• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

sherman wanting more money?

Reaction score
CB salaries went way down this offseason. They can afford both, but they'll have to draft really well along the D-line.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Not if he wants 'revis type' money. Next two years there are gonna be some cap causalties.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
I guess I might be in the minority but I thought Sherm bypassed ET this last year as far as being an impact player goes, no doubt in my mind.
ET: 3 picks, 1 pick 6, 1 ff, 9 pd, 0 sacks, 66 tackles
RS: 8 picks, 1 pick 6, 3 ff, 23 pd, 1 sack, 63 tackles

Not meaning to take anything away from ET because I love his game. Fastest safety in the entire league and can cover more range than any other safety out there while Sherm has just average speed. But even as good as ET was last year it was somewhat of a missed opportunity as he should have had about 6 more picks than he had.
But Sherman? Trash talk or not, he truly did become not only the top corner in the league but probably the top DB overall.
Hard to tell which one will be better long term, hopefully both will be all pro for a long time. Also hard to tell if the Hawks will be able to retain one, both, or neither long term. I guess it all depends on what positions they succeed in replacing with younger, cheaper talent later on. If they can keep the price tag down on the front seven for example, they might be able to retain both. Or they could conceivably let both of them go. The Hawks are gonna have to pick their poison when it comes time to decide who they can keep and who they can't.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Sherm also had the fumble recovery on the Akers FG he ran back for a TD against the Niners too, I forgot to mention that.

Reaction score
Yeah, Sherm had more impact plays, but our corners can play the way they because they know they have Earl behind them. No team plays as much cover 1 as we do.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
I agree with both statements, Sherm had the better year, and partly because ET was playing center field.

While I would like to keep both of course, I dont know if you can have that much $ wrapped up in the secondary.
With KAM getting his deal done, (5.8M), I think you have to decide what is the better value. Since CB (especially all pro CB's) tend to get the fat stacks (8-12M) where as FS less (6-10M)
So what is the better value?

ET @ 8.5 M?
or
Sherm @ 12M?

Cutting Breno (3M) and M. Rob (2.5M) will not keep you out of Cap hell.

No I think you are talking about loosing 2 or more of these players.

Sidney 8.2M
Lynch 7.7M
Clem 7.3
Red 7M
Zach 6.8M

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/

Reaction score
I agree with both statements, Sherm had the better year, and partly because ET was playing center field.

While I would like to keep both of course, I dont know if you can have that much $ wrapped up in the secondary.
With KAM getting his deal done, (5.8M), I think you have to decide what is the better value. Since CB (especially all pro CB's) tend to get the fat stacks (8-12M) where as FS less (6-10M)
So what is the better value?

ET @ 8.5 M?
or
Sherm @ 12M?

Cutting Breno (3M) and M. Rob (2.5M) will not keep you out of Cap hell.

No I think you are talking about loosing 2 or more of these players.

Sidney 8.2M
Lynch 7.7M
Clem 7.3
Red 7M
Zach 6.8M

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/

Some of those guys will get restructured. Okung might actually make less on his 2nd deal.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
What is Okung making now? As far as making less goes, he's still progressing and improving quite nicely and would be a lot closer to his upside if the injuries hadn't disrupted his development. He'll be one of the top five LTs if he's not already. The only thing now keeping him back is probably still too many false start and holding penalties but he got a lot better with that as the season went along.

Concerning ET's speed, how about having him returning kicks? I know, it'll probably never happen since it will affect his longevity but it's an intriguing idea. I think he'd be a gamebreaker returning kicks/punts ala Deion Sanders.
Would PC tell him no if he volunteers to do it like Easley did back in the day?

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Okung is making like 5.5-6 million.

His deal have average annual of 8M and expires in 2016.
I dont think he will restructure, he has become a top 10 LT, those guys dont restructure... unless im missing something?

I must admitt its a little bit annoying to be talking about this, because in reality we are gunning for a SB next year, but we still have to think about the future. I think this years performances will determine who stays and goes next year.

Reaction score
Not saying he's going to restructure. I'm saying his next deal will likely be similar, if not less than his current one.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
His injury history is mainly a fluke that just boils down to a string of bad luck rather than durability. As a matter of fact his durability was a big reason why the Seahawks drafted him in the first place so I don't think they are much concerned at all. We're talking about high ankle sprains (no such thing as being "prone" to high ankle sprains) and the torn pec resulting from a cheap shot that would have happened to anyone in that situation.
If he's in the top 3-5 at his position, or if he even cracks the top 3, then I don't see how he'd be falling out of the top 10 salary-wise on his next deal. If the Hawks won't pay him in the top 3 then someone else will.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Okung $$ is really moot to R. Sherm conversation, his contract isnt up until 2016 so ET and Sherm will be gone or resigned by then.

Look at my list again above and pick 3 you would have traded or released to keep both ET and Sherm, cause thats what it would take and Im talking just next year.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
As far as that list goes, I'm guessing that in 3 years there's a good chance all of them will be gone. The Scharroll regime is going to try and maintain longevity and in order to do that, they want to stay young while at the same time establishing and maintaining a solid core. The guys they will try and keep are guys who are currently under their rookie contracts and deemed talented enough to warrant a 2nd career contract. That includes ET, Sherman, Okung, Max Unger, Wagner, KJ Wright, and RW. (Actually is Unger already under his 2nd contract? Don't remember for sure). Possibly Browner too but he's in a category by himself since he's under his first contract but since he played some years in the CFL, he's more like a 2nd contract guy age-wise so it's hard to tell what their plans are with Browner. But I think they will try and retain most or all of those guys at all cost if they can.
The guys who are already in their 2nd contracts, like everyone in the list you posted, most likely won't be retained once their current contracts are up. You can probably add Harvin to the list too who won't be renewed but he's not a concern right now since he just re-signed and is locked down for a while.
Pete and John are gonna be practicing a type of age discrimination in order to try and keep the team competitive. They will succeed in keeping them at the top for a long time as long as they continue to find good, cheap talent in the draft.

Basically it seems the Hawks are all in for 25-ish players but don't have much interest in players who are pushing 30.

Top Bottom