• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

HAWKS NEXT OPTION IN THE DRAFT!!

Idahawk

Reaction score
You LOL at Flynn and bring up Applesauce Part II in the same post? Hahaha

Well Portis is on our team and Flynn isn't. So for your fantasy to happen a whole lot of what ifs would have to be answered.

Portis is under a 3 year deal and at 6'4 -205 with 4.4 speed he is far from Seneca Wallace in size. Whitehurst's deal is up and Portis will get a chance to compete for the job no matter what happens. Portis is Raw but was a top 5 QB in the combine if you put any stock into that, big arm and speed. Just because his cousin is a clown doesn't detract from JP

Reaction score
So, would you guys rather sign Flynn or give up 3 or 4 high picks to snatch Luck or RG3???

But like Ida points out, there's always Tarvaris and Portis.... you guys want that instead?

Reaction score
I'd rather have Luck, but considering the cost Flynn is the smart move. But like I said, if the Colts release Manning, he would make our offense just as good, if not better, than our defense. He'd add a TON of veteran leadership, and a QB that iss elite right now that putsbus in a position to win right now... Assuming he's healthy, no team can afford to pay $30+ mill for their top two QBs. So I don't think its all that much of a red flag if the colts release Manning.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I am okay with Flynn as long as we do not overpay. I am just not ready to praise him as a superstar that will win multiple MVPs, lead the 'Hawks to 7 straight Super Bowl championships (each, by the way, culminating a perfect season), etc.

Seahawk28

Huddler
Reaction score
Holy cow, I don't remember anybody saying Flynn is the next Mesiah. Payton?, that would have been great a few years ago with Portis on board. You're right Ida, he's no Wallace with the size the kid has, plus the speed, but we need a game manager, not a "oh shit, the play just broke down". I admit, a mobile QB, that can throw on the run is great, but they shouldn't have to in the PERFECT world this thread has gone to. Heck, T-Jack is a better choice NEXT season $ wise for the kid, but Portis isn't going to learn anything from him, except how to let the Secondary get into position by holding onto the ball 2-3 seconds too long. (Sacked!). With our OL Payton wouldn't last three games. Sign Flynn period! He's a "System" guy, but isn't that what you want? Somebody on the field that knows the play (every other brothers son on our team knows?), can see when the play breaks down, and instead of looking down the primary reciever hopeing for the Cornerback to slip dumps it off to Lynch, Leon, Baldwin comong back to help his QB, or throw the ball into the stands? Every play is a "System". F it, my vote is for Flynn, and I hope we're smart enough to get him. Not so I can say "I told you so", but for our team to WIN on a faster track than any Draft pick. We have a young team right now, but how long do teams stay young in the NFL? We need to be a force in one, two maybe three years, and will be able to stay that way for three to four. Look at the early Eightys, and then our o2-07 run. It doesn't last long. Take the guy that can "hopefully" get it done in a hurry. No matter who we bring in as a QB, it's not going to be a sure thing, but put my money on Flynn. T-Joke and Portis fight it out for the#2 position, and Chucky sells popcorn in the stands.

seahawkblitz

Huddler
Reaction score
Chucky will get lynched if he goes in the stands, much safer for him to just leave town an not come back. I like the Flynn idea, just praying he isn't another Chucky!

Reaction score
28, couple things. 1.) Remember that annoying commercial? "That Peyton, P-E-Y..." and 2.) Manning has had a bad line for a while, he's not mobile by any stretch, BUT he makes better presnap reads than any QB maybe in NFL history. When he sees blitz he changes the play and throwss in behind the pressure, he's also pretty good at feeling the rush and buying a little bit of time by stepping up into the pocket... And actually I have a third thing, the O-line played MUCH better later in the season. Its not a train wreck like it was in the preseason and early on in the regular season. Also they will get an entire normal offseason to work together... Actually Carpenter won't since he has that ACL tear, but the rest of the line will still benefit a lot from actually getting time in the offseason to work together.

Off topic a little... Red Bryant is a FA, I love how he plays and I want him back. But I think we need to rotate him in at DT a little more and get a more traditional 4-3 DE. Bryant's pass rush is non-existent.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
He's a "System" guy, but isn't that what you want? Somebody on the field that knows the play (every other brothers son on our team knows?), can see when the play breaks down, and instead of looking down the primary reciever hopeing for the Cornerback to slip dumps it off to Lynch, Leon, Baldwin comong back to help his QB, or throw the ball into the stands? Every play is a "System".

That's not what is meant when people say "system guy." They mean he only succeeds in ONE system.

Idahawk

Reaction score
The NFL is changing. Aaron Rodgers is flavor of the month and Aaron Rodgers makes plays with his legs. the few pocket passers that are left are getting long in the tooth, still winning but getting old.

Its a passing league and teams are beefing up to stop the pass, just look at Seattle , Marcus who ? Teams want to drop more guys in coverage and have the line stuff the run. That leaves the QB wide open to bust open big plays. Rodgers did that time and time again this season, roll them out move the pocket , you need a mobile QB. Is Flynn ? I don't know and I don't care because its just so far fetched to think about a deal like that its not even funny. Its one reason the RB position has become so devalued , the pass sets up the run now , not the other way around.

I think one thing that TJ got away from that hurt him this year, and that could have been because of the pect was running. He almost forced himself to stay to long in the pocket and it cost us in several games this year.

I will say this about manning or brees or brady any team they play for would take their game to the next level, you want instant results you would get any one of them . If manning is let go he's going to a team that has 3/4 of the pieces in place and he would be the last 1/4. He is a game/team changer. I think Indy better look at the Brees situation in San Diego before they do something like release a HOF QB. Best off season story IMO.

Reaction score
It worked out alright for San Diego, although Rivers Rivers first 9 or 10 games this year were pretty bad. Are you saying we don't have 3/4 of the pieces in place? Because I'd say its closer than that, I think a QB and a pass rusher makes us favorites to win the west next year.

Idahawk

Reaction score
It worked out alright for San Diego, although Rivers Rivers first 9 or 10 games this year were pretty bad. Are you saying we don't have 3/4 of the pieces in place? Because I'd say its closer than that, I think a QB and a pass rusher makes us favorites to win the west next year.

Alright for San Diego but just alright, but much better for Brees and New Orleans for sure.

I'd say more like 1/2 until we re-sign/sign guys its hard to say exactly. QB is the glaring weakness. Pass rush for sure. We will still have an o-line that's up in the air, will Carpenter and Moffit be ready for camp and can they come back or do we want them to? I'd like to see a RB with some speed and hands to go along with Lynch if we resign him. Forsett and Washington didn't do much of anything. The TE's didn't exist this year due to blocking so much, so whats Carlson's status and can Miller play like he did in Oakland? And then there are all these WR's outside of Baldwin none of them played great. I'm sure about Williams or Rice at this point.

And what ever happens at QB and who we get if anyone, could change the whole dynamic of the team yet again.

I will say this, we are far better off then I ever imagined we would be going into next season, this division will be a dog fight next year.

Seahawk28

Huddler
Reaction score
Alot of damned good points being brought out in this thread. Flip, you're right our OL is one hellva lot better than it's been the last three years, and has alot of youth, and potetial if they can stay somewhat healthy. My one problem with Payton coming in is, for how long? No doubt, the guy is outstanding, and can be a team/game changer as Ida pointed out. This being such a young team, it would be great to have somebody thats going to be around awhile though. Maybe bringing Payton in (if it's an option), and letting Portis learn from one of the greats would be the way to go? Hell I don't know. My gut feeling is Flynn would fit the bill. I'll probably catch hell for saying "gut feeling", but from what I've seen of the guy, his younger age, and coming from a provin winning "system" , I just feel this is the best bang for our buck, while keeping our draft picks, and some coin. Payton, isn't going to come cheap even on crutch's. 18, PM me or post what you mean by "System". Not being a jerk by any means, and have posted before I'm no NFL expert, but I guess I don't get what you mean by Flynn being a System player, and may not be able to play at the level he has in another. Again, no disrespect.

Reaction score
Alot of damned good points being brought out in this thread. Flip, you're right our OL is one hellva lot better than it's been the last three years, and has alot of youth, and potetial if they can stay somewhat healthy. My one problem with Payton coming in is, for how long? No doubt, the guy is outstanding, and can be a team/game changer as Ida pointed out. This being such a young team, it would be great to have somebody thats going to be around awhile though. Maybe bringing Payton in (if it's an option), and letting Portis learn from one of the greats would be the way to go? Hell I don't know. My gut feeling is Flynn would fit the bill. I'll probably catch hell for saying "gut feeling", but from what I've seen of the guy, his younger age, and coming from a provin winning "system" , I just feel this is the best bang for our buck, while keeping our draft picks, and some coin. Payton, isn't going to come cheap even on crutch's. 18, PM me or post what you mean by "System". Not being a jerk by any means, and have posted before I'm no NFL expert, but I guess I don't get what you mean by Flynn being a System player, and may not be able to play at the level he has in another. Again, no disrespect.

3 or 4 years, find our QB of the future next year and groom him under Manning.

Seahawk28

Huddler
Reaction score
IF we got Payton, I wouldn't bitch as long as we had somebody to groom, and the OL keeps the guy healthy. Be it Portis, Barkley (which we're going to play our selves out of contention), or whoever. Damn Flip, what team wouldn't like to see Manning behind center? I just worry about the long term, and I think a younger upcoming QB would be the ticket. In the perfect world, learning from Payton would be great, but it isn't going to happen. In my PERFECT world, I'd love to see Flynn learn from Payton for a couple years. That puts Flynn in his prime in our 'System' in a couple of years as well as the young talent we have on Offence. I'm still a Flynn guy because thats the most stable situation, and I think the guy will make us a better team.

S

Seattlehawk94

Manning? Yeah because a guy with a fused neck who isn't mobile is the answer we've waited all these years for..,

Seahawk28

Huddler
Reaction score
LOL..94, I'm trying to be flexable here, not wishy washy, just flexable ;). Still say there's been some damn goood points/views brought up in this thread. Makes a person kick back and think about for a second. Like I said a number of times, Flynn is my vote. AGAIN, just a gut feeling, and it makes the $'s do more for our team in the Draft/Free Agency this year, as long as we don't go bonker's on the guy AKA Chucky. Hell that being said, I'd give him Chuckies money considering he's the highest paid player on the (cough) field. At least Flynn would be playing instead of polishing his helmet

Top Bottom