pistol and will run option, if not just the threat of it, it still has to be honored. Lots of play action, and moving the qb to the edge using his mobility, and yeah we cant bite on the run hard, or get burned, but our two CB's are very disiplined, and RG is not as mobile.

I would hope to see us be a little conservative on the defense, not over pursueing and contianing RG and the run to short gains and limit big explosive plays. the middle underneath stuff will probably be there just as it has all year.

BeerBeak

Huddler
Reaction score
the pig pen, pig sty, or whatever they call that pig place...
means that firstly it "is" an away game...... secondly our pass protection for Russel is absolutely pathetic !!!

I am not very keen on going in here with this pathetic offensive line (pass defense) bunch, after watching last week.

so, I am already looking to 2013 and the next season.

Reaction score
The Skins don't have the pass rush that the Rams do, especially without Orakpo. So, I think the pass protection should be alright. Griffin looked bothered by his knee on sunday, so I don't think his mobility will be as much of a factor as it normally would be. Stop Morris and make them throw into the (now back to full strength) Legion of Boom. Hopefully Clemons and Irvin can get pressure, they haven't done too well on the road as far as getting to the QB is concerned... Their receivers are fast, so that could present an issue... As for the offense, this is a really good defense. We haven't faced a whole lot of 3-4 teams since we started the whole read-option thing.. Good thing is we beat the shit out of two 3-4 things recently(Arizona and San Fran). Maybe that's just coincidence, but let's hope there's a correlation. Because if we make a run we'll have to go through at least one more 3-4 team after this one (SF or GB). I think we matchup pretty favorably across the board.

Push at QB, maybe leaning slightly in our favor because of RG3's bad knee.

Advantage us at RB.

At WR I'd call in a push. Their guys are faster, our guys catch the ball better.

TE advantage us, Fred Davis is on IR.

O-line, push. LTs are from the same class and both having break out years.

D-line, advantage us. Mebane was a Pro Bowl snub.

LBs, if Orakpo was healthy, MAYBE advantage Redskins.. But he's not, so Advantage Seattle.

Secondary, Legion of Boom... Need I say more? They're no slouches though, and they match up well with our old buddy Josh Wilson probably covering Tate all day. Wilson's height won't be a disadvantage against Tate. Hall is pretty damn good on the other side too, should be a tough matchup for Rice. They're banged up at safety though.

Special Teams- pretty much advantage us every week.

Just hope we can take this show on the road again.

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
My biggest points to this game:
- How well Skins can stop Wilson
- How open our recievers get on a poor passng defense (Rice had 0 catches last week)
- Pressure, pressure, pressure we had 0 sacks last week
- O-Line must better protect Wilson when needed
- How healthy is RGIII? I think that will play a large role as well

TwilightError

Huddler
Reaction score
Only thing we need is one Legion of Boomer to hit RGIII properly, and legally, in the first half of the game. Any one of them can deliver the needed punch, but I´d like to see KC or BB deliver the biggest slam of the season. Then its just a matter of sticking the fork in them, cause they´re DONE.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Just watched the Redskins/Baltimore game, that was with a healthy RG3, and here are a few of my takeaways:
Their Offense vs. Our Defense:
  • Alfred Morris is the real deal, down hill runner with quickness and power. Can take a beating, will break tackles. We need to wrap this guy up and drag him down, and keep a hat on #46.
  • Spy- Our LB and SS when playing up need to spy RG3, not pass rush. Even injured RG3 is elusive and his deseptiveness will make you pay if you take a bad angle or overpursue.
  • Mis direction- Redskins run alot mis direction, counters, fakes, toss sweeps, options, play action. We need our eyes in the backfield, hat on #46, spy on RG, and contian the outsides. ASSIGNMENT SOUND DEFENSE.
  • All the above is to limit the run game, do that and our secondary will take of the pass game.
  • Key Matchup : Bruce Irvin on Tyler Polumbus. The former seahawk RT should be a bit of a mis match for Irvin, I would think we could get pressure and sacks from the strong side. Maybe send ET up the middle a couple times.
Our O against Their D:

Redskins 3-4, Haslett blitz packages. They like to crowd the LOS, show blitz, but pull back, they look alot like Pitsburg Defense and they will bring the house. High risk/reward style of play. The biggest nutreulizer to the all out blitz, is a ISO run, right up thier ass. Need to allow RW audible to run when he senses blitz.
  • They are suseptable to getting beat off the LOS, run defense is not good. I expect Lynch to have a big game.
  • Handling the blitz> RW ability to get rid of the ball quickly, or use his feet to escape the pass rush.
  • Player to fear: Ryan Kerrigan. Has 8.5 sacks 2 FF 1 INT.
  • Savy Vet : London Fletcher, having an amazing year, 5 ints. He could easily take away some of the middle of the field and is always around the ball. This is negated because RW cant see over the LOS/cant throw slants :/
  • Special Teams: We win, they are not good in coverage. Leon will have a banner day with this slow special teams unit.

Generally on defense the redskins front 7 are big and slow, their secondary is medicore IMO, I like wilson, but can not cover man that well. D. Hall can still be a factor but is no longer elite. I dont know much about their other DB's.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Only thing we need is one Legion of Boomer to hit RGIII properly, and legally, in the first half of the game. Any one of them can deliver the needed punch, but I´d like to see KC or BB deliver the biggest slam of the season. Then its just a matter of sticking the fork in them, cause they´re DONE.

Exactly, in fact I could see GUS setting up this hit, by comitting the DE on the option and Kam waiting in the weeds. I predict that we will hurt RG3 in this game.

Idahawk

Reaction score
the pig pen, pig sty, or whatever they call that pig place...
means that firstly it "is" an away game...... secondly our pass protection for Russel is absolutely pathetic !!!

I am not very keen on going in here with this pathetic offensive line (pass defense) bunch, after watching last week.

so, I am already looking to 2013 and the next season.

Wow throwing in the towel already ?

Think about this , we gave up 6 sacks , 5 in the first half and only 1 in the second . What do you suppose changed in the second half ?

Reaction score
Part of what changed is, even our fullback is a weapon! Those swing routes Robinson was running ruined their contain. Wilson was able to scramble a little, because they had to account for all 6 guys that are allowed to touch the football.

twelvewins

Huddler
Reaction score
The more ESPN and NFL Net talk about us the more worried I get. I'm predicting a Chicago game.

Reaction score
Keys to the game? Simple...

*Which Seahawks team shows up..

If the team plays with the same intensity and discipline they had against the Niners, this game will be one Washington will want to forget. Seattle set the tone early in that game. That was one of the most physical performances I have seen from any team in a long time. If this team played that way every week, there isn’t a team in the league that could beat them, at home or on the road.

Last week, even though they won, they played sloppy and undisciplined. We'd have a big play, then follow it up by giving up a sack (bad game by oline) or get flagged.

It comes down to this, we are the better team, we just need to show up mentally ready and play like it.

It does seem like this team gets up for big games. Hopefully they can continue that.

I am predicting* (hoping for) a comfortable win, 31-17.

Reaction score
The more ESPN and NFL Net talk about us the more worried I get. I'm predicting a Chicago game.
I hear ya man. We bitch about not getting enough respect, but as soon as we get it, we get nervous.

We are getting a ton of love out there for sure. Mike and Mike ranked the teams in the wildcard round (1-8), #1 being most likely to get to the SB out of the 8 teams playing this weekend. GB was #1, they had us at #2 and were tempted to put us at #1, but shyed away because of our road record. It's crazy how much changes in 5 weeks. After the Miami game, some of us were ready to jump off the bridge. Now we're a favorite to make it to the SB.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
I hear ya man. We bitch about not getting enough respect, but as soon as we get it, we get nervous..

Thats why I hate mainstream media SO MUCH! Once something becomes a headline, every annalyst jumps on the bandwagon. Now everyone is riding RUSSELMANIA. I dont mind respect but everyone now pickin us for SB favorites is over the top. I think we are a better team then the redskins over all but the spread is only 3 pts for a reason, anything could happen on Sunday.

Idahawk

Reaction score
Might as well face facts , an ugly game in our division means something now our division has went from door mat to placemat , why do you think Reid pussed out of the cards job in favor of the chiefs ? Say what you want about the o line but you can't stop em all , a missed line change call, a great play by the other team a missed block it happens and yet we still ground it out and won the game. We own the Redskins ! We will win .

Top Bottom