• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mariners Against New SoDo Arena

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2017902433_arena04m.html

It's clear that they are hiding behind traffic as an excuse for their real motivation: they continually field a shitty product and they do not want a better product that they have to compete with.

Think about it. The MLB season barely overlaps with the NBA and NHL seasons. Even on overlap days, you would have 45,000 Mariner fans (provided they are ever any good and actually sell out) and 20,000 NBA/NHL fans (provided the arena sells out). That is 65,000 fans. How many does the Clink hold? 67,000+. So what's the problem here?

Reaction score
I have to disagree with the whole "field a shitty product" part... They aren't refusing to try and build a better team and pocketing cash like the Pirates got caught doing (in fact the Mariners lost $7 million last season), the management is more than competant and has done amazing work in a short period of time.

Don't forget in September you have baseball, football, and basketball. If the Mariners are good in september, you're looking at sell outs everyday. On a Sunday, you're possibly looking at up to 130,000 people.

Reaction score
The average attendance for Safeco Field last season was 23,411. Like Number 18 said, I don't see how it's an issue.

Reaction score
The average attendance for Safeco Field last season was 23,411. Like Number 18 said, I don't see how it's an issue.

You have to look at the worst case scenario though, you can't assume we're going to keep drawing 23,000. You have to assume at some point you'll have sellouts at all three places at once.

Idahawk

Reaction score
One way to look at it is that having multiple games on any given weekend draws more out of town fans. I would much rather come over and catch a baseball game on Saturday and then a hockey or BB or football game on Sunday , if it worked out, it's cost effective. To me being even more of a sports town would only draw more fans and increase revenue for teams, not take away .

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
NBA doesn't start until November. And simple scheduling can avoid the few conflicts that would arise. This is not rocket science. This is the fact that the Mariners basically want a monopoly on entertainment in SoDo. Isn't it odd that the restaurant and bar scene sucks in such a urban environment? It isn't that way in New York or Boston or even Denver. The Mariners want no competition so you have to go in and pay $9 for a shitty beer. Which I get, they are a business. But if they fielded a consistently good product, it would not matter. My point is, don't hide behind this bullshit traffic excuse.

Reaction score
Well, the main guy that's funding the arena (forget his name) has also offered to fund a traffiic study.

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Chris Hansen. Living in West Seattle and being around the SoDo district every day, I think that the only thing I would be worried about is the railroad. That could mess some things up. But again, not a super huge deal. Definitely not a blocker, IMO.

Idahawk

Reaction score
NBA doesn't start until November. And simple scheduling can avoid the few conflicts that would arise. This is not rocket science. This is the fact that the Mariners basically want a monopoly on entertainment in SoDo. Isn't it odd that the restaurant and bar scene sucks in such a urban environment? It isn't that way in New York or Boston or even Denver. The Mariners want no competition so you have to go in and pay $9 for a shitty beer. Which I get, they are a business. But if they fielded a consistently good product, it would not matter. My point is, don't hide behind this bullshit traffic excuse.

Not a Pyramid fan eh LOL .

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I love Pyramid. But what is south of that? My point is that in towns with consistently good teams, the town is flourishing around the stadium, not some boring industrial districts because the Mariners throw a temper tantrum any time some competition might show up.

Top Bottom