• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Position by Position, Tell me what you think

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Actually Vernon Davis was the #2 TE as far as stats go.
There's no doubt that the Hawks can shut down JT after what they did to both Graham and Vernon Davis.
But I didn't think these matchup comparisons, like our TE vs their TE, factored in what defense they would be facing.
In that case, Russell might have an edge on Manning because of the defenses each QB is facing. By themselves, all else being equal, the edge goes to Manning.

But if you want to factor in the opposition, Zach and Luke could easily have a more productive game than JT. The Hawks' D has seemed to make it a priority to take the opposing TE out of the passing game completely as they've shut down the two best TEs in the league in the playoffs.

Reaction score
And what did "My name is Jimmy" do against us?

You have a good point, I thought I would add TE's because it is a good discussion.

While JT is an amazing receiving TE, he was one of Paytons top targets; I think you have to give Zack some credit for his blocking ability and what he does for the hawks run game. I also think Luke will have a bigger game, ive heard he has been playing hurt but may be ready to go for the SB.

You put Zack Miller or Luke Willson on that team and let Peyton throw 55 times a game, they're going to get their numbers as well.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
By themselves, all else being equal, the edge goes to Manning.

I guess it all depends on how you look at it. Is Manning the better overall QB? Yes. Is it as wide as the Grand Canyon? Statistically, based on pure passing yards and TDs, maybe so. As for skillset vs skillset? No. It's not that decisive. If Manning was the QB of the Seahawks, I don't know that they even make it to the Super Bowl this year. Manning's got far better targets to throw to and is probably better protected than Wilson is.
It's really hard to compare the two because right off the top they are polar opposites in how they play the position. Wilson is faster, he's a scrambler, he gets rushing yards, he extends plays with his feet, and he's probably even got a stronger throwing arm (post Manning neck injury). Those are all things Manning can't even do.
Then there's the intangibles. Intangibles are what separates the average QBs from the great ones. Wilson's probably got the best intangibles out of all the newer gen QBs but this is where Manning's got the edge. He's more experienced and he's probably better overall at reading defenses and picking apart weaknesses. He's probably got Wilson in the accuracy department too but stat-wise it's pretty close. Both are among the top QBs in football IQ.
Wilson hasn't even hit his peak yet. I'd like to see what Wilson could do throwing to 3 or 4 pro bowl caliber WRs/TEs.

Last edited:

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
I guess it all depends on how you look at it. Is Manning the better overall QB? Yes. Is it as wide as the Grand Canyon? Statistically, based on pure passing yards and TDs, maybe so. As for skillset vs skillset? No. It's not that decisive. If Manning was the QB of the Seahawks, I don't know that they even make it to the Super Bowl this year. Manning's got far better targets to throw to and is probably better protected than Wilson is.
It's really hard to compare the two because right off the top they are polar opposites in how they play the position. Wilson is faster, he's a scrambler, he gets rushing yards, he extends plays with his feet, and he's probably even got a stronger throwing arm (post Manning neck injury). Those are all things Manning can't even do.
Then there's the intangibles. Intangibles are what separates the average QBs from the great ones. Wilson's probably got the best intangibles out of all the newer gen QBs but this is where Manning's got the edge. He's more experienced and he's probably better overall at reading defenses and picking apart weaknesses. He's probably got Wilson in the accuracy department too but stat-wise it's pretty close. Both are among the top QBs in football IQ.
Wilson hasn't even hit his peak yet. I'd like to see what Wilson could do throwing to 3 or 4 pro bowl caliber WRs/TEs.

Well I don't consider the mental aspect an "intangible". I see it as all important for the position. It is what separates the great from everyone else. I readily admit the upside to Wilson is substantial provided he stays healthy.

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
The key being Mr. Manning has to be able to have all those passes landing in their collective hands. That still is the main question. Will the previous productivity by the Bronco's be curbed by our defense and to what degree?

Secondly will the Seattle offense see more opportunities to get their numbers?

You gotta think "yeah, I could see more productivity at QB or a better running game against the Broncos." But if the pass starts to work, do you see them switching to the run...hell no. Maybe to run the clock out if they get far enough ahead.

This team is a situational ball control team. Whatever works they exploit. If Marshawn doesn't need to get carries he's not pouting on the sidelines. Same thing with Wilson. As Wilson said mic'ed up "Marshawn, I think we should just run it at em...you'll get yardage up the middle." BOOM Lynch bust a 40 yarder next series.

What more do you want for a game plan?

I feel a lot better than in 2005...that could be bad, but screw it! :)

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
This team is a situational ball control team. Whatever works they exploit.
The Hawks do that as well or better than any team in the league, I couldn't agree more. It's probably why they are here in the SB now. Oftentimes teams just try and go with what they do best, regardless of game conditions or game flow but football games almost never follow a script. Conditions change from one play to the next and the Seahawks adapt well to those changes. They have the players that can do it.

It's probably the best explanation for why they won that game in St. Louis earlier in the year whereas normally they wouldn't have had any business at all winning that night.

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
She has to wait because thats too early for all the STD tests
j/k.:D

Haha...I'm a newlywed so that's not even possibly right now mister.

I actually planned our wedding around football. Even our vacation had us on a redeye flying back to Seattle Dec 2nd to make sure I was home for the MNF game. (And I also made sure I traveled out of country on a bye week.)

But I'm not a Seahawk fanatic or anything...it's just a sport fellas, just a harmless past time. ;)

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
But I'm not a Seahawk fanatic or anything...it's just a sport fellas, just a harmless past time.

Seahawk football isn't a matter of life and death around here. It's more important than that. :D

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
Haha...I'm a newlywed so that's not even possibly right now mister.

I actually planned our wedding around football. Even our vacation had us on a redeye flying back to Seattle Dec 2nd to make sure I was home for the MNF game. (And I also made sure I traveled out of country on a bye week.)

But I'm not a Seahawk fanatic or anything...it's just a sport fellas, just a harmless past time. ;)

Congrats on your wedding! With satellite TV I can't say I'd have been that 'fanatic'.;)

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Actually Vernon Davis was the #2 TE as far as stats go.
There's no doubt that the Hawks can shut down JT after what they did to both Graham and Vernon Davis.
But I didn't think these matchup comparisons, like our TE vs their TE, factored in what defense they would be facing.
In that case, Russell might have an edge on Manning because of the defenses each QB is facing. By themselves, all else being equal, the edge goes to Manning.

But if you want to factor in the opposition, Zach and Luke could easily have a more productive game than JT. The Hawks' D has seemed to make it a priority to take the opposing TE out of the passing game completely as they've shut down the two best TEs in the league in the playoffs.

I look at it differently. I don't factor in the defense they are facing OR the QB, that would get way to complex. The only factor I consider is the position groups, in this case, TE; and HOW THEY ARE USED.

For example JT is an exceptional catching TE (joker) which is perfect for the pass heavy Denver Offense.

Zack Miller on the other hand is a all-purpose TE, can block like nobody's business and go out run routes/catch the ball. That suites the Seahawks offense which is run heavy with alot of play action. BTW PA was used very effectively on the 49ers, I hope we can use it against Denver as well.

Top Bottom