• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Tate signs with Lions

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Of course they won the SB as I predicted.
Some of us saw it coming way back in '11 when they went 7-9 after their second consecutive offseason where they hit it out of the park and operated well above the NFL curve. All for the same reasons that they will continue to compete for championships for the foreseeable future. Were you on board back then too? Didn't think so. No one outside the fan base really thought the Seahawks were going to win the Super Bowl this last year neither because "history proves that the Seahawks are a bunch of chokers. They won't win it. Never have, never will." That's what happens when you apply history of any kind to this current team.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
You mentioned a premium position, which is why I considered him as a core player. You want to let a top 5 LT walk? The Hawks would be seriously compromising themselves if they let that happen, unless they can find another cheap alternative. You can't fake it at that position. As you probably agree, it's the 2nd most important position on the team.

You dont want him to walk, but you might be forced too. You have to pick what monster contracts you have on your roster. I predict that you will have many 10+M by that time, the list:

ET
Sherman
Percy
RW

It might be hard to resign him then, you might try to get by with lessor talent at the position.
Its a crossroads they will come too, and therefore why I say he may not be seen as a 'core player'.
Core players are those that you are willing to pay the above market because of what they bring from leadership as well as a talent perspective. Thats my definition anyways.

Okung came in before the new CBA, his next contract might actually be smaller than his current one.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

If he keeps playing at his current level or better it will be similar if not more.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Making 11 this year and 7 next (Lucky for us!).

His next contract will be average 11M / year range I'll wager.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Core players are those that you are willing to pay the above market because of what they bring from leadership as well as a talent perspective. Thats my definition anyways.
They probably won't be able to pay above market for most of them. There are just too many to make that a consideration. I agree with what you're saying though about the qualifiers in being a core player. I would include longevity too, which is clearly a priority with this team. So age is just as big a factor as all the ones you mentioned. That's what puts guys like Maxwell, KJ and Wagner into the group. Those are the guys that will keep the Hawks pounding on the door for a while.

Contrary to what some might believe, the Hawks have already maneuvered their way into a good spot to keeping most or maybe even all of those guys around. I heard at the moment they only have around $76 million on the books past 2014 so that leaves a lot of room under the cap. So Okung won't necessarily get squeezed when his deal's up.
Not sure if you read this article concerning the cap situation or not but I'll re-post the link.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcypd?...dium=newsletter&utm_campaign=seattle-seahawks

szat

Huddler
Reaction score

Yeah I read it. Bob was pretty spot on with his figures, though since the article we did restructure Miller, release clem, resign Bennett, and let tate, breno, thurm walk.

And I concur; despite the nay sayers, that grade out our offseason negatively, we did pretty damn good in retaining our guys. I mean there was no shittin' way we were going to keep everyone and still position ourselves to re-sign the big ticket guys coming up on their final contract year.

Also one other thing. I know its not the most pleasant mechanism, but if we cant get one of these 'core' guys to budge in their negotiations, then we can tag 'em. That's what its there for, and the NFL give's each team (1) franchise, (1) transitional.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Also one other thing. I know its not the most pleasant mechanism, but if we cant get one of these 'core' guys to budge in their negotiations, then we can tag 'em.

Could end up being ET as Bob suggested in his article. But he isn't gonna like it if they do.

Thinking more about who is part of the core and who isn't, I guess with this team it might clarify it a bit to separate it into two groups. The inner and the outer. Or maybe the core and the nucleus. Guys like Maxwell, KJ, Kam and Wagner are on the outer while Sherman, ET and RW are the nucleus. They are all critical parts though and I see them all as somewhat non-expendable and the foundation of the team. Okung is in there too and I think the debate probably lies in which group he's in. I'd put him in the inner group with Sherman, ET and RW but that's just me. But one thing we can agree on is in the $$. Only so much cap space to go around. I just hope they can make it work and keep him around past his current deal.

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
Call it luck if you want. They've been doing it consistently since Pete and John got here. But now all of a sudden, since they won the Super Bowl, it's all gonna stop. They will be unable to keep their own house in order and they will fail at finding an influx of talent. The Super Bowl is a purely negative cause and effect thing.
Was building the Steelers of the '70s pure luck, or the 49ers of the 80s? Those teams were built purely through the draft. And they kept drafting better than all others even when the system penalizes success on draft day. All those Super Bowl wins by the Patriots, and the fact that they've stayed at or near the top for over 12 years, was all pure luck. Every Super Bowl champion throughout the salary cap era has all been pure luck. No one franchise is really better than another. Some are just luckier than others.
Maybe if Pete and John take to rubbing a Buddha statue it might help.

Yes to do it as long as they have…..luck. It won't last. Thats based upon history. You better review 9ers 80s history before you use them as an example, junior.:p The 70s Steelers were in a different era that cannot be compared to today. Patriots haven't won since tape gate broke and with the outrageous coverup by the league office I do not believe it is mere coincidence. You then get all emotional making spurious claims to what I've written previously which anyone can verify.:tdown:

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
Some of us saw it coming way back in '11 when they went 7-9 after their second consecutive offseason where they hit it out of the park and operated well above the NFL curve. All for the same reasons that they will continue to compete for championships for the foreseeable future. Were you on board back then too? Didn't think so. No one outside the fan base really thought the Seahawks were going to win the Super Bowl this last year neither because "history proves that the Seahawks are a bunch of chokers. They won't win it. Never have, never will." That's what happens when you apply history of any kind to this current team.

Rams were 7-9 in 2011 also. Your insistence this team defies history is naiveté of the highest order.;)

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Rams were 7-9 in 2011 also. Your insistence this team defies history is naiveté of the highest order.

Jeez man, are you frickin kidding me? The Rams didn't win a Super Bowl after 2011. The Seahawks did. As far as getting my point goes, you couldn't hit water if you fell out of a boat.
As for the Patriots, they were the only team to repeat in the cap/FA era. They've shown it can be done. They haven't won a Super Bowl in 9 years but they've made the playoffs and have been in contention throughout. Including the 18-0 season, which was 2 years after their last Super Bowl win. There was some connectivity there where they stayed at the top of the league after they won it back to back.
The Seahawks are on the fringe of a dynasty. That doesn't require that they win it every year. No dynasty ever has. More like 3 Super Bowl wins over 6 or 7 years would qualify. This team's got a shot, regardless of your clueless arguments to the contrary.
I can see where you're coming from though, sort of. A critical component to making it all happen is the QB. You totally missed the mark on Russell Wilson assessing him as a game manager. We'll see about that.
And if you think championships are built strictly on luck, then what's the point? Go watch poker on ESPN.

Last edited:

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Kam and Wagner are on the outer while Sherman, ET and RW are the nucleus,

Kam is a core guy, even if he doesnt make the mega $$$. Pete carrol in his statement on the signing made that clear.
Something like Kam exemplifies Seahawks football.
Yeah, dont ever leave Kam out of the group, he leads by example, and is the BOOM! in the L.O.B.

Should have been MVP in the SB

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Should have been MVP in the SB

Yeah, he pretty much killed it. Both in the Super Bowl and the NFC Title game. He took it to another level and without him, they most likely wouldn't have made it past the Niners. Overall he's probably been the #3 guy in the L.o.B. but was arguably the top performer out of the group when it counted most. Hope that's a sign of things to come and he picks it back up again next season.

Idahawk

Reaction score
Golden Tate says Seahawks' offer was 'laughable'

Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer
Golden Tate didn't realize he was opening Pandora's box when he announced last month that he was milling to take "a little less" money to stay with the Seattle Seahawks.

When the Super Bowl champions failed to make Tate a priority in free agency, he accepted five-year, $31 million offer from the Detroit Lions.

Disturbed by the negative reaction from a rabid 'Hawks fan base spitting out vitriol via Twitter, Tate took to the radio waves Tuesday to defend himself.

"I didn't mean a 40 percent discount," Tate told KIRO-FM Seattle, via ESPN.com. "I'm going to earn in one year at Detroit what Seattle was going to pay me for two years. Seattle offered numbers that were laughable. I thought, 'I've given you everything and this is what you give me?'"

Tate truly wanted to stay in Seattle. We don't blame him for joining a pass-happy team offering considerably more money and security, just as we don't begrudge a run-heavy Seahawks operation for setting a price and sticking to it.

"It's a business and I get it," Tateq added. "But I felt I was undervalued a little bit considering all I had done. I'm going to miss the city of Seattle, but I really had no choice. I did my very best to stay in Seattle. I leave with my head high."

The "Around The League Podcast" breaks down the latest free agency moves and highlights a few under-the-radar signings.

Esto Perpetua

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
Golden Tate says Seahawks' offer was 'laughable'

Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer
Golden Tate didn't realize he was opening Pandora's box when he announced last month that he was milling to take "a little less" money to stay with the Seattle Seahawks.

When the Super Bowl champions failed to make Tate a priority in free agency, he accepted five-year, $31 million offer from the Detroit Lions.

Disturbed by the negative reaction from a rabid 'Hawks fan base spitting out vitriol via Twitter, Tate took to the radio waves Tuesday to defend himself.

"I didn't mean a 40 percent discount," Tate told KIRO-FM Seattle, via ESPN.com. "I'm going to earn in one year at Detroit what Seattle was going to pay me for two years. Seattle offered numbers that were laughable. I thought, 'I've given you everything and this is what you give me?'"

Tate truly wanted to stay in Seattle. We don't blame him for joining a pass-happy team offering considerably more money and security, just as we don't begrudge a run-heavy Seahawks operation for setting a price and sticking to it.

"It's a business and I get it," Tateq added. "But I felt I was undervalued a little bit considering all I had done. I'm going to miss the city of Seattle, but I really had no choice. I did my very best to stay in Seattle. I leave with my head high."

The "Around The League Podcast" breaks down the latest free agency moves and highlights a few under-the-radar signings.

Esto Perpetua

"40% discount?" "laughable":roflmao: So succeed and profess loyalty only to be screwed over for it. Nice precedent.:tup: Dismantling by cheap skating.:whistling:

Idahawk

Reaction score
The needs of many outweigh the needs of the few . Tate's the one still talking , he feels he has to defend himself . Hope it pans out for him, because we all know he"ll never see all 31 mil of that contract

Here's his replacment
The Seattle Seahawks signed wide receiver Chris Matthews to a 2014 future contract on Tuesday.
Matthews was with the Cleveland Browns during training camp in 2011 but released before the season. He spent the past two years in the Canadian Football League with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, catching 95 passes for 1,330 yards and eight touchdowns.
The former University of Kentucky player was selected as the CFL's outstanding rookie after the 2012 season.

4 TD's and about 700 yards a year , that's Tate numbers and he"ll only cost a fraction of 31 mil !

Esto Perpetua

RAMSWRATH

Huddler
Reaction score
The needs of many outweigh the needs of the few . Tate's the one still talking , he feels he has to defend himself . Hope it pans out for him, because we all know he"ll never see all 31 mil of that contract

Here's his replacment
The Seattle Seahawks signed wide receiver Chris Matthews to a 2014 future contract on Tuesday.
Matthews was with the Cleveland Browns during training camp in 2011 but released before the season. He spent the past two years in the Canadian Football League with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, catching 95 passes for 1,330 yards and eight touchdowns.
The former University of Kentucky player was selected as the CFL's outstanding rookie after the 2012 season.

4 TD's and about 700 yards a year , that's Tate numbers and he"ll only cost a fraction of 31 mil !

Esto Perpetua

Not an easy transition for a WR from the CFL to the NFL. If he does then its a certain win. The issue with Tate isn't making all of the $31M for as you said its very unlikely, rather the making as much upfront as possible.

Top Bottom